In 2.6.2, BE keeps rushing rail heavies

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Feb 22, 2015.

1. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

You know nothing about software development, delivery, support and distribution. NO ONE WANTS CONTINUOUS UPDATES.

It doesn't matter - you had time to fix the issues, use the communities knowledge to help you, but you failed. I would have laid out a plan for you that would have made everyone happy and you could have constructively taken input instead of asking people in spec "What do you think ...".

Your reign of error is over.

2. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Also under Spartapires, Compo was 40, then 25, and now cost of 12. Plain armor costs 10, Reactive is more expensive than Compo at 20, Reflective&Regen 18, Absorbant = Compo 12.

LOL

3. 101010

101010 Member

Why not just simplify it..
    -Strong
    -light
    -and balanced.
    Do we need more then 3 ?

Fun is what we need. Not random crap to confuse new people.

Then we could do the same for engines
    -Fast
    -Cooling
    -balanced

Give Armor and Engines there own tree and commanders can easily pick between the 3 types of each.

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Perhaps it's simply too cheap to field a strong heavy, and increasing the cost of composite and/or base heavy chassis would fix the issue and help reach the right mediums to heavies ratio.

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I don't know about that, base cost of a med is 300, heavies are 1000. It's a pretty big difference already.

I do think part of this is on player count. On lower player counts it's better to be in heavies even when you can field 2-3 times as many meds, simply because you have no one to actually drive all those meds. On higher pops yeah people should be spamming meds, but they can really only do that on open maps where they can actually drive around each other.

So point being is that when there's something of a limit to how many tanks you can effectively field it's almost always a better idea to get the more expensive option. If you doubled the cost of heavies that might be something though. Course it'll be the new arty at that point and so we might not really see heavies.

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

That's cold man. No need to go personal.

For armours it's always been quite fun to have different types. For engines...well we have that overheat extra variable which makes bio diesel useful. We don't really need 5 but mostly we have the extra one because we have 5 tech trees. To me, the difference between fission and 3-phase has usually been that 3-phase is built to spin out (for some unknown reason) and is slightly faster.

But then I never really got to grips with it. I always liked fission better.

Maybe what we really need is to make armours a little simpler. Have mediums with 3 strong plates, and heavies with 5 plates. Don't break up plates so much so you're buying loads, instead strengthen each plate into something that's more understandable.

What that mostly means is you'll be able to feel your armour more, and that it won't all feel like it's stripped off in one hit. They'll feel more like life bars on each side and instead of being "wtf, 4 plates gone!", you'll be like "crap, that side's taking punishment, have to switch". That sort of thing.

I think people get really annoyed when they load up a vehicle with massive amounts of armours and then they just get stripped off. It makes things feel like paper, and you go in all confident and after five seconds you're like..."what the hell has tank combat come to?!"

Also, Spartacus, I like what you've tried to do with the tanks. From a pure loadout/aesthetic perspective, I like to have a diverse arsenal at my disposal - with little kicker missiles on the side. Of course that takes a hell of a lot of balancing...and I haven't used a tank so I can't speak to that :p

One thing I would say, though, is watch that UE4 development. If Candles is working on it, you might have to junk a lot of your ideas for scripts and just make sure you have something people like playing with released, since Source Empires might not have an update for some time.

We've been there before - with bad balance and bugs for years on end. If you can, please try to see that doesn't happen now while everyone runs at UE4.

7. Lazybum

I never really thought about it til spike mentioned a couple days ago. Weapons for the most part have been balanced around 1 shot is 1 plate. Not saying it's a bad idea to increase plate health, but I do think more plates/less hp holds the advantage of a slightly more flexible weight system.

To draw a comparison to battlefield for a moment, empire tanks can last quite a bit longer the ones in battlefield even though driving tanks in bf can feel like a real tanky experience.

8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

compairing empires tanks to bf tanks is like compairing mariocart with toca2.

9. Lazybum

I mentioned it because ikalx was saying it can feel like empire tanks don't last at all, when they actually take quite the beating compared to other tanks in video games. I guess it is about how it should feel though, so maybe I did make a moot point.

10. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Not sure if it's the right time, but I always wanted to say this.

Weapons/vehicles or any script related stuff are what we shouldn't learn from other games. We don't need "Battlefield: Empires edition".

But features and other non-script stuff that polished their game are definitely what we should learn immediately from other games out there.
    For example, a tutorial. :|

11. flasche

yeh, why build on something others spent millions and millions for r&d, when we could ask the empires forum oracles ...

12. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

I think his point is that empires has the best damn tank battles of any games, so we really shouldn't dumb it down to battlefield's (or any other game's) level. (I agree)

13. flasche

whats so good about empires tank battles?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  14. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Bro, heavies tend to survive forever if you aren't greedy with them, even despite dual rail BS people keep calling.

15. flasche

and how is that GOOD? usually in fps stuff has advantages and disadvantages, in empires you only get better.

just because you suck in battlefield doesnt mean they are bad. they just follow sane design principles - unlike empires.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015