LF nerds for D&D 5th edition

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I am sorry for using intimidation attacks on wild animals.
    especially when I roll 20+ both times.

I was not trying to kill them, I was trying to scare them away going by using the book on how to scare animals away.
    But apparently your monsters don't follow the rules.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I meant the grapple and two punches afterwards, intimidation was legit and I was about to let you scare 'em off with just one more, easier, roll.

3. BigTeef

The goddamn punches were intimidation attacks.
    The hit on the nose, me failing to bite the ear.

You never did morale checks.

He exploded a goddamn wolf and I killed 3 of them with my weapon.
    How are they UN-phased?!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  4. D.D.D. Destroyer

Well you fist-attack all the time, I totally didn't consider the intimidation factor. 'Sides, I don't know how much this should affect those, I feel like not too much.

5. BigTeef

Destroyer, sirus made a animal explode and I managed to kill 3 of them.
    Wolves are not retarded animals, regardless how buff they are.

They lost the number advantage, party almost wiped because of several bad rolls and you not making morale checks.
    I died as a result because the GM forgot about enemy morale, where Kane enabled you to pull some bullshit.

I am not not making another character so I can Job around again and die when I get fairly powerful.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  6. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Yeah, back to lvl 1 is bullshit, should give him a lvl 3 character at least, 1 level lost hurts more than enough, infact I would go so far and say just reset to lvl 4 +0xp. ;/

7. BigTeef

No, collect the 7 dragon balls magic wish rings and tell destroyer to stop being a bitch.

8. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Someone should grind a cleric or wizard, cast resurrection or wish. At least for teef we still have an intact body.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Damn guys, I didn't think it would be this bad.

But when you say stuff like that, I know you don't realise just how much we need healing to stay alive.

I love you guys, but the fact of the matter is the characters are all hitters. Great hitters, I'll grant, but since the mermaids where Kevah was just throwing them around things have gotten a LOT harder. Around 3 times harder normally, and with spiders...well...I loved the setup, it was epic, but that fight was madness.

It's early days yet for Destroyer, and I think he's doing a pretty good job, but there will still be mistakes, and it's our job to help him as we play. We can't always ride monsters or use people as weapons, because we know that's crazy and will mess things up. Sure sometimes we can be ridiculous, but it's just not necessary all the time.

And our DM needs to figure out that sometimes (not always), when people are really into it, it's worth it to save them. You can't tell a great story with a trail of broken heroes, you need people to survive the epic scrapes, close calls, the life and death battles. People who are there for the journey.

One thing I have to add, purely from a mechanical point of view, is the party needs more diversity. I'm probably going to roll up another spellcaster of some type, but that would still leave arcane or divine magic in the wind. And those things are really helpful.

DDD, maybe it'd be a good idea to try doing something like a lesser reincarnate on Kevah. Reincarnate is a thing, but a lesser reincarnate would probably involve rerolling stats or other tweaks to the character (class etc) but retain the level (or near) and the knowledge. Reason? Kevah's insanely rolls make Teef make her do crazy things because she can.

Also, maybe we all need a look at our characters now we have access to the full rules. If people get to shift things around the balance might be a bit better (if they want, of course).

10. BigTeef

I play the characters strengths, yes I goofed around but that's no fun if you take it 100%, I did my thing and took it serious when it was serious and accepted the consequences when I took my bullshit too far. Not once did I complain when my character was suffering from diarrhea, and embraced it because that was the character I was playing as. My characters personality is accepting challenges and dominating with sheer will power.

Traits: I face problems head-on. A simple, direct solution is the best path to success.
    I can stare down a hell hound without flinching. That is the traits I got when I rolled up this character.

Hell I spent 30 minutes strategizing and trying to get extra help for the cave because the spiders were bullshit, and ignored Bums impatient remarks.
    Its almost as if he doesn't want to think things through.

And we got railroaded on that too, the only upside was being able to arm the miners. We got 0 help for a op dungeon, and all we got was 100 gold when we lost a very important member of the party. Basically the goddamn medic and moral compass for the party.

11. Lazybum

It was less about impatiences, and more of my habit of seeing where stories go and simply thinking we won't get help for a bunch of reasons.

I also thought that cave system was going to be a lot bigger, I honestly thought it was gonna take a couple of trips anyway.

12. BigTeef

The game is about exploring and finding new ways to deal with things, the process is trial and error and yes it gets tedious, but the tedium prevents us from getting killed. Its puzzle solving.

13. Lazybum

No I get that, but you went through a bunch of those options already.

I didn't think it was bad to get help, but the people we could ask for didn't want to bother with us, so at that point I didn't think it was worth it anymore. At the end of the day they may be npc's but you can't force them to do things.

14. BigTeef

In a game based on dice rolls.
    And the 20 being the absolute truth.

You can make people do anything with anything.
    For whatever reason, he just seems to move the goal post whenever I manage to crack the wall.

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I did honestly liked how you took it to pretty extreme lengths but not insane ones all the time. I felt like you were taking it seriously when you should have been...and that's all I ask, really. But I know sometimes Destroyer didn't really seem to know how to handle your antics, and you pushed him a few times a bit hard...and it seemed like he pushed back in response, because you wouldn't really take no for an answer.

I think because sometimes even 20 doesn't cut it. Even though it's usually a natural success, sometimes the dc is like 30 or so, because it's so out of the range.

What DDD doesn't know is that you're supposed to roll at penalty in that situation. And even though 5th edition only seems to have advantage and disadvantage, you can still say things like "roll this at -5 penalty", that way if they roll high, it feels a lot more of a challenge, and people understand it's a difficult thing to do, even on a win.

Edit: I should have said that, it's roleplay not roll-play, even though it feels like it. If the DM doesn't think you're roleplaying something good enough, no roll is going to win it for you.

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

Whoa, prepare for huge quote post in my defence I guess.

First off, I admit to saying that the wolf had exploded. No denying that, however unrealistic that is.

You only killed two of them. You went down when it was 3v3, but the same turn it went into a 3v2 after your downing. Then it was 2v2, 2v1, 1v1, 1v0, with the final worg only being hurt once, at the very end. Besides, Sirius and Kevah sandwiched the worgs leaving them in the middle, with their backs always exposed to someone, until you went down - at which point the number advantage was still theirs.

Morale is a thing, but each round takes six seconds. Battle is heated. You don't have full control of what's going on. Certain things slip past you until you realise that later down the line.

Also please don't blame Kane for that, if I wanted to fuck you over I'd fuck you over without that attack - I'd just have the wolves attack you, or put together a tougher encounter later down the line.

1) The area (and most of my sessions) are oriented around low levels right now, so the experience should be better for lower levels (that being said I'm in the process of making stuff for levels 3 and higher)
    2) As I told you some time later I'm considering letting people start with higher levels if they choose to do so, I need to figure out how to handle it first though. Right now, any re-rolls are still going to be lvl 1.

First off, apologies for cutting out bits of your post. I'll answer to the paragraphs that could use some of muh input.

I fully agree that I make mistakes, but you guys often spring up to correct me so that no BS happens.* And the crazy moves that some keep trying to pull off is really difficult to address properly without some real experience, something I'm still slowly getting. I'm not sure how to handle someone eating a giant toxic spider, I never saw anyone do that. Or ride one, either. I'm sure someone like the Rollplay DMs would handle it differently, and better. But hey, I'm trying. For the most part, it works and we have fun.

See the asterisk for a recent example of that. Or an even more recent one, the worg didn't finish off the party but limped away. My memory fails me right now, but during the first few sessions there was also at least one situation where I manipulated the outcome to leave the party or party member alive.

I'm all for an epic story, but there are limits.

Death is final, the end of the line, and so on and so forth. You die, you're dead. This doesn't mean that you'll have to monotonously grind back up to the current top level to once again have any fun. I'm running with a good few players here, some people are way below the current top experience characters, they should have a good time as well, not just whoever played the most and died the least.

Then you should be proud, you stood down the worgs until the very end, just like your character should. But perhaps the maul should have seen more swingin'. Such is life.

17. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

It's okay I was watching Starleague when typing it out, multitasking hoooo

19. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

From the PHB regarding death saving throws:
    "The number of
    both is reset to zero when you regain any hit points or
    become stable."
    Btw a 10 is a success on a death saving throw
    "Roll a d20. If the roll is 10 or higher, you succeed." Kevahs second fail was a 10 D:

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

See, I was wrong here quite badly it seems. Page 76 in the basic player rules does indeed say both those things.

As it turns out, a good few failures shouldn't have been failures, huh ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.