Is Tank Combat Fun?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by ImSpartacus, Jun 14, 2014.

?

Is tank combat fun?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

45.5%
  3. It doesn't matter

27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

thats what weight is for.

10 plates with 1hp each 1kg is the same as 5 plates with 2hp 2kg each, just more understandable if you can put 10 plates on a tank. features are independent on plate amount, anything else would be overly complicated i guess.

i guess it just makes no sense to have the option to put 7 plates on every side but you simply cannot. i mean you could put all on one side but that wouldnt really be sane except for this one situation that totaly not justifies this ...

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

The problem is that your total HP using lower weight plates is going to be higher than your total HP using higher weight plates that have the same HP/weight ratio.

You're more likely to "not fit" that last plate if it has a higher weight amount. So the HP/weight ratio has to be higher on higher weight armors, all else being equal.

It's been like that since forever. It wasn't my idea by any means.

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

It can be a high weight armor with less hp but, having some sort of gimmick to make it good enough in certain situations. Reflective was that way, and if I remember, absorbent too (less weight then reflective but, still a high weight to low HP ratio).

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

You don't have to put all your plates evenly across all sides, you can be a more or less stationary frontline tank that keeps to infantry and hard cover. That negates most need for sides and rear armour.

Now I'm not saying you can always do it because people are obsessed with mobility here, but it's an option sometimes.

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

id see plates more like a percentage of total armor not value. atm this armors plates are not directly compairable to that armors plates either. yes if you have less plates the impact of a missing plate is worse then if you have more, but isnt the amount of plates just some value? im just after that currently i often put only 50% of total plates on a tank and it feels counter intuitive. just a cosmetic problem? yes, totally :D

6. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Hey, flasche, that's actually a good idea. Or maybe. Anyway, what if armor hp was actually just a percentage of the hull health, like 50-75% of the hull's health, and every plate is a certain percentage of that amount. So say we use 50% as the amount, a medium tank has 500 base hull hp and it has 3 plates on each side, that would mean it has 187 hp a side and 250 as the hull health, effectively .875 of its base health, or in raw terms it would be able to take 437 damage from one side.

This way you avoid the strange less plates is possibly better thing we currently have, players could always tell how much health a tank has now. though it might seem more complicated to figure out the actual health, but I thought we showed people don't look at the actual numbers, just how much they can "see". Plates of a tank might need to be rebalanced though, I assume everything would actually only get 4 plates because it would be a percentage of the total health and not a straight hp buff.

7. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I like the simplicity of the current system, but I wanted to mention that we could set up armors like this.

8. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

That would be simple though, it would be what you see is what you get. Like many have said, no one reads anything, so even though the math is a bit more complicated under the hood the end result is everyone sees 3 plates and gets 3 plates no matter what they end up putting on there.

Though like you I'm fine with what we got, but I don't think we should ignore ideas that aren't terrible complicated.