Neotokyo

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rellik_pt, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I loved this game. I am just amazed at the negativity on this thread. Like, who gives a shit what engine it's on? Even orange box is fairly outdated compared to modern standards, and totally sucks compared to the unreal engine.

I've been getting pretty bad performance though, I think i need to defragment my computer.

2. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Well, OB certainly comes with some performance enhancements.

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

you can't see a grey box over the bright orange color of your thermal vision. I play with vision on 90% of the time, unless I'm whoring a recon spot with a sniper.

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Does it? I thought it was worse for performance because of all the new crap they added.

5. Bobbus

Bobbus Member

I love to double jump+bunnyhop+camo rush and fire off my entire clip of smg at a support guy's head while he sits there scratching his ass. Then three clips later he kills me in 1 bullet.
    My only qualm is that support is ridiculous. We had 4 of us on ventrilo all go support and camp the ghost and we were untouchable because we had so much health that nothing could stop us.

It's worth mentioning that the shooting through walls is ridiculous. After round-end I shot at a teammate's + icon because I knew he was on the other side of a building, and I killed him.
    Yes, I headshotted a teammate through a building.

6. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Yeah i die 90% all time cause of random bullets sprayed through walls

7. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I haven't noticed the Empires OB version to run faster than HL2 Empires. Although it uses a second CPU core for some minor stuff.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

They kinda say that bullets will travel through wood, thin metal and some brick just like in real life, but I think travelling through 3 wooden walls is a bit much. One, or two sure...but not 5 :rolleyes:

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

bullets lose all velocity after 20-30 cm under water when shot in water

10 cm of water and a correct angle can stop bullets, a perfect angle can even deflect them

i saw that on national geographic

10. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

Neyotokyo is a game of awsomes xDxDxDxD :D:D:D ITS SO AMAZING. Lol some bluddy funny moment too :p Detpack anyone? rofl (omni and trickster and Napalm will understand :p)

11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

They tested on mythbusters. A super sonic bullet doesn't penetrate more than 4 inches if you shoot water at between a 15-35 degree angle. slower projectile speeds = more water penetration.

12. Rellik_pt

Rellik_pt Member

the game is not to be play all the time with the vision on. and the compass is more a addon for the guy with the ghost, me and 3 guys ask about a radar or something like that and they give us that and we aprove that.

but i agree that the compass needs a better color

13. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

well, I mean if it was at the top of the screen, it wouldn't be out of visibility when you do have vision on.

all I'm saying is that at the top of the screen it would help when you have thermal or motion tracking on. it would still be difficult to see, but yeah.

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Doesn't make sense. With motion vision on I can see everything that moves, and I can still lookout for those that don't. Granted, this is a newbie crowd and i'm a newbie, but it doesn't make sense to have a vision mode that is much more useful than regular vision in a game, and then say it's not meant to always be on. That's bad design dude. And like in Empires, we've learnt all you can do about that is work around it and really, give people the indicators that they want - e.g. big red crosses over teammates.

The compass is a bit crappy, more like something tacked on, and it's really not deserved of the rest of the mod. But again, what's particularly silly, is the lack of a minimap. NeoTokyo has very good level design, but it means you need to find your way around. To negate the CSS-like "you must know the map" play that is so ridiculous, you'll need a minimap. Even if all you can see is yourself and sectors (and yes, the fact that CSS has a minimap hasn't escaped me either).

Now the second reason a minimap is so important is for the use of a ghost. Expecting your team to rally around you when you have it is unrealistic and simple. It's exactly the same as trying to get people to always follow your commands in Empires. Sure, it will happen sometimes, and in clans one hopes all the time, but if the game is to survive public gaming you need to accept that not everyone will, and you'll need to give some help to those people. Adding a minimap enables you to call the area where enemies are likely to be. It doesn't have to be right - you might have to guess the distance properly to know they're in the train tunnel, or carpark, but that's fine.

In the end, it doesn't even have to be a minimap, it could be a call up map that you can consult whenever you want. And maybe displayed for those long 10 seconds at the start and end of a round (that I presume you need to randomise the start locations and ghost, or maybe selection time is just too long).

NeoTokyo will probably survive a long time, but it's a game where people can easily be turned off. You need to do a few of these things to make sure it keeps appealing.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  15. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

Wow, I played it more and I found it to be more badly designed.
    I mean c'mon, who had the fucking retarded idea not to include cvars like mp_limitteams, mp_autoteambalance, mp_winlimit and mp_roundlimit? These so basic.

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

They didn't think about it, just like on their site they notice they didn't release a manual and are sorta "er...lol, wut? D'oh dear.."

Rofl.

17. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

My perf on the game was stellar with 16xAA and 16xAS....but that may have something to do my having an OCed Corei7 and GTX280.

As far as the gameplay goes....Krenzo, you need to rage less. Seriously. Wanting it to fail? I'll be honest, this game CAN be midly frustrating until you get the hang of the maps. After that, I personally (and that's the key word right, personally) find this leaps and bounds ahead of empires in terms of enjoyment. No griefing I've seen, players are friendly...and the classes are fun. I love recon...and support can be enjoyable.

I hope the mod continues to get improvements.

18. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I'm raging because Smashball came out a few weeks ago, and I couldn't drum up any interest in it. Most of the responses were "mod xxx should have gotten on Steam; not Smashball." I'm creeping closer and closer to unemployment. Neotokyo on the other hand posted weapon renders and other usual hype material and got all the CSS kiddies frothing at the mouth.

19. OuNin

OuNin Member

Needed more media releases.

20. Dr. Turtle

Dr. Turtle Member

sooo...its a japanese mod?