Kinder Gentler Empires...

Discussion in 'General' started by JustGoFly, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl Member

Scrim? In which game and against whom?

You'll either have to wait till the next natural cycle of a new "organized group" to revolve around someone or we move Empires scrims to something else like Obsidian Conflict or Internet Backgammon.

2. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

TBH, Backgammon sounds pretty nice, but I've never learned how exactly it's played.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

its easy to learn, but hard to master.

no just kidding, backgammon is overrated, its basically just a game of luck - if your dice rolls fail you, theres not much you can do.

4. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Here, we get all of Summer off plus a few more weeks so summer break lasts from halfway through June 'till the end of summer, which is about fifteen weeks. Then Winter break starts halfway through December until the start of the second week in January, so about three more weeks. Spring break then lasts another week. Thanksgiving break is only two days, so I don't really count it.

So
    ~15 Summer
    3 Winter
    1 Spring

For a total of ~19 weeks off, or a bit more than a third of the whole year.

5. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

We can just do a everyone in EPIC agianst the people who arn't.
    From what I recall thats what BSID did, and for unkown resons we let harry hoot command it.

6. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Wow - 13-19 weeks off a year? What are you guys going to do when you graduate and start work with ONE week of vacation a year and 10 days of holidays - which is normal. Plus your School day is likely 3 hours with 2 hours of study, where your work day will start at 9 hours. My first years I worked 12 hour days and ABC every weekend. I would write games for fun - but learning all the time. My Monopoly game was mint.

The major difference will be that your evenings are all yours. No studying or cramming for tests. So maybe it's a fair trade off.

FYYFF

7. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Well, I'm already doing a part-time job and intending to do summer school later. The actual part of schooling is 5 hours MWF and 4 hours TR, then the job runs another four hours every day for a total of 9 hours MWF and 8 hours TR. Throw on another hour or two a day for homework/studying and I can easily spend over 50 hours a week doing school/work related stuff. So it's already like I have a full-time job.

8. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Candles, sounds like you're on your way mang. Good going and rock on !

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I work a 60 (72 including commuting) hour week, without a great deal of time off. But it doesn't really bother me because of what you stated the major difference is, the evening is yours. All that stress of exams and coursework/homework is just so far in the past for me, even though I'm only 20. I feel like I have so much more free time because your free time isn't actually "free" when you're worrying about school.

I'm sorry but working is just much nicer than education with regards to free time and whatnot. There's a lot to be said for actually having real free time. Having said that, if you're only getting 1 week + 10 days off each year, you're in a shitty job. I can get 12 weeks a year off quite happily.

10. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Work should be more fun than sitting in a desk for long periods of time having someone preech at you. Programming is very satisfying since you can see your progress, and you interact with alot of people. You also get to be very creative. I get 4 weeks Vaca, but most starting after college will get 1 week after six months of work. Then 2 weeks after a couple years. I have 8 weeks stored and 10 days = 10 weeks that I could use this year. I do work some days at home though which helps.

Anyway - all the time spent getting A's is absolutely worthwhile and very important to getting started right out of college. Or you could just get C's - play games, and complain about how life handed you a raw deal.

Kick Ass Trickster!

Vinnie

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I have a clip of wookie roadkilling me in style, and the entire recording has bits where security kills us sprinkled all over.

You'd be screwed on the experience front.

12. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I read the title as Kindergarten Empires for liek 2 weeks.

13. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl Member

Well, a kindergarten is a place where you are urged to aquire a kinder and gentler behaviour towards people outside your family, so it's not that far away from what was the topic in the beginning of this thread.

14. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

In my kindergarten they taugh us how to operate heavy machinery and work a butterfly knife. That and the European tournament rules of hopscotch.

15. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

16. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Mind Blown.
    You just cured my internal monologue disorder with that link.

17. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I only caught half a round, but I did notice getting killed by the NFHR for the first time ever and I was able to place 2 turrets.

18. Empty

Empty Member

On the note of empires being less laid back, I havent seen a single jeep racetrack built in over 3 years.

That makes me kinda sad.

19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Well, besides the server often crashing because we raised the wall limit too far, it just got to the point where some jackass would come in and kill one of the CVs every time. Some people are just assholes.

20. Empty

Empty Member

I think I saw the actual race happen maybe twice ever.
    People usually got bored or the game crashed before we ever got to that stage.
    Streets is a good map for it, you only need a few walls to make a nice track.