Kerbal Space Program

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wealthysoup, Nov 18, 2012.

1. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Anybody played this?

I started with the free demo then decided to buy it aswell last weekend. Great fun making ridiculous rocket designs and seeing what you can do with them :D (I also made a plane that can use 2 solid rocket boosters to give it extra thrust :) )

Link for the lazy people: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/

Edit: If anyone has a saitek x52 and needs a profile for it, send me a message.

Edit 2: Simple craft capable of acheiving orbit, getting to the moon, orbiting it and getting back to land on kerbin (I have tested this and it does all that easily enough): https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9rTblB5xBc8Nk84ZEFwMHdnemc

Edit 3: Craft for 0.17.1 with similar capabilities as the demo craft I uploaded in edit 2: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60098067/Kerbin%20Orbiter%200.17.1.zip

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  2. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

3. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

wtf, I played this 1 1/2 years ago when it was just about building rockets, making it into space and getting back savely. It already lived from dozens of talented modders back in the day and was quite buggy concerning cpu ressources (always 100% load on core 0, no matter what you did in the game). But I loved the game back then.

18$ feels much.

Edit: All billing is handed by PayPal :( Everytime I read about someone relying his whole concept on paypal handling payments right, I set a red baby panda on fire.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  4. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

w00kie, compared to even the demo (the current version in March this year) its come on leaps and bounds (check the number of parts in the wiki even), you can also build spaceplanes now aswell, and docking is coming in a few weeks in the next update. Its still about building rockets, DZ's post had a lot of mods. Yeah its $18, which for an alpha version of an indie game is probably quite expensive. That said, compared to games such as minecraft or (yet another) call of duty its an absolute bargain. From what I see the devs seem committed to making it an awesome game. Definitely the best £11.50 I've spent recently.

Whats so bad about paypal?

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I was about to ask you if you liked it, seeing as you keep playing it when I look at my friends list.

6. w00kie

fuck, I should make a blog just about my struggle with Paypal, so I don't have to type it anymore.
    Supershort version:

-started using paypal because of steam ~ 2006
    -linked paypal to my bank account and credit cards
    -used it for all ebay stuff since then (In germany Paypal is a direct division of Ebay Germany)
    -2009 A brazilian phone company repeatedly tries to suck 10 USD from my paypal account, unauthorised and I have never heard of them before.
    -Paypal first lets them do that, then, seconds later, revokes that transaction and freezes my paypal account for a week.
    - I was buying and selling on ebay at that time and all auctions I made we're not payable by customers, thx to the weird way paypal works. I couldn't pay for stuff that I bought from ebay sellers that had only accepted paypal, since I hadn't noticed my account being frozen before transaction, it ended in bad ebay reputation for me.

-paypal later "unfroze" my account, but set it in "reduced function mode" instead. In order to get it working paypal wanted a lot of very personal documents from me, including the "utilities statement" for the flat I live in. I gave nearly all that information, but since I live with my brother and I have no documents where gas or water is payed for with my name on, I had to somehow talk to a real person at paypal to explain my struggle.

-german paypal has no phone number, does not answer to e-mails and doesn't even give e-mail addresses out. I was forced to use complaint-fields on their website, which often let to a lost text and no status if the text had been sent or not.

-mid 2011 I tried to end my relationship with paypal via snail mail, no response till today :/

I haven't lost any money from Paypal (except ~15 EUR in postage stamps) and never got any response to anything from them. Though I wasted a lot of my time on that, payed back only in further frustation. Thx to that I don't buy or sell on Ebay anymore, can't use a lot of smaller webshops (like KSP in this case) and am forced to use my credit card for most online services.

EDIT: Downloading KSP 0.17 via UL.to now

7. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Yes its great fun, give the demo a go and see what you think. If you like that then I strongly recommend paying up for the full version as its growing incredibly fast.

I don't think its right to pirate games / other things made by small indy developers but thats just my 2c.

Edit: According to this page: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/faq.php You can pay by card and dont need a paypal account (still managed by paypal though)

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

Flew up to 10k meters on my first rocket, the second just tipped over.

Yeah, I can see the fun if I ever get to learning how to make a rocket :)

9. Mahtipakarat

Mahtipakarat Member

played it a bit, and now a bit more.

10. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Added a craft to the first post incase anyone wants to try it. This is compatible with the demo version.

11. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Either my rocket ship piloting skills suck OR our your design absolutely lacks enough power to make it to the moon. I tried three times... I always ran out of juice. I switched your solids to liquids and doubled the tanks on the exterior and then made sure they all fired at same time. Then I could get close...(actually I overshot and achieved elliptical orbit around sun at half earth orbit... If I would have let it run for 20 mins I am sure I could have landed back on the planet safely(if I didn't hit land))

PS... it was fun for a short wile... now its just tedious.

12. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Ill check it tonight but im 95% certain it will get into orbit around the moon easily. Are you going into orbit around the earth or are you trying direct ascent?

To get into orbit, ascend vertically until you reach around 300 m/s. Then nose over to heading 90 degrees at 45 degree angle of climb. Gradually noise over more towards horizontal while your climbing until you acheive orbit (check the blue line on map view).

Without the SRB's I could get into orbit with just under 2 full tanks left of fuel at the top stage, with the SRB's I reckon it should be possible to get into orbit without having to jettison the takeoff stage.

Make sure your headings 90 degrees. (If its 270 then you need a lot more speed, and use a lot more fuel)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  13. D.D.D. Destroyer

Got to 15km, turned to 90 degrees, pressed space instead of full throttle.

Three times in a row.

14. w00kie

Mun Meeting <-that guy travels to mun orbit, rendezvouses another rocket up there and flies back.

Btw., how do I build proper Spaceships? Don't they need wheels? Mine just lie directly on the ground and go boom at the end of the airstrip :D

@wealthysoup: If your creditcard has ever been registered with a paypal account, and that account is restricted, you can't use paying without login via CC on a paypal site anymore. It sounds weird but it is just like that. Paypal > *****

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  15. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

yes wookie, add gear to the bottom of them (think its the same window as parachutes) lol

16. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Its your piloting skills. Had a go there and even with some terrible flying I can get to the moon, orbit it and get back to earth and land. Ive got a video just to show how many mistakes I could get away with. Would have been able to land in the end but I got bored in my slowly decaying orbit (ran out of fuel and rcs fuel) but it can get down.

17. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I went for direct route. I didn't think about orbiting earth first. :(

btw is there more gear to put on? There doesn't seem like a whole lot. just a few do dads.

18. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Paid release has TONNES more, see their wiki for details

19. w00kie

Someone wanna fix my latest Rocket? A craft some may call to big to leave Kerban
    Wealthy I can't open your demo-craft, I use 1.7.1

EDIT: Yes, I know that rocket is retarded, but I just want to make that thing go fly. The 27 fueltanks have to stay, eveything else can change.

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

Wealthy, that orbit we talked about was as big as the planet's.