Insurgency

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Krenzo, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

this is a mod i have been fallowing and anticpating for awhile.. and after playing it.. im dissapointed.. i get about 10 fps can never see where im getting shot from... ugh.

2. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

It currently has 2500 players. This is a great example of how much marketing has on video games and why a large chunk of video game budgets is set aside for marketing.

3. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I love the accent that is in right now; makes me chukle every time I hear it :D

4. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

I love the graphics and music in INS. There is so much talent wasted though. Hopefully they will release some patches to add moar funz.

5. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

...this nearly wins the award for worst mod I've ever played...

6. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Just because

Who here has had some good experiences playing this game. It's easy for us to hate on it, but we're not trying to start a rivalry here.

7. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Well, I kinda enjoy it. I do like their explosion daze effect, but it could have been done a lot better (fading in instead of that final clarity bit).

8. Gelnika

Gelnika Member

I thought it was ok, but like many have said, it didn't really exceed through all the hype. It's still quite a solid mod IMO and really has potential in to it.

I was especially impressed by the music and the weapon models. It's not often when you see such high-quality work on mod's, especially on their first release. And the music is pretty Socom-ish too, which is cool :)

9. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

I love the realism in the mod. If you don't think realism is fun, don't play it. If you don't like camping, don't play it. A sniper SHOULD be able to hold back an entire team under certain conditions. It's not an arcade game. It has a certain target audience, and that is those of us who love realism.

You probably wouldn't like airsofting or paintballing, if you don't like this game. I'm an airsofter myself, and I can find many similiarities in the gameplay. I find it fun to hide in a bush, take out an enemy from a distance with a single shot, and see his body fall. If you'd prefer running and shooting, go back to CSS. If you'd prefer pumping 50 bullets into him, go back to HL2DM.

Insurgency focuses a lot on teamwork, and almost every time I've seen people move in groups of two or more, and alone only when behind enemy lines. I think that's one thing it has managed better than many other mods/games. The only negative aspects in the game (for me) are the occasional server crashes, long load times, and the low FPS with moderately high settings. The latter two depend mostly on my PC, though.

The reason most of you don't think it's "good" is because you're not in the mod's target audience, as I mentioned. You probably haven't played it for very long either. Give it a chance and try out all the different maps. The first time I played it, I didn't like it, but I realized it was because of the map; it was some night-time city map. Then afterwards I had a very good experience playing a bright, open desert map with lots of height variation.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  10. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I like it. Needs a bit of work here and there. Some pretty noticeable bugs and map balance are probably the biggest issues I have with it at the moment.

I'm glad they didn't got for uber realism with it. Feels like what counter strike should have been :)

EDIT: Though I do admit, it certainly doesn't feel like 5 years of work.

11. R_yell

R_yell Member

I think it's good in those areas they were aiming. Good combat, with a degree of realism above average, nice maps, well, that's the positive stuff. In the negative side, a complete lack of originality. This is pretty much a constant in most infantry combat based games, it's like they are making custom maps, not a different game.

Regarding the success, it's clear to me. Put some good graphics and people will want to give it a try. The same happens with commercial games. That's frankly negative for mod scene, this mod took 4 years with a lot of people involved, but just to produce art.

12. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

The maps loaded pretty fast on my computer, usually no less that 1 minute, though the game itself runs at around 15-30 FPS (Though I got it to run at about 17-34 FPS (60-80 if I look at the sky :p ) after decreasing some of the graphical setting & setting the resolution to 800x600).

All in all not bad, the music is good, the voice acting sucks, & it reminds me of every game that has capture points.

13. KILLX

KILLX Banned

so its badness reminds you of Empires?

14. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

We need a new model for games to follow....honestly. No more of these FPSes that just go "Capture da flag!"

My dislike may be because I haven't played any realistic game like this for so long, but I got tired of stuff like being on a staircase, with a shotgun...guy comes in, kills me with an M4...fuck the fact I shot him in the head with my 12 ga. That may be source's fault though, and not the mod.

15. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

In reply to Killx's post

No It's just that every game I've been playing lately has capture points, like Wolf: ET, Star Wars: BattleFront/II, BattleField 2, Empires (At least every time I join every map is always on a capture map, I'm starting to miss being useful & actually building the base. Capture maps on Empires are not really my "forte"), & recently this game. To be honest I'm tired of capturing bases.

16. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

in all honesty.. i know people might think that im favoring empires.. but really i wish i could like this mod.. i wanted it to be a good mod.. i am a huge fan of realism but i need performance to go with that.. so far all i get is frozen loading screens and 10 fps nonsense tking

its gonna be funny how many people will be suckin krenzos dick when they play 1.8

17. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Well, I went back and played again, started playing it like I played AA (meaning, slow - be prepared to camp and move slowly.) When I did it this way, I started to score rather well. The M203 sucks though, and the inability to reload the M249 SAW sucks. Point being, it may FEEL like CS, but don't play it like its CS.

18. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

yeah i like that aspect of it.. but everytime i try to play with my buddy it freezes my comp :headshot:

19. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

I'm enjoying it a lot. I like the overall feel of the mod and I can see where they are want to take this.

I guess it reminds me a lot of Red Orchestra, and a lot seems borrowed from it (no hud etc).

There's a lot of obvious problems that need fixing and a lot of community hubris (ugh, TK'ers) but overall it's not a bad first release. I hope to see even more come from them.

20. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

So I finally got around to playing it tonight, and it was pretty damn painful. The game ran just fine for me, but the gameplay was awful. I spent much more time waiting to respawn and running to places than fighting, and at no point was I really having fun. I couldn't see, map layouts hindered the flow of gameplay, and even movement felt awkward.

It really feels like they spent a majority of their time on making it look pretty, and really just threw in the towel as far as game mechanics went. They've got leaning, but you can't activate it while moving, nor while near any sort of level geometry, and there's an annoying delay before you actually start to lean. You can go prone, but you can only get back up by hitting the prone key again, which puts you into a standing position - which really isn't desirable a lot of the time. They have a cool looking weapon menu, but it's a pain in the ass to actually use.

I suppose this is the problem with building up to major releases like this - the stuff that's easy to get right is nailed, but core gameplay ends up way out of whack. "Release early, release often" really is important for mods. I kinda expect Nuclear Dawn to be the same way, to be honest, especially since they've clammed up even more.

What's particularly painful is reading comments on a site like Interlopers.net. They spooge all over it, talking about how it's the best game ever, and how it's a Counter-Strike killer. Comments like this make me want to pull my hair out:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.