Insurgency

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Krenzo, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

No, no, Sun Protection Factor. You know, like sunscreen!

[​IMG]

2. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Oh no! It's turning into the CDR thread :o

3. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Okay first impressions of 1.1 version:
    The constant US Marine stackage is purely f-ing annoying, also some of the more open maps make my HD go "gurgle gurgle" every time I turn my head(if I keep walking straight line it's playable). I guess giving a bit more than 512MB of memory for the mod might help, but I still don't see why it does it every time I turn around.
    My next gripe is that it's very hard to grasp what to do(except to kill the enemies), since there's little to none indication of where the f-ing objectives are. A map like the one in VietCong might be nice(there might be one, but I didn't find it).
    The third gripe is that the shotgun felt extremely underpowered at close range compared to the ARs. I had to shoot a guy TWICE in the head before he died and then I managed to shoot the second guy in the stomach when he turned me into mince meat with his AR.

I actually got lost in a map and found myself flanking the whole enemy team at one point. :P Thanks to guns that actually kill something I eradicated their whole team with my AK before they managed to react. :D It was nice change to getting headshotted in small alleys through corners.

It has that VietCong feeling about it, without the punji sticks of course. :) Fun, but very disorienting.

4. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

I manged to rack up some memorable kills the other day, mostly on that dusk/night map, I managed to sneak up all the way to the rear U.S. spawn & kept taking guys out with that Insurgent Squad leader gun (because I was the 2nd leader :D ), I was amazed that they didn't even notice me, I was literally facing the spawn point & giving them a chance run up to the car for cover, where I proceded to do my best "BOOM HEADSHOT!". I even saw a few marines run past me, I stayed there most of the round until the round ended. It was funny cause the guys on the Marines team would go "THAT SHOT WAS BULLSHIT!!!" & whatnot thinking they're getting sniped :p .

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  5. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

You know, on the one hand, any good mod (in this case, Insurgency) for half life 2 will increase Half-Life 2's popularity, and by the halo effect, will increase Empires' popularity, and that's nothing but good news. However, on the other hand, mods like this could potentially cannibalize the potential Empires base, and if this is the case I hope their mod sucks and the developers die.

Really, I shouldn't form an opinion about the mod, unless I had the detailed statistics of past and present numbers of hl2 multi-player users online, empires players online, and insurgency players online, and could analyze the patterns therein.

I shouldn't form an opinion, but I will. I doubt new players will be attracted to HL2 BECAUSE of Insurgency, and most that play Insurgency won't switch over to Empires. Ergo,

They're stealing our player base, and they should rot in hell!

6. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Well of course new players won't be attracted to game just because of one mod, most newcomers to PC gaming or people who play PC games but still don't know that PC games can be modded (at least the ones I've meet, & I've meet plenty) only want to play the original game as is. When I've tried to get friends to buy HL2 to play Empires, they refuse, because they're all like "Installing a mod is hard" & "If it doesn't autoupdate I'm not playing!" among other things. :(

7. The Buttery Lobster

You know what else is hard, bitch? My FOOT when it's rammed up your ASS.

At least, that's what you should tell them. But then again, I solve my problems with violence.

8. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

If it brings more CS nubs to the mod world, and teaches them something about teamwork, it might actually help up.

9. The Buttery Lobster

god I hope so.

10. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

Yeah, it is a tactical realism mod. Any normal stupid CS'er spaz won't like this game at all. OH MY GOD, having to use teamwork, what is this s#$%???

11. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Aw well, just spouting the f bomb and hoarding nubs into objectives seem to work rather well. I've won quite a few maps by doing that. Thing is though, I've done nothing but win. It got boring.

12. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Just tried it, and it's like BF2 all over again. People see you coming miles before you turn a wall. You get shot before you can even get a view of them.

13. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

True, but that's why you have smoke grenades and communication. It's hard to spot entrenched enemies, but they'll have a really tough time if you do manage to break the defense.

14. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Actually, this is a bug. A few bugs, really. On the patch, they somehow made it so gun flashes show through walls.

The majoy bug is the player first person view camera being borked. Your crosshair/ironsight is really a good inch too high...and even when you think you are behind a corner...you are sticking out.

http://forums.insmod.net/index.php?showtopic=6072

The dev's position is "It isn't a major bug, we won't fix it unless it becomes annoying"

IMO...the fact that I think my barrel is sticking on TOP of a sandbag...but somehow hits the sandbag...is a major bug. Whoever said that realism mods and shitty devs go hand in hand on IRC (Dee?) may have the best answer. How does a programmer know what is realistic...if they have never been in combat?

15. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I thought the whole thing with Insurgency was that all the devs had served in Iraq. That's certainly the impression that some of their interviews gave me.

I haven't got around to playing it yet, but from the screens I've seen it looks like the art department have done a fantastic job. I must also commend them for their marketing: this is how it should be done. Even though the game isn't that innovative (I was playing this ultra-realistic stuff a couple of years back in a HL1 mod, although the name eludes me) it's very very popular, and all due to the hype that they've created around it. They even had an announcement on steam, something that Empires 1.08 should really try to get.

I watched their trailer too, it was very well done. It seemed to be by an independent Source machinima studio. Maybe you guys should hire him, then you wouldn't have to use all this junk that I put out :p

16. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Hostile Intent?

There wasn't much hype around insurgency, really. They released a news update what? Once every couple of months. I imagine people were swayed by the pretty pictures mostly and it certainly feels as though that's where those 5 years have gone in to.

17. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Yes, that's the one.

18. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I know one of their coders, and they haven't served in Iraq or any kind of military.

19. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

theyve had loads of advisers, but yeh in the end its not all that realistic, I mean I don't know if any of you have ever seen a guy (or yourself) shoot an ak, but the recoil is 10 times as worse as it is in insurgency, infact in insurgency the ak shoots pretty well in full auto. (with ironsights)

20. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I guess that in-game you are a hardened fighting machine, whereas IRL you aren't :p

And it's disappointing that they don't have first-hand experience. I can see myself getting bored of the whole "hey guys, we're in Iraq!" deal. If they branched out into more varied environments (read: jungles), maybe I would be more excited about it. But hey, I'm gonna have to try it out some time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.