night and weather suggestions

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Dubee, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Unless you use dynamic lighting, you need to modify the compiler to have different lighting. If you use dynamic lighting, you need to make the whole map dark.

2. Helk

Helk Member

False, compile maps with rad as normal and keep the lightmaps for legacy support, then use a shader that doesn't make use of them for shadow mapping

3. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

And how do you expect to actually play the map then? You'd have to devote all resources to render the game, you can't spawn a tank or the game changes to a slideshow. Make your own mod.

4. Helk

Helk Member

This is a topic about how to do something for Empires And I'm explaining how and even considering doing the work for empires, and you tell me to make my own mod, Nice. Don't spam your uninformed bullshit and get defensive over nothing because you have some complex

5. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

What use would night and day systems have in an Empires map? No game lasts long enough to see any difference, and having random day and night maps is possible without having to use expensive shaders and alternate level processing.

6. Helk

Helk Member

Krenzo was the one who suggested day/night cycles to to me in the first place when I mentioned to him I'd be willing to donate sun shadow mapping code so I suggest you take that up with him. I didn't think about day/night cycles I just wanted better lighting on the buildings and self shadowing.

Why do you keep saying expensive shaders and stuff like alternate level processing you have no idea what you're talking about.

You're such a tool haha

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  7. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You really think that day and night cycles come with free CPU and RAM space? They do slow down PC's you know.

8. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Solo lay off; if the dude knows what he is doing he knows what he is doing; and going by that he'll have a talk with Krenzo; who also knows what he is doing...

If they both know what they are doing; something will come out of it sooner or later...

If not... Then why the hell bash something that might produce something good?

9. Helk

Helk Member

Dude all I'm gunna say is, I already programmed the feature in the source engine I think I know how well it runs :) Of course it's not free, but you act like it'll take you down to 5 fps. Empires would have the least intensive implementation because the majority of the maps are displacement or entities both of which render very fast, if you really want to know what I was thinking I'd store a static depth map for all the non moving geometry, like render the world once into it, and update it when buildings were created and destroyed, this alone would have an almost non existant FPS hit, but ofcourse we'd also want tanks and players to self shadow and cast so they'd be updated in a dynamic depth map, and finally I'd combine the results to a subtractive render pass, which would combine all of the default hl2 lighting with shadow mapping.

10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

If you want to add it so much, then do it, but if people end up complaining about the map being black, it's not going to be my fault.

11. Ghost Sonic Safais

Ghost Sonic Safais Member

I informed myself about shadow mapping in Source,Helk actually isn't the only one experimenting with it :)

I would really love (and I'm sure the rest of the community also) to see such feature in Empires,it would really add to the eyecandy,and it seems that if Krenzo and Helk work together,it shouldn't be too hard to implent right?

I don't see a reason why the map would be dark if we compile the map with rad as normal.

Guys,you wanna try that?
    You got nothing too lose,all that could happen is Empires being the first released mod to use this feature!

12. Helk

Helk Member

Oh cool! I wasn't aware anyone else had added it short of the EP2 code flashlight.

13. Ghost Sonic Safais

Well "added" is kinda too much
    A guy I know studys game design and stuff,and yesterday I had a chat with him and he showed me some stuff he was working on,including all sorts off paralax bumb mapping stuff and dynamic lightning,dunno what he's up to.

14. Helk

Helk Member

Ah, well it's good to see people playing with the shaders in source anyway, you can do so much with it, there are a few little quirks that make it difficult but alot of people don't realize the power exposed to you in the sdk

15. Ghost Sonic Safais

That's really true Helk,very good that people like you offer their knowledge to help mods :)

I know that Eternal Silence also wants to add dynamic lightning...
    having the space ships dynamically lighten up inside would look sooo good

16. Ghost Sonic Safais

Anyone of you guys looked into Modding Crysis yet?
    I'm just curious,I'm not a modder myself,although I'm interessted in that stuff.

There are quite a few big mods in produktion.
    I wonder how much you can do in crysis in the modding department

17. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Excellent work helk, I was watching HP constantly before it's website wen't out of existance... I believe I still have the old Market Video you put out.

So your lending Krenzo your knowledge and shaders huh? Was the HP Day/Night cycle done entirely with that shader or were there bits and pieces along with that to make it work?

No amount of shaders in the world would keep Eternal Silence from failing any less.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  18. Helk

Helk Member

aaaahah cold as ICE

Nah the day/night cycle used a completely different method than the one Im working on right now, one step at a time though first I just want to get sun shadows on dynamic objects working properly (it'll be like bf 2142 shadows with less suck) and if that works out I'll donate it to Empires

19. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Personally, I like the idea of night maps. Really dark maps, tank headlights, nightvision that doesnt burn the eyes with green, things of awesome like that.

20. duke

duke Former Developer (BE Creator)

You guys all know that Helk has already done this, knows the ins and outs, and has already thought of/implemented how you handle maps with it? Take it easy solokiller, he's not a nub coming in here asking for some Crysis feature, he's actually made a feature that we're going to implement.