My POV of how to improve Empires gameplay... #1

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by chernobog, Mar 29, 2016.

1. chernobog

chernobog Member

First Person Shooter Component

Add walking
    Add leaning for peaking with small penalty in accuracy
    Crouch position/stance should also be toggle as prone
    Add iron sights to all firearms
    Add selective fire to all automatic firearms

Research Component

Machine Gun and Missile turret should require research, 60 seconds each

Add unarmed APC and IMV(Infantry Mobility Vehicle) with MG turret, IMV example:
    [​IMG]

Only Jeep should be available from start in Vehicle Factory

Tier / Vehicle / Research Time
    Tier 1: Unarmed APC 60 seconds
    Tier 2: IMV 90 seconds
    Tier 3: Armed APC 120 seconds
    Tier 4: AFV and artillery tank each 150 seconds
    Tier 5: Medium Tank 180 seconds
    Tier 6: Heavy Tank 240 seconds

Other

Add a non semi-automatic revolver based on Mateba 2006M with considerably greater damange and lower accuracy and clip than Brenodi .44 pistol for Nothern Faction

Add a single shot heavy anti-materiel rifle based on RT-20 for Nothern Faction Grenadier as alternative to RPG+Mortar combo weapon, 145 max and 130 minimum damage, longer reload time and can only be fired from prone position and damage to user by 10 hit points with only advantage being faster travel time of the round compared to the rocket.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

yeah empires totally is the leaning and toggle crouch kind of FPS ...

3. chernobog

chernobog Member

You have something against leaning and to toggle crouch rather than it depends on continuous pressing button for crouching to stay in crouch position...? Why not?

Leaning will add to the meta of empires...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  4. Neoony

Neoony Member

alias duck_t "duckon"
    alias duckon "alias duck_t duckoff; +duck"
    alias duckoff "alias duck_t duckon; -duck"
    bind "ctrl" "duck_t"

why, would anyone wanna do that in empires....I dont know...

u can also walk by binding +walk / -walk
    but why?

Its like as if you would want to walk in a quake game....

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  5. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Well plenty of games have the option to choose between toggle crouch. Personally I would find this awful as Gren seeing as you can only fire mortar crouched.
    And although it looks really fuckn wierd to see grens hopping all over the place and popping mortars out of their dicks as they slam their bum into the ground it does kinda work and its probably the most fun weapon in the game.

I don't really know how I feel about making APCs researchable. It has been suggested before but it would create a bunch of problems - one it removes a (subjectively valid) strategy of an early APC rush or early mobility - which already has risk/reward to it. One mine or gren and you can start on the back foot as easily as the front. Also it would make any tree it was in the defacto standard first tree, and by extension first armor and engine unless they were terribad.

With the additional chassis - we can't even balance the ones we have & I still think the main problem with balancing factions is the asymmetry in heavy tank slot allocations because it forces you down the road where you are balancing weapon damage outputs of the 2 slot "medium" weapons in a situation where they are going to be doubled up & then with the additional of another. Its never been balanced despite several people taking prolonged attempts.

6. Neoony

Neoony Member

Yeah, sprint + jump then crouch and fire mortar when u land is quite essential to being agile dodgy Gren xD
    Probably the most useful Gren movement trick xD

A-z-K likes this.
  7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Apc and whatever would be in mechanical tree of course. I would have to say I don't think mechanical should have an engine or armor if you did do that though. Put gas in chemistry and compo in biology? I don't know. Or better yet just have a chassis tree, there's room for one more tree, and give mechanical some weapons or turrets or something. He does say jeeps are still there without research, but problem here is nf having 4 seaters and be having 2 seaters. I'm honestly indifferent about, mostly because it lengthens the early game a bit but at the same time lots of early game choices for research go out the window. After all there's no point in spending the first 3-5 minutes of research on anything else other then those basic chassis. Might screw over the losing team a tad more too, you tend not to have early game radar because of no refs and now you have a harder time taking ground and refs because no apcs to fortify forward positions. It would kinda create a snowball effect, and that's bad.

Still kinda think turrets belong in mechanical.

I also doubt leaning would mean much in empires with mortars everywhere. Or even worse having a pixel tall head behind a wall that can easily shoot you but you can't shoot back. Seriously though why do want to slow down empires? Half the fun for quite a few is how fast it can get.

8. flasche

thus why stamina increase > speed upgrade, you cant have enough stamina as gren :D

also yeah, its the pace of empires which makes toggle croch and lean quite useless, theres games where there is a place for both, empires isnt.

9. Neoony

Neoony Member

Never felt the need to use stamina upgrade over other perks.
    Even though you never have enough stamina as Gren. Its kinda enough, if you manage it.
    Speed upgrade is n1 perk D:
    Even though stamina is generally really useful thing for Gren.
    Speed upgrade makes you fast wherever and into all directions. Espectially a need when fighting tanks and keeping them too close to you, so they cant attack you. (and dodging bullets, strafing)
    It increases on other things, not just increases capacity of sprint/jump stuff.
    But I think I also didnt use the stamina perk for years, gotta try it sometime. But it just doesnt seem as useful :P

Without speed upgrade I feel so slow, I really hate it XD

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  10. flasche

you can just run and/or bunnyhop to gain speed you now have enough stamina to do so.
    but its an age old discussion we wont settle here ^^

11. Neoony

Neoony Member

Thats just still so much less effective.

12. chernobog

chernobog Member

You claim it would create bunch of problems and then you say a problem is valid... *facepalm*

The issue isn't balancing for Heavy Tank itself, it is its design and design of Empires in terms of weight since in Empires a stronger engine does not increase how much weight can HT handle nor it allows for more weight to be loaded on its chassis that results in speed penalty which simply shows the flaws of the weight system, also lack of imagination on part of development team with a issue that is simple to solve even with such a simple/crude system based on weight...

Balance issues comes from either of what lacks/missing and forcing simplicity while also forcing complexity which empires suffers from both.

Gas in chemistry makes sense while composite to me does not, there should be metalurgy tree...

Why does BE Jeep only a 2 seater in the first place?

You're simply expressing what I marked with underline is what you want to believe, would not be surprised if you're type of person that would rush researching heavy tanks...

Please, don't grasp the straws as you claim and want to believe the opposite of what would happen.

Its almost like you never played Empires...

Please, do it for me... Ignore infrantry maps, please... Expose yourself.

Don't make assumptions, what opposing team can do is what you can do... It is all about competence...

Again. That is what you want to believe, it won't slow down Empires at all except if you think Balance=Slower...

Hey, that is want you want to believe as you probably ignore infrantry maps... If you want Empires to be CnC Renegade, CnC Tiberian Sun Reborn and CnC Red Alert A Path Beyond then play those games...

13. flasche

smartypants ive over 9 years with hundreds of hours of empires on my back, you gotta come down my street before you can tell me what this game is and what its not ...

... especially if you come at me with this attitude, in not speaking out of my own perception and some spooks in my head, but experience.

its YOU coming here telling age old players how they have to percieve their game, so maybe YOU go bugger off to arma and thelike if you want to cower behind bushes for hours. we want to bunnyhoppingly shove our mowtar down other players throats, tyvm.

i mean go tell us your perception, all fine with me, but dont act up like you know shit if we tell you that you perceive things completely wrong in terms of empires.

14. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Why would you EVER want to walk, in Empires? Too gentle to run?
    This ain't CS bro.

Also, you should tell us "why", why should we implement your suggestions?

Oh and, WATCH YOUR ATTITUDE.
    What's with that offensive/taunting tone?
    Telling experienced players how they should perceive this game with 25 hours of experience on your back?

Excuse me?
    [​IMG]

15. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Hey looks like noobs are invading our forums too, just when I thought I could get away from them...

16. chernobog

chernobog Member

Great, more assumptions which doesn't surprise me anymore and thank you for that...

*facepalm*

Why should I do what I have already done so and it is self-explanatory, except if you lack imagination.

My attitude is that of dissapointment which is caused by many things, including assumptions...

My biggest dissapointment that with all things added to The Empires, it didn't get better since 2.2-2.30 ...

This only reflects 2.7 version and not pre-steam/pre-standalone version.

I'l lay down a smackdown...

That is funny since by your own standards you classify yourself as a noob, thank you for roosting yourself...

Making assumption simply by looking at hours I have with standalone Empires? Steam doesn't register pre-standalone...

If what you say its true, then I must inform you that it doesn't change anything...

I like how you played age card right after experience... I am younger than you, that doesn't make you more experienced also its funny that you mention bunnyhopping... Reminds me of my days playing Quake 1-3/Live, Half Life/Counter Strike, etc... You're the old guard, full of pride and elitism...

I have played ARMA and ARMA/OP:CWC...

I don't act and I know the shit, it will sound egoistic to you and you played age card right after experience as you're the old guard that is resistant to change.

17. flasche

god no im a proponent of change, just not headless uninformed change because of todays newest fad thats all. and especially not changes in complete opposition to the games current state (especially if its not reasoned at all)

also age old in the sense of empires-game-time not your physical age, i can only assume you are younger because im indeed a bit old in videogame terms, yet it basically only still was the same expierence card i started with ... and it was called strafejumping in quake.

18. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I think you have mis understand my statement regarding removing APCs from base research. So I shall try and clarify:
    I am saying that it would remove the possibility for an early APC Rush (i.e. Sell the barracks, drop a VF, rush around in an APC or directly to the enemy base and kill the Commander within ~2 minutes).
    I go on to say that the strategy is subjectively a valid one. Some people find it out of character with the traditional "area defense" premise of the game, others find it a ballsy all-or-nothing move.

Regarding balancing on heavy tanks, IU am specifically talking about the difference between the number of 3 slot weapons that can be added. Cannons (broadly speaking) have similar mechanics (high speed & arcing trajectory). Whereask Missiles have several "modes", some are fast, some are slow, some are homing/guided, some are dumb fire, some have huge AoE, etc, etc.
    I am talking about both factions having the same hard points available which would allow weapons to be balanced purely on their own merit - with no regard necessary to how it would upset balance between the factions if they are stacked together in pairs. Your suggestion that this assymetry can be balanced out by weight doesn't address my concerns of heavy tank slotting assymetry being a limiting factor in developing all 2 & 3 slot weaponry.

With all the other stuff I don't care how long you've been playing or not playing. Your opinion is as valid as anyone elses if it is how you feel but you might want to reel your neck in if you want a productive discussion that actually considers the merits of your suggestion. Whilst you aren't the only one, you're coming off a mite aggressive and its not really called for. If your suggestion is worth defending it is worth doing without punching below the belt.

19. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Alright, here's how it works.

Apologize for your shitty attitude and quit with that tone, or I'll have you on my "don't read this guy's suggestion" list.
    I don't even care if your suggestion is any constructive, that tone is just unacceptable.

Done with this thread for now.

20. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

It's actually the amount of shit you're spurred out of your shithole that makes me call you a noob. Welcome to my ignore list