In 2.6.2, BE keeps rushing rail heavies

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Feb 22, 2015.

1. complete_

complete_ lamer

thats a bad way of having a benchmark, just saying

now that i think about it, i remember rails having a little too much ammo...
    i can guarantee that people won't complain if you just drop the ammo to 40 (instead of 60, right?) and it will be pretty balanced as a late game weapon. no need to touch anything else

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Running out of ammo is not a bad player problem unless they're campy. Most aren't.

3. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

I agree that running out of ammo is not a bad problem. If you are doing a solo push, and since most heavy tank drivers are grens, if you push into a base and are obliterating the enemy with no support from your team, you will have to pull back for ammo. I've been there and traded to be engie to resolve and lost more tanks. That type of balance is what the different classes and trade offs are all about in this game. Engie can repair, drop ammo and build but is more at risk in vehicles. Grens can fight to the death and still be effective on foot, and not lose tanks due to mines. Scouts can be fast. Rifleman can put more firepower on target.

By adding 60 * 2 to the most powerful gun you are removing that balance. One load can kill a bunch of buildings or the com. Reducing that load is how you balance a tank - not slowing it to the point that you impact other balances.

In case my other statements about the OTHER balances was not heard. BIO Engine is there to enable escaping a plasma attacker. Also since Plasma attackers now rarely overheat - that balance has also been removed. They must choose to fire or move. Someone at some point understood how to balance across multiple variables. That knowledge seems to be lost.

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

After checking it you're right for the most part, wow. I think part of the problem I'm having is that while the fire time is roughly the same for most weapons the amount of damage you can do is quite a bit different. Rails and triple ml are both doing somewhere between 1000-1500 damage more in that similar fire time. Considering most people tend to have 2 of them that's a lot of damage.

I understand that rails and triple ml are suppose to do a lot of damage, but I know I had the impression that it was more of a short burst of high damage. Not something that lasts forever.

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

Superior firepower at the cost of maneuverability. Lovin' it.

6. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

I was there, playing NF. It was amazing. The power rangers led us, and when we were holding out by the bridge that was several engies repairing one artillery - the arty had to be replaced 3 times, each holding out long enough to earn us approx. one more medium tank. Very cost effective.

I thought it eight years ago and it is still true; BE and NF heavies need identical weapon slots, with the only differences being in topology of tank and weapon slots of lower tier tanks. Otherwise balancing is never going to work.

Oh god yes.

7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I believe I said it somewhere that this isn't how you "balance" heavvy tanks.

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

I'm sure they could somehow be balanced to work as intended and all, but it sure as hell isn't easy.

9. complete_

complete_ lamer

ammo is a problem. wrongo for all you idiots. the game changed completely when infinite ammo was implemented

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

Whats a wrongo

11. complete_

complete_ lamer

it means less damage to barrackso

12. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Nope. We were all there anyway.
    Most tanks don't survive long enough for the effect of limited ammo to kick in.

Not to mention that I literally have to beg my team to fire at enemy rax or other important buildings. :|

13. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

Wait, am I misreading something here?

Because the last I heard, an arty tank is very $.

14. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

This is important Sparti/Empticus, print it out and put it on your wall, altough designing a game is different than standard user software.
    Add:
    1)some kind of mental model for the game design, even if it's wrong/too simplified it is still better than nothing
    2)then change only a very limited number of things and ceteris paribus (the rest stays the same)
    3)adjust your model based on the results of 2)
    4)repeat

15. complete_

complete_ lamer

i was always confused how they put out changes quicker to get second opinions on changes, but wont publish anything before the changes go live to get a second opinion (and in fact will put you as much as possible in the dark about future changes)

16. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

The whole (near) ceteris paribus thing was the idea, but it turns out that changes have a much longer lag than expected. For example, this thread's namesake was last edited before Christmas and we haven't had any significant edits to any armors or chassis to cause any material secondary effects. However, here we are, months later.

But that's why we test. We certainly can't go into anything pretending that we already know the impending result. Unexpected things happen and we learn.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  17. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i think firepower vs health survivability would be a lot more fun and even tie better into the infantry game.
    it would turn tanking around completely though. the amount of crying and bitching will be everything any dev had to endure combined. (but spatacus tries his best by himself)

anyway, sure mobility is a factor, but not the only one.

but its not that i dont see that there are certain steps in this direction, but uping meds to heavies was the wrong way round.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  18. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Wasn't abs much better against rails in january?

19. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yeah, but nobody ever used it, so I'm assuming that it didn't make much of a difference.

Or maybe it did. We're talking about an effective ~110hp/plate against rails, but the weight/plate went from 10 to 12, so you're fitting more on the tank. Maybe that was enough to stem that issue, but I recall people claiming that absorbant "didn't work" among other ancillary issues that we've discussed before. It was an interesting month where I saw be rush chem at least twice (wut...), so maybe some of this was caused by random chance.

I mean, we like to pretend that every ounce of feedback is iron clad and it only takes one game to completely figure out the balance of a match, but the truth is that there's a lot of random chance that muddies up this sort of thing. So maybe part of it really was a tougher anti-rail absorbant or maybe it was just randomly weird or maybe something else. Probably a mix of those things (add always...), lol.

20. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

But that doesnt matter cause you cant get a *feel* (TM) before playing, man.