Infiltration Round 3: Alone in the Dark

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Empty, Dec 14, 2009.

1. complete_

complete_ lamer

if abstain votes dont count to the total then from my calculations its 2-2 between mageknight and metalsmith and id rather have metalsmith die than mageknight.

2. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

how long is a day?

3. Empty

Empty Member

For such a large number of abstains, I'll say that if they get a majority we kill nobody.

I said it because I'm trying to make you guys not look at the grammar for clues, but the content.

'THERES A COMMA ON THE SECOND LINE, AND CPATTON IS THE SECOND PERSON ON THE LIST OF PLAYERS.'
    'CPATTON MUST BE A COMMA-UNIST'

4. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

isnt it convenient then that there are only 4 votes and they are tied between two people, which would give a double kill.

Now i know not everyone has voted but if i were an infiltrator i would be following this thread, and i would be trying to stir up a vote against random base crew.

So i say, abstain your vote or be irrevocably branded as infiltrator.

I admit that it might seem like it would be better to go on luck and try and get an infiltrator, but i would rather play a game of logic then a game of chance, and right now the logical thing to do would be to not kill our own men because of a lack of clues.

If the infiltrators are stupid, the will reveal themselves. If not, they too will abstain and miss a chance to kill one or two of us.

I know i will look stupid when someone starts voting someone else and by sheer dumb luck they are an infiltrator, but it is more likely that we will benefit from this then we will lose.

Abstain your vote for this day ONLY or prepare to be killed.

5. complete_

complete_ lamer

well im not changing my vote then

6. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I'd agree, except we don't know how many infils there are this round. It would be silly if something like half of the players were infils, but its not impossible. Your plan may work if there are only a few infils, but we are wasting an opportunity if there are something like 6-7.

I'd prefer that we clear up this confusion between Metal Smith and I, but I see your point. However, you're taking a big risk IMO if there are quite a few infils.

We should probably institute a quorum (i.e. we need at least of the surviving members to vote to come to a decision). In this case, that means we'd need at least 10 people to vote. The effect is the same as a majority abstaining, but its a bit more formal.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  7. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

Wait, what? Why are people voting me?

Seriously guys? Can somebody please save me? Don't make the first round a double base crew kill. That's just disgusting.

8. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I heard rumours there aren't any infiltrators this round and Empty is just messing with us. :D

And please, i have never seen it in one of the real-life versions of this game that not voting overrides a kill vote. It's like saying there was no president elected, because 60% did not participate.

It would certainly be better for the base crew not to kill anyone until the scouts bring some information, but it is also booooring.

9. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Actually, this happens all the time. Many organized groups have quorum requirements that if you don't get X% of members present, you can't have any votes. Its to prevent something like 1% of voters deciding an issue, as 1% would hardly be representative of the group. The U.S. doesn't do this in elections because we favor having a definitive result over a representative one.

10. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

Now that would be an interesting psychology experiment.

11. Empty

Empty Member

It's too late for that now.

Although I've already got quite a bit of fun psychology planned out.

Even the infiltrators are in the dark.

I'm gunna go with this plan for abstains:
    If a majority of live players abstain, there will be no kill.
    E.G.
    20 players, 12 abstain, 8 vote.
    The abstains win.
    However, if the abstain votes 'win' a vote, without a majority, they are discarded.
    E.G.
    20 players, 8 abstain, 4 votes on Empty, 5 votes on cloud, 3 votes on Blizzerd
    The abstains technically win, but they have no majority, so cloud dies.

12. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Correction: cloud always dies <_>

13. Empty

Empty Member

if cloud:|sAlive() then
    cloud:Kill()
    end

14. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

I already have a plan to deal with infils pretending to be scouts and that way when I have determined the scouts and the infils I will have a nice list of infils for the riflemen to kill. Part of the next stage of the idea is that the scouts should not publically reveal themselves but work through me as a proxy, that way if the infil wants to silence them he has to kill me, but the scout can just use another confirmed member of the base crew to relay their information. This way we can get the benefit of a scout's information without them revealing themselves, if infils try and fake proxy then they will get scouted by other scouts and identified as such.

The problem is how to ensure that only two of the scouts report to me if they do not know each other and therefore cannot collaborate? Either noone will come forward or they all will, certainly not just the two that I want.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i really like how this game is going, and as empty said, we have some supprises in stock for you guys, this game will be of a higher quality then the others on the side of the game masters, that is for sure

16. Cloud

Cloud Member

I vote melarion, don't ask why, as i do not know why, probably something about the name i don't like, but that's as good a reason as any.

17. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

You should abstain, randomly voting is more likely to kill one of our classes than an infiltraitor and will help the infils cause. The only people who have an incentive to vote are the infils, so a failure to abstain your vote would be a mark against you.

18. Cloud

Cloud Member

Oh right, we can abstain now. I abstain :V

19. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

I'mma hop on the bandwagon and abstain; cloud hasn't said "LOL L3TS KILL PEEPZ," nor has he done anything worthy of his traditional first-round death, :p.

20. Cloud

Cloud Member

Me dying first round = tradition after it happened twice? You make me sad.