Neotokyo

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rellik_pt, Jul 1, 2009.

1. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Does that automatically make the game worse? You do not have to have the most recent engine to make the game better. Except maybe graphics-wise and other things that I don't know OB engine does.

2. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

The difference between Neotokyo and Dystopia/Fortress Forever is, that NT will become one of the most popular HL2 mods around. NT devs clear intention was to make a mod that appeals to the CSS masses and they did that pretty good.

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I found the game full of great lols.

I found that if you always go the opposite way of the rest of your team, wait a minute forthe guns to start shooting, then run in, everyone is facing the wrong direction. It's great. 7+ kills in the first round.

the end guns for the lieutenant rank are the most fun. The greatest downfall of the game so far is no knifing icon :( that and you can clip through enemy players. (makes it hard to get close enough to knife sometimes)

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The good:

CSS only improved (but I like CSS, proper stock CSS, so bare this in mind). The invisible stuff, special visions, recon extras add a real different dimension to it. The CTG is good, but I haven't really found anyone using it to relay info to their team yet. But tactically, there's much less camping than CSS, but you can still win even if your entire team sucks. Hints.

The game is visually very stunning, and I do like it a lot.

Levels are really well designed, and the combat would flow very well but, they are quite big and they need...
    The bad:

MINIMAPS. Please dear lord, we NEED a minimap for the levels. They're intricate, and that's fine, but when you're running in the wrong direction constantly, it just gets annoying.

Weapons need a lot more variation. Need pistol choices. It really is a case of, get a good start and you'll dominate the rest of the game. I had a good first round and got 4 kills, and since that I just dominated becuase I always had the better weapon, and they get better REALLY quickly.

CTG as the only gamemode could do with getting fixed.

The teams are often hard to tell apart.

I don't see the issue with gameplay being slow at the start, but it does tend to grind when its the last 6. I do know the devs intended 24 player servers though, not 32 like we at g4tc run.

I think the classes definitely need more variation though, I mean seriously, support is pointless unless you have the last weapon or the entire enemy team is recon, and even then you can't tell your team apart in motion(assault) vision or thermal(support) vision, so you end up TKing a lot.

Teambalance needs adding, as well as spawn protection to stop people dropping a det pack in spawn and wiping out your entire team with a giant team-kill. I did this a few times....fucking hilarious. KNIFE ICON.

More variations in weapons being, not just "SMG1, SMG2, SMG3, assault rifle, assault rifle supressed, shotgun (WHICH YOU CAN ONLY HAVE 1 SLUG AT A TIME IN AND HAVE TO FIRE OFF A ROUND FOR IT WHICH IS PURE ANNOYING) crappy sniper rifle. The only variation is with the end-game weapons. Before it you just have a few generic SMGs, some of which are silenced. And 2 assault rifles, some of which are silenced. I mean, look at CSS. You got the AK and the M4, which are a HUGE contrast in terms of usage. You got the krieg and the bullpup, with their special zoom. The clarion with it's burst mode and the IDF with the bigger mag. Aside from one semi auto rifle, there is just no "NOTICEABLE" variation. If it's in the future, why can't we have some creativity? Add a stupid grenade launcher, or something with bouncing bullets. I don't care, think outside of the standard box. And again to reiterate, PISTOL CHOICES. And before you say Empires doesn't have that, Empires has tanks, an RPG and a mortar, a burst weapon, 2 very different smgs (like m4 and AK), 2 very different rifles, 2 very different pistols and a HMG. And we don't like the scout rifle in general because it doesn't fit in with gameplay. Above all, these weapons have differences which are EXPLAINED unlike in NT, in which you just have a picture. Barely even a name unless I use a magnifying glass over it.

Add more maps: That train one in the trailer looked awesome, where the hell is it? If you had 20 maps, why only ship with 10? Give us the variation and just keep adding maps, don't be lazy and give us 10 and live off those other 10 for the next few releases.

FFS node_graphs, I'm sick of downloading a .ain every time. But I spoke to the devs of that and they're gonna add them next time

And why not what Fricken Hamster said? They have Recon units which can jump far and Support which can take a lot of bullets? Why not add stuff like that, If it's 1) Japan, 2) In the future, think outside of the box. I mean ffs, you have guys going invisible and jumping 10 metres. Stuff like that should be nothing in comparison.

It may seem like i've wrote a lot more about Bad than Good, but I do like the game, it has a lot of potential, it's just a matter of seeing what the devs do with it. I hope to see more updates in the future.

5. OuNin

OuNin Member

I expected cyberpunk Insurgency and I got cyberpunk Counter-Strike. :|

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Another thing, FPS. I get a much lower FPS on this game than any other source game with the same settings. The maps feel really unoptimised.

7. Rellik_pt

Rellik_pt Member

also during my playtest time everyone uses the mic to play(after the release i think the new players are mute) they join a squad to gain more points and to see the name of the teammates,(new players dont even join when i said to join a squad 300 times, idiots)we use the visons(new players dont use)supports use the smoke with thermo(its rare to see smoke in the servers now)recons use the detpack next to the ghost to kill the enemy(new players dont use).

In general people dont know how to play yet, so of course the game is going to suck(ragequit alot in the servers lol) if your the first to die and have to wait the entire round

but dont say that the game is not pretty our very detail becuase that is bullshit. about the css like i dont agree that

edit: there is 2 maps that seems to be bad fps in this build, but never happen in the beta build.

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Are the sniper guns supposed to be overpowerd like in CSS?
    Cause when you get a sniper and activate heat vision its gg for the enemy team.

9. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The OB engine has multi-core support among other extra features.

10. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

I dont care about any of the OB features except -noborder, how can anyone live without it. Until either the lame gameplay and the missing -noborder is going to get fixed I won't try the game another time.

11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

the game doesn't need a minimap. You are supposed to do 1 of 2 things: capture the ghost or guard one of the extraction points. Extraction points are opposite ends of the level, and you start off in your enemy's extraction point. Ghost is marked on your screen rather vividly.

also, the det pack thing, lol thats great.

12. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

They are...wierd. Theres strange PVS issues that crop up on certain maps, like the tower one with the sky bridge. Half the time, I'll lean around a corner, and the entire hallway will not be rendered, because I'm out of PVS for that hallway.

13. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Rellik, you have obvious like for the game, but this is just too unappealing for this community. Empires is a game that requires a lot of patience, but this is just boring tactical shit. Without tactics.

I doubt that this game will become popular as someone said in their post because of "the CSS market appeal"..

You been playing CSS lately?

All the filled servers are Zombie Mod and Surf and Rpg and WC3 and all this other stupid trash. Oh, and 24/7 DM. Good luck finding a good server with alternating maps with constant player flow.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

That might be the lean messing up, because the player centre is not the lean centre.

The obvious problem with 'the CSS appeal' is that CSS already has all the CSS appeal you could ask for, it's like making another operating system which works exactly like windows but isn't windows, very silly.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  15. Androc

Androc Member

Overall, I would probably file this game under 'alright'. It can be great fun when the teams actually know what they're doing, but it does suffer from the issues that have been mentioned all over this thread. At this point, I'd really say it's an issue of what gets patched in.

Seriously, my kingdom for a goddamn hit indicator.

16. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

minimaps.

or compass at the top of the page.

17. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I'm kinda surprised at some of the comments tbh. This is not really like CSS, and it's not really insurgency either.

In both CSS and Insurgency you have a really low survivability that is somewhat negated in NeoTokyo. I frequently get shot a bit and still manage to retreat and approach from another direction, you can't really do that in CSS as each encounter either leaves you will pretty full health, or none. In Insurgency, a lot of people merely camp a spot and you come round a corner to get pwned. In NeoTokyo you can be cautious and be reasonably sure you'll be rewarded for it. Camping is negated by the different vision modes and ultimately the Ghost, and while rushing is not crippled at all, you just can't take on 3 people at once and survive without cover.

In CSS it's all about knowing the map too, but although NeoTokyo sucks a bit without a minimap, you move through the level being aware that you can encounter enemies anywhere. CSS also generally only has two approaches, which are locked down pretty quickly, something INS also suffers from - major chokepoints. NeoTokyo, has these too, but seems a little more accessible, and enemies may be circumvented.

Unlike some, I haven't been waiting for NeoTokyo, so i'm not disappointed in the result. And while there are some fairly big issues with the game, I think it provides FPS gaming where thinking and caution are usually rewarded without camping being too, which I don't often see. It's not a great game that could keep me occupied for a week, but it's a much better alternative to CSS and INS imo, which is engaging enough to really play because you can't just either rush or camp, you have to do something in-between.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  18. Rellik_pt

Rellik_pt Member

There is a compass in the bottom.

19. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I love to double jump/stealth rush enemys and mow them down
    with a whole clip of my smg bevor they realize what happened.

20. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

It sucks (due to the way the weapons work). I prefer css or real sealthy/tactical games.