night and weather suggestions

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Dubee, Aug 8, 2006.

1. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

I dunno if this is offtopic or not, but if we're gonna have day/night cycles (something i've been advocating for forever) then we're gonna need more lights or else bases are going be pitch black. I thinking that buildings should have lights built in, and maybe even have buildable lights (think like street lights). Also, vehicles will need lights too. Sweet.

2. duke

duke Former Developer (BE Creator)

It won't be pitch black/doom3. It will be more like Stalker. You light it like it's an overcast day, then add the sun, which is dynamic. Helk is also discussing local lights for buildings for lamps and stuff.

3. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

Aww, pitch black would make for more unique gameplay imo, but whatever. As long as it provides for new gameplay variation i'm cool with it. In other words, if its just graphical then its not worth the time.

4. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

As long as there's dark maps and headlights, I'm wet.

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I'd rather go for pitch black... adds more spice.

also, will the day be able to change just "getting brighter" then "getting darker" style, or will you truely be able to have a soft blue lighting as the sun comes up, and an oaky orange one as the sun sets.

6. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Source has limitations on dynamic lights, 3 maximum, since the amount of lightmaps increases exponentially with each light, eg:
    1 light = 1 set of lightmaps
    2 lights = 4 sets of lightmaps (one for each light seperatly on, and off, and then combined)
    3 lights = 8 sets of lightmaps
    4 lights = 16 sets of lightmaps
    The source engine supports up to 3 lights at the same time. Of course, naming lights the same means they are all considered the same lights, so if you have 20 lights, and they together have 2 different names, you have 2 lights.

7. Helk

Helk Member

Do you not understand I am replacing the source engine lighting system with something I wrote? all of this information you are throwing out here does not apply in any way, shape, or form.

8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I was replying to having buildable streetlights.

9. Helk

Helk Member

Ya the default source "dynamic" lights come in 2 forms as I'm sure you know
    the rad ones you can turn on/off and "real" dynamic lights for muzzle flashes, both of which kinda suck... I assumed any of this sorta stuff would be utilizing my new lighting system

projective texturing would be the way to go IMHO, if you aren't using any shadows you can get away with quite alot for cheap

10. Ghost Sonic Safais

Ghost Sonic Safais Member

Wow,haven't thought about dynamic muzzle flashes,I mean,using your system.
    That would really look good,tanks shooting at sunset,and you see the area lid up due to the explosion.

That's very cool,looking forward to have Empires become more sexyyyy :D

11. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Glad to see you plan to help out with Emp, Helk :D