New GUI idea (for next empires version) with a picture

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Lithium, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lithium

Lithium Member

^

what he said. It's basically to make the game more imersive by making the HUD less intrusive.

and besides: In the steam friends review empires got points knocked off for its place holder-like UI

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  2. arklansman

arklansman Member

Really I think that mostly applies to menus. e.g. Vehicle menu and voice menu

3. Lithium

Lithium Member

Yeah I plan on redoing everything like I am for the general HUD now (except for f menu that just needs to be reordered) , I decided to start with this because this is what everyone will see most of the time so It needs the most time most likely We got tons of time until 2.5 or 3.0 whatever Krenzo wants to call it

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  4. Lithium

Lithium Member

-bump-

[​IMG]

Click here to see without the legend

I used 2 ideas from the other interface thread and split the HUD because of Arklansman's whining

note:
    from reading the other thread I've noticed that some of you dont really see the point of this thread: to start discussion and for other people to throw their own concepts to the table, instead you've made the thread about the specific HUD and not discussion of how to make it better (the point of the thread)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  5. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I still think it feels far too minimalistic. I mean, sure, the current hud is cluttered on lower resolutions, but this seems to be taking it a bit too far... I prefer Kitsun's suggestions to make the current hud better, but that's just my opinion :) Couldn't you give the left and right counters some kind of (see-through) border as is the case with the current HUD?

6. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I agree with Beerdude. You have gone from the standard bulky cluttered hud, to ridiculously cluttered corners. In a game, good luck glancing down to see something in the middle of a fire fight, its just TOO SMALL.

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I'm glad i'm not alone in feeling it's too small and minimalistic. I do appreciate all your hard work though Lith :)

8. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I entirely agree with the fact that the current hud is too cluttered, but some lovely redesigning of the current hud (transparency, opacity and such) would have gone a long way aswell.

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

if the stuff in the bottom left and right hand corners was twice as tall and twice as wide, perhaps people would like it better. It COULD, possibly, if you're somewhat blind, be hard to see those numbers right in the middle of a fire fight when you are actually looking at the enemy, and I guess most people here are looking for a change of design instead of worrying about getting used to something different. Because lets be honest, if that, suddenly, was incorperated into empires, after perhaps 5 mins of getting used to some of it being a tiny bit less in your face than before, you would all be able to use it perfectly well. in other words, for those of you saying "...but it's smaller" my answer is "yes, it is. well done. enjoy the view"

also, what's with the promotion bar people seem to love at the moment. more pointless bullshit to be honest. and no, you really, really won't ever need it.

10. Caggers

Caggers Member

How about removing the ammo counters in the corner when your using the engineer tool, BE scout, assault and heavy rifles, since they have a counter on them.

11. Archanor

Archanor Member

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  12. KILLX

KILLX Banned

except that stupid star for commander (a CV would be much better), I like

13. Lithium

Lithium Member

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  14. nhammen

nhammen Member

I prefer Archanor's, except the tank health is in an odd location... I guess I'd need to see it in a tank screenshot.

15. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Lithium's is my favourite so far. I especially like the refinery counter, that's a much more useful feature than the tank counter.

Changes I would suggest:
    - Put ammo on the right, and make it vertical
    - Put building health bars on the left, above the sprint bar
    - Put the little man for the ticket counter in-between the two values
    - Change the comm icon back to a star

16. Avair

Avair Member

personally I'd prefer no hud at all, then again I enjoy playing insurgency ;O
    what is wrong with the current hud? looks like all you're doing is just moving everything around

17. Archanor

Archanor Member

I'd say that there should be a button that shows the team's statistics.
    Like the number of vehicles, planes, resources and players etc. Maybe it could be sort of like the statsboard just with more detailed info about your teamplayers, maybe their rank, class and skills.

About the vertical ammo counter, i'm sure that would just mess up the balance in the hud, and look weird.

18. Lithium

Lithium Member

yeah about having no hud: I allready said in earlier posts that I want my Hud to have customizable transparancy. if you turned it all the way up the hud would dissapier. As for moving everything around: yeah that's basically the jist of it. making everything less intrusive and whatnot.

I'd be for that, but instead of making a button just integrate it into the statsboard

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  19. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Why don't we establish what is required in a HUD?

20. Lithium

Lithium Member

because I made a mistake by presenting my idea with a picture so then everyone became obessed with critquing/making their own pictures instead of talking about fundamental things like that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.