lack of enthusiasm

Discussion in 'General' started by sgman, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

My computer cost about € 64000 so far, all because we bought it at some "friend", which turns out, sells crap computers.
    My 2003 P4 G7 motherboard uses DDR 184-pin cards, max is 3 gig, a geforce 4 MX440(crappiest card ever), CRT 60 FPS max monitor( i can't run games faster than that). My computer sucks and costs way more than $ 1300( 1 dollar is about € 1).

2. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Uh, right, you spent over 64,000 on a computer. I think you have one too many zeros. You should just upgrade your video card for $100. That video card was terrible when it first came out, and it's even worse now that it's 4 years old. Anything that costs $100 or more today would increase your computer speed by an incredibly amount. I can't believe you even try to play games with that. That's an injustice to any recent game including Empires. I'm offended that you base Empires being slow and unoptimized on a piece of shit video card.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  3. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

spent $900 about 3 years ago on mine (ibuypower for the win) and have no problem with empires on default settings (appart from resolution, but that definatly is the game and not anything else). havent tried max simply because i dont care about graphics enough.

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

That guy sold us a piece of crap computer at a high price, with 256 MB hacked RAM (it doesn't works now that i have a legal version of Windows, another thing that the computer lacked). I know this card sucks too.

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

build you're own. if you pay me $50, and the P+P I'll build you one at any price you like.

6. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I don't think spending more money on a computer right now is a good idea.
    EDIT: I was wrong about the cost of the computer, i messed up with the old and new money types. Its € 1400 not € 64000.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
  7. Dafleck

Dafleck Member

Interesting concept.

8. Revolver

Revolver Member

Just for you kids counting at home

€1=$1.25

(I was going to correct Solo because I remembered reading back that the Euro was running almost 2-1 but it seems to have devalued for some reason. I'm behind the times.)

9. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I know someone that still plays WoW with a geforce4mx, he got it for free tho a few years ago

10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I accidently said the price in its old BEF price (our old money type until the country switched to euros).

11. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I do that occasionally with old FIM and new euros... :( I once accidentally claimed that one car costed about 200.000€ when in fact it was about 200.000 FIM...

12. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

The 440 was not meant for gaming. I had a friend who went, bought parts for a computer, and wanted me to assemble it then...when I saw his MX440 (this is around 1.5 years ago) I told him he was nuts to call this a gaming machine. He didn't believe me. Then he tried to play games....and I got a phone call from him. Heh.

Yeah...to judge ANY game with something that old is not fair at all. I will say that my OCed 7800GT (it outperforms 7800GTXs) even has issues inside buildings with all settings on high.

13. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Well now you have a reason to upgrade in the future. Games always try to push the envelope of computer capabilities. If you could run everything on high, then there'd be no reason to run out and buy the latest and greatest computer.

14. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Turn off bump mapping and specular. Makes your frame rate go through the roof.

15. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

No. But a game based on an engine that is, what....2 years old (with updates mind you) but still...2 years old. My graphics card is, what, half a generation old? (I don't count the 7900 series as a generation. Its as much of a generation as the GeForce 5950 was over the 5900). I'm able to run Oblivion maxed out (bloom and 2x AA, grass turned down. All else on high) and my framerate...well....doesn't beat empires, but it comes very close sometimes. My point: the 7800 series is still top of the line. If you're going to say I need to upgrade, then you're saying you need to upgrade your videocard every time an incremental piece of hardware comes out.

If that's not what you're saying, then you're telling me you need SLI to run a game based on an older engine. And I abhor games developed around SLI. Why? How many people have SLI/Crossfire of all gamers? 5%? At most. In past I've seen the statistic being much lower than that...and to be truthfull, in this situation, it HAS to be lower than the overall people who have SLI. My 7800GT outperforms two 6800GTs in SLI, as well as 2 6800 Ultras....so you can only count people with current generation hardware.

16. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I never said and never will say Empires is slow and unoptimized.
    Also, i will eventually get a better video card, just not around now, maybe when i get some more money from around Christmas/Newyear.

17. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Don't worry. The frame rate will improve as better models, etc., get used.

18. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

back to the original topic of the thread: does the team currently have anyone in charge of PR? Once the advertising does start, is there anyone who can really manage it? I wouldn't expect any of the developers to do it, just because of the sheer amount of time they've put into the mod already. Somebody who could post news updates and manage publicity, basically.

Even though there may not be much to report atm, a short news post just letting the wider community know that you're still around wouldn't go amiss.

19. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Why do you have to run a game with everything on high to feel satisfied? What cpu do you have?

No, we don't have a PR guy. We had one back in the BF1942 days, but he left. A lot of people have been nagging me to post a news update, and it does take away from time working on the mod because I want our news posts to be well written and have worthwhile information.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  20. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Well I'd be happy to fill the position if you still need someone. I have to warn you though: instead of a lot of people nagging you, one very annoying person (me) would be :D

EDIT: The developer journals over at fortress forever are a perfect example of good PR. Of course one couldn't expect every developer to put in this kind of time above and beyond what they are actually doing for the mod, which is why a dedicated news person can sometimes be a good idea (so long as they have the news to post).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006