Is Tank Combat Fun?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by ImSpartacus, Jun 14, 2014.

?

Is tank combat fun?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

45.5%
  3. It doesn't matter

27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

So I was pubbing around with Security and he decided to shadow me and provide emotional support. At one point, he suggested that I hop in a tank. I don't normally do that.

I got in the tank and had middling success, partially due to superior enemy numbers and partially due to underdeveloped abilities.

Eventually, we switched out and Security showed me how it's done. From my perspective, his experience looked pretty boring. He didn't die and the enemy didn't die. It was a slog.

I tend to think that Security plays at a pretty high level for an individual. If Security's tank combat is boring, then I wonder if all tank combat is boring.

I suspect that Security needed a teammate to be effective. The team was shit and he really didn't have one.

How do you guys feel about tank combat? Do you agree that a teammate is necessary to be not-boring? If so, is that a good thing?

2. Metruption

Metruption Member

let me use pistol/nades from jeep driverseat

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It's better with the lighter tiers. The more manoeuvrable and easy to kill the tank is, generally the more fun it is. At least with tank on tank action.

4. Metruption

Metruption Member

fun ranks
    nf jeep>be jeep>nf med>be med > be apc > nf lt > be afv > nf apc > nf ht > be mt

5. ImSpartacus

That's generally my opinion. That's why I enjoy APCs. They are stupidly easy to maneuver.

That's why I hate it when we intentionally make jeeps and other vehicles harder to handle than necessary. It feels like a stupid way to "balance".

6. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Eh, if you tank in my way its a lot more fun, just ram straight into them and unload your payload. Makes things exciting. Still say compo makes heavy fights terrible.

7. ImSpartacus

The shitty models don't allow you to aim down far enough to ensure that your payload hits.

8. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Whats your opinion of the vehicle scripts you got from me sparty? Think they would change things for the better just with handling?

9. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

How many times has Trickster stated that he will swap out for improved tank scripts in half a heartbeat if they were done? He won't do it for jeeps, which I somewhat agree with, but don't make it sound like he's refusing to improve the handling on *all* the vehicles.

10. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

pub games low population

Low tier tanks:
    Just shoot at people kill people from a distance or drive over them and dont overstay or you'll lose your tank eventually, you can really push your limits on what you do here and how close you get cause people suck

higher level tanks:
    Shoot and kill people up close focus buildings ez game

Medium level pub games

low tier tanks:
    You can still do the same stuff shoot and kill people but now you have to stay in a range from the larger blobs of infantry cause once you get too close and they have grens you'll die instantly, theres more tank to tank combat but most of the time the person wins with the infantry support. Important here is not to overextend. Killing people will go at a slower rate imho if u play safe and want to keep your tank alive.

High tier tank:
    Shit gets real boring here unless you have the superior research meaning acces to heavies earlier. Keep in mind I'm assuming people dont suck ass balls. You just slow siege buildings and fire from afar ( conserving tanks not rushing in like a fucking madman ). Help pushing up the front with your team. Tank versus tank fights are long and drawn out cause if both players are good theres no reason either one should lose their tanks for being shit.

Medium pop basicly counts for higher pop but higher pop requires even more safety problems and distance cause more grens

11. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Light tank/AFV combat = fun. It's speedy and shit dies quickly.
    Mediums are a mix of it.
    Heavy combat = Pew Pew, Repair station, Bio Bio Bio Bio.

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

tanks are too tough, end of story. in which way they are is manifold, its not only pure health.

why? "because they cost money" (its not my opinion, its the reasoning i get for several years now, independend on how many arguments i brought up, "they cost money" is the ultimate counter argument to everything ... seems)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  13. ImSpartacus

When I used "handling", I meant engines and all. I haven't checked with viroman recently, but I know my personal testing gets cut short every time I use 3phase and scout speed. The speed range between between that and standard is too big to have some satisfactory for all of them. You can get something that is just flawless on standard engine - back end comes out perfectly, feels good. Throw in 3 phase and it's doughnut city.

If I had a magical solution, then this would be in the suggestion section. I'm just a little disappointed that I just watched my perceived "fun ceiling" and he had no more fun than me in most tank matches. I want to know if I'm just a blip or if people really don't get a ton of fun from tank combat.

14. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

To be fair, when I joined, the comm researched Absorbant and Advanced Coolant.
    Absorbant means one Bio ML and I'd have to repair my tank, Advanced Coolant fucks your mobility.
    I had to play like that to even survive, against better team/research.

If he got Compo and 3 phase, I woulda literally 1v7 right there.

15. ImSpartacus

Haschte is always whining to get compo and 3 phase. I often tell him to suck a dick because he's a mediocre driver at best. Do you generally think that's the most desirable setup for most tank chassis?

16. flasche

is "fast engine and high hitpoint armor" the best?

17. ImSpartacus

Compo is definitely seductive in larger tanks, but I often prefer reactive for lts and apcs.

3phase is a mixed bag if you ask me. I'd rather have turbine in most of the smaller vehicles because it's more controllable. I usually would want coolant in the larger tanks, but I often adopt a boring unfun tank strategy, so that's why I'm asking others.

18. flasche

well i have all time in the world to get to the front safely, but if shit turns bad i want to get away as fast as possible, the least thing i want is getting chased by a tank faster then me.
    also i dont think that cooling really is that important, especially not over distance. i rather hold back fire for guaranteed hit then spamming my CNs, MLs are spam-limited anyway and hard to get overheated by. when im playing conservative i dont charge tanks if im not certain i can kill fast then getting killed - i include heat in my judgements - and once my job is done i bail as fast as i can, nothing you could do with ACE.

reactive is good but it doesnt allow to put as much weapons on my tank.

also if i decide to get into a tank, im gonna be gren driver -> armor detection, upgraded armor, defusal for open maps, defusal, armor detection, upgraded armor for chokepoints. also ill be constantly bitching for repair pads if there aint any.
    so my approach to tanking is different from engi drivers. with repair and ammo-supplies its less hit and run, you can siege a lot more and lure enemies into traps.

oh another thing, MLs are so underrated in tank combat, but if you got used to using them against mobile targets :|ove:

but to answer your original question, i dont feel threatened in tanks, thats why tank combat isnt much fun for me. i get ten times the kick from owning a tank as gren then i do when im in a tank. a few minor mistakes and im a dead gren versus i drive back to base, repair, rinse repeat.

19. ImSpartacus

We need to get you on the server, old man.

20. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

Yes, medium combat and especially heavy combat is annoyingly boring. Armour is just too strong at the moment and tank v tank weapons are too weak. Basically ATM you're shooting heavily armoured tanks with pea shooters from long range and running back and repairing.

On the whole I think the whole tank curve needs to be squeezed in. i.e. medium / heavy tanks should be cheaper, faster and more vulnerable. 7 plates on a heavy is just insane. 3 plates for mediums, 4 plates for heavies, make the chassis a lot cheaper and slightly lighter. Nerf anti infantry weapons like nukes etc.

At the moment, tanks are way to valuable to lose, this promotes a lot of very stagnant play.