night and weather suggestions

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Dubee, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Darg

Darg Member

Well with the current engine status it it still impossible to change the radiosity shadows that are saved onto the map textures upon compiling. Even if you move the sun around the sky the shadows will still look like the light is coming from the original position of the sun.

And don't even talk about using a massive dynamic light for sun shadows. Source can barely handle dynamic shadows as it is.

2. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

If you watch the Episode 2 trailer, it would appear that dynamic lighting is getting a huge boost. It might be possible then.

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Awesome :D I love valve. (and krenzo)

4. Darg

Darg Member

Excellent, let's hope for the best. Dynamic lighting is one of sources major downfalls.

5. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Seeing as Ep2 is out and all...

6. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I remember that but I wouldn't take that in but I would like to see the animation of HUD when you GET HIT by PPC. All the HUD's things get broken up, distorded and they shake there and everything and you hear louder harsh impact noise when you get hit by a lightning in the same ways as you got hit by PPC.

Now that would be cool. It felt so awesome when you got hit by PPC even you knew your mech got almost wasted after the hit.

7. arklansman

arklansman Member

How does Ep2 help with night and weather suggestshens?

8. Helk

Helk Member

Haha, lets try and keep the speculation on my work to a minimum, especially if you're not a game developer :P

The ancient HP video you were talking about uses a modified sun entity to change lightstyles, and theres 26 levels of light contribution which I can cycle between, when done over the period of 2 hours it's fine, however I wouldn't do it like that any longer. Second, the skybox is a cubemap of render targets in which a shader blends between up to 3 different skyboxes based on time of day, stalker does exactly the same thing.

Ep2 adds a shadow mapping technique similar to the one I implemented a long time ago seen here:

http://www.revver.com/video/233720/

For this to work as a sun, you basically do an orthographic render of the world from the suns plane ontop of the player to produce a depth map, then when you render the scene again, for all pixels in a radius around the player you convert their coordinates into that depth map space and check if they're occluded or not and then add light, just simple shadow mapping. the downside of shadow mapping is you don't get nice bounced lighting but the reason it would work so well in empires is it's mostly terrain and you get barely any of that anyways so it wont matter, effectively it would be adding BF2 style shadows but less grainy; all buildings would be lit properly and self shadow, and the position of the sun could be changed on the fly so that's the day/night cycle solution for the source engine. Hope that information was of some help!

9. Ghost Sonic Safais

Ghost Sonic Safais Member

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

that looks fantastic, although the shadows do look a tad sharp in many places.

also, what's the music?

11. Helk

Helk Member

a1 djuma soundsystem les djinns (trentemoller remix).mp3

No that's like 6 months old I did it myself by modifiying the shaders ingame to implement shadow mapping, as kind of a test when i was first learning HLSL it can be used on any scale I want it to be really but it's not free, each light is an additional render pass but 2-3 in a scene is fine, but a sun would only be 1

see : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_mapping for details on the concept

12. Ghost Sonic Safais

So when one sun equals one render pass,we could technicaly implent realtime enviroment lightning into source,couldn't we?
    Wouldn't Epi2 content help in this process?

Are any features in Epi2 which would make implenting such lightning madness easier?

If it so "easy to do"
    Why aren't there !any! maps availible featuring what you accomplished,Helk?

13. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

It requires coding the shaders, which you need to mod source code for.

14. arklansman

arklansman Member

Because mapping != coding.

15. Ghost Sonic Safais

Which you aren't able to do with the SDK
    Helk could only do it because he was working with Garry who own the Source License...I understand

okay,but Epi2 has shadow mapping,right?
    No need to mod the source code then?

16. Helk

Helk Member

wtf are you talking about dude, what I did was in my own mod with the stock sdk you get from steam, the reason there aren't 'any maps' with it is because I don't work for empires

17. arklansman

arklansman Member

Nobody said anything about having a source license, and I don't believe HP uses the Source License (don't take my word for it :P) but no mappers would be able to do it. (Unless of course they are also coders with access to the code. :P )

EDIT: Bah, stop beating me to these replies! D:

18. Ghost Sonic Safais

^^

Well,I'm just little astonished because there are soo many mods out for Source and none of them even !mentioned! anything about changing the lightning system.
    Garry has the source license (Gmod10),so I thought thats the reason.

Well Helk,don't you wanna share your great discover with empires :P

19. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The lighting system depends heavily on the compiler, changing lighting requires altering the compiler. You can do that, but it'll require you to distribute the newer compiler to mappers.

20. Helk

Helk Member

lulz can you elaborate