LF nerds for D&D 5th edition

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Like I said, you've been doing pretty well.

I would say that your players generally challenge you more than I would let. Like the questioning of decisions and pointing out of rules is part of what I meant when I said....oh, it didn't make the final post. Well just that after a while you realise you don't really have to accommodate people, and sometimes the part of saving them later is to get them to understand that no means gtfo earlier on. Not that you can roll and add bonuses and it'll work, even though you don't want it to.

Tbh, 5th edition is a bit overpowered sometimes. Starting with bonuses of like +6 to hit is mad, and skills don't have ranks at all like 3rd which generally made it harder to do things. Don't get me wrong, I like this version, but lots of the subtlety is lost and at those times you just need to remember that you're the DM and you don't even have to follow the rules.

Characters are also really overpowered. In the 3rd version you'd need intelligence for lots of skill points, which is usually a dump stat for most fighters. Thus in say Kevah's case, you'd be running off a plain str/dex bonus instead of with that +2 proficiency, at least.

It's great to be useful, but overall my feeling with 5e has been that I don't really need levels (which is great) or anything else (which is not so great - no need for adventuring/no needful progression). Sure Tauf had great rolls, but most of the time I couldn't see myself with magical weapons or armour, since it would buff the character to insane levels. All I wanted was a plain weapon that did a bit more damage.

I mean, if you make a dwarven wizard, he can wear medium armour and wield a warhammer from the get go - and still cast spells. You know something's not quite right when that can happen, yo!

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

You can hop on roll20 to see the pallisade work done during the IRL session. Not much else was done except some overthought bandit fights.

Also notice board, also 7 days until bandit deadline.

I should write up the summaries for the two sessions. Tomorrow after sleep.

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Who did the overthinking, you or them?

Also they got a horse apparently, neat. I'm glad someone cleared out those bandits, it was bothering me to let criminal scum live.

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Your irl guys are working the same world? Awesome!

Lazybum said he wanted to hear me sing, so I may become a bard just to see ears bleeding xD

Oh and I rolled stats ages ago: 9, 10, 13, 14, 14, 17.

5. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Oh god. My friends have a rule that I'm not allowed to play any class that's supposed to sing, because I will sing to them.

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

If you actually sing your songs I'll give you advantage or a buff for sure.

@Lazybum: Them. I just put bandits behind a rock and they needed like 2 hours of planning for it, just to get surprised anyways.

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Loool! This Bard thing is looking likelier and likelier xD

Does caterwauling count as singing? :D

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

A few days after Taufen's symbolic funeral, a group of bandits that introduced itself as an envoy for the goblin army. They demanded twenty women as tribute to the army and gave the town two weeks to comply, or else.

Obviously, the mayor was outraged at the proposal, but the bandits simply left, saying they would return in a fortnight for their tribute. The mayor's and guard captain's joint conclusion was to hurry up with the pallisade, train the locals and hope for the paladin to show up before the orcs. Sirius repeated the guard's call to other adventurers in hope that it'd encourage more people that the captain's last attempt. After that, he headed out with Kevah and Flint to Boarwood, a small village a few days away to the south, where a crate of focusing crystals was being held by a shopkeeper in wait for someone from Cezal to come round and pick it up. On the very first day, they ran into a dead couple of farmers, ambushed by a group of goblins led by an ogre. They executed swift revenge on them.

The following day, Kevah spotted a small group of worgs wandering around near a small grove. She attempted to intimidate them, but they didn't fully buy it and Sirius quickly shot one. The worgs jumped in attack, and after a tiring battle, just barely emerged victorious.

Later on, Sirius woke up to four dead worgs, an unconscious Flint, and a dead Kevah, with half her throat missing. Over come by feelings, he tracked down the last wounded worg without word, slaughtered it and the cubs around it, and returned to a small campfire Flint had set up.

They continued south despite the loss of their long-standing friend and reached Boarwood two days later, late at night. After a quick look-around (and a nap), the party retrieved the focusing crystals at a price of 50gp, which were apparently promised to the shopkeeper. Disgruntled, Sirius paid up, loaded the crystals on a wagon and headed back north. They caught up with a caravan heading for a coal mine even further north, which allowed them safe passage back to Chezal. A hundred gold richer, with one less friend to their name, this was not an adventure they would remember fondly.

EDIT @Ikalx: In general, yes.

9. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I rolled a 10, im not dead.
    You cheating son of a bitch.

That 2-2 is 2-3.
    You guys left Kevah unconscious in a forest.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  10. D.D.D. Destroyer

Erm, too late, we learned that sooo late. While I'm game for some minor retconning, it's been days since the session.

11. BigTeef

You fucked up, accept responsibility and reverse it. I was gone yesterday for the whole day, baby shower and a concert.

That is bullshit if you think its acceptable to let a level 4 character death slide because it took you a day to recognize your mistake.

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

The death save rules are in the player's handbook, aka the book you should know too. So if anything, the failure is on everyone, not just on me or you.

If it burns you this much, I can just keep the death saves as we used them - 1 is 2x failure, 2-10 is failure, 11-19 is success, 20 is get up.

13. BigTeef

Yeah im done playing, im not going to re-roll another character this is complete bullshit.
    The GM is publicly admitting mistakes are okay and fuck the players when he makes them and we don't catch it.

Dont ask me to play agian in the future.

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

Okay cool, hf in your crystal palace, but you can still call me if you change your mind.

Just keep in mind, we keep making mistakes through and through, basically each session. Some of them we retcon, some of them we don't and we just roll with what happens. Just this one time, this mistake cost you your character. Perhaps next time it'll cost someone else's. We're all just human. I'm not playing a game of "catch the one odd thing or get fucked" here, my entire approach was already stated. What we have here in our sessions is, "The GM is publicly admitting mistakes are happening but it's okay and fuck the rules and cohesion we're rolling with it if we don't catch it."

15. BigTeef

Go fuck yourself, I have never played with a GM that is going to be this big of a cunt, and cheat on top if it.

You fucked up, my character isn't dead regardless of your bullshit lore.
    The rules say 10, I rolled a 10.

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

I edited my post. Anyway, you're a free, beautiful sunflower, do whatever. Just stop the insults, everyone is civil here except for you.

I don't need your shit bro~

17. BigTeef

Yeah, insulting my intellgence and then lying to me isn't a insult enough.

If you guys want to play with a cheater, go ahead.
    I refuse to, and don't you dare send me invite via steam.

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

I only told you you didn't read the rules, something I didn't fully do either. Is this really an insult.

19. BigTeef

So you wanted me to be a book hugging asshole and telling you No every time you got something wrong.
    Then ride your ass for breaking the rules.

Because thats fun, every D&D group thinks thats fun.
    Frankly, im surprised kane hasn't done it seeing as he is caught your bullshit more than anyone here.

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

He's civil about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.