I think the game may be too mentally challenging for it's playerbase.

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Chris0132', Jan 3, 2008.

1. flatmush

flatmush Member

Lol, if you were any better at working with people you could be a librarian :P

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I considered it, but I thought it would require too much interaction with other people.

As I said, I don't like having to rely on other people, if I could both command and play at the same time then I would, but unfortunately the game does not provide for that, so I must ask that it provide me with better players instead.

3. Chahk

Chahk Member

Now I understand where you're coming from. You've been playing the wrong game all this time!

You hear that Krenzo? Forget aircraft, better get right on coding better players!

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I am reasonably certain you aren't stupid enough to think I meant that.

I am suggesting that the game does not educate it's players enough, most players start out receptive to ideas, especially in a new game, I know this because I have seen people take to many different games and be able to grasp tactics, strategies, and the knowledge required for each.

I do not believe empires devotes enough effort into show it's players how to actually play the game. There is a fine art to getting people to understand things, one which I am having to employ at the moment, because you are unable to formulate this idea by yourself.

I don't want to have to explain to my team how to play the game before I can command them, I especially don't want to have to do this for nearly every player out there (and I assume the goal is to have a great many more players on the mod). The game itself should bring the players up to a workable level of competence, and then I can start using them to perform tasks.

I will command to the best of my ability to ensure that my players have the tools they need to enjoy the game, as long as you extend me the same courtesy by doing your best to ensure that my players know how to follow my commands, thereby ensuring my enjoyment of the game. This is not beyond the ability of the development team.

5. supaste

supaste Member

Stop flaming everything, the hole you are in is just getting deeper and deeper. You know you love Empires and everything about it your just afraid to say it.

6. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Do get people to listen to you as commander you just need a deep and a sexy voice... *Grroowl*

7. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Some of those pop-up tool tips like they have in Natural Selection would be good. You know, you run up to an unbuilt building and it say "This a building belonging to your team, you can build it by using the engineers tool." or "This is a refinery, it generates resource that your team can spend on vehicles, buildings an research". Then players could learn as they play.

Empires is still in Beta though, better off adding features and stuff at this point, things like adding tooltips and making the interface prettier and easier to use can wait imao.

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

How many times do I have to repeat myself?

9. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

I think making Empires easier to understand for beginners pretty high priority. Nobody cares if it is in beta, most mods don't even get out of beta.

10. Chahk

Chahk Member

You have to keep in mind several things.

One. The game is still in Beta, which means that things that'll help new players get up to speed quickly (e.g. context-sensitive tips, training map, etc.) are going to take time to implement.

B. In the meantime while those things are not available, it's up to us veterans to take newbies under our wings and show them the ropes. Yes, that means you and I and everyone who wants this mod to succeed need to turn off the elitist mode and take time to explain things over and over and over again. We the community need to stop turning away new players with our smugness "pwn-you" attitude and be helpful.

Three. (or is it C?) No matter how noob-friendly the manual, wiki and in-game training are, there will always be those who disregard everything and start the game by chasing ammos in the boomtank. There's nothing anyone can do to make them read or listen, so you just have to put up with them.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  11. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I played a game on the JPL server where all of the people there were complete nubs; just got the game a couple of days ago; I had to turn it into a mass training session; in the end everyone had fun; sure I talked into the mic so much my head was about to blow up but, what the hell...

12. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Yeah there are some real retards about. The worst is this one guy who has printed off all the descriptions from the wiki or something and 90% of it is wrong or irrelevant and I was sitting there trying to get some cw newb to tech HE and he is going off on some random thing about guided missiles. So of course we don't get HE but guided UML heavies....................

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It seems logical to me that making the mod more friendly to new players should be the immediate priority, as more players means more testers, more suggestions, more maps, more publicity, more everything the mod needs.

By building up a player base during the mod's development, that would speed up the development, rather than trying to develop and then building up a playerbase with the finished mod, which took ages to develop.

14. Kit

Kit Member

So what if counter-strikers get a headache? This game supposed to be a hybrid of FPS and RTS, its not supposed to be a mindless slaughter.

Anyone who isn't smart enough to read the documentation of a game they do not understand shouldn't be on the internet, they are a burden.

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Because, bizzarely enough, counter strikers make up the majority of the FPS genre's clientele. And as has been said before, this mod is competing for a market share.

A mod without players is pointless.

16. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Every night I play on a full server, so as far as I'm concerned there are enough players :D I like mods with small communities, you get that 'everyone knows everyone' feeling. I've played mods and games that have thrived for years with a very small player base no problem.

17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I don't.

Mods with few players have little custom content, little variety in servers and addons, and generally don't get very far.

18. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

The current community is more them capable of being self sufficient, though I have not seen an animator around the forums, thats a shame...

Though more new players is always a good thing; thats a given, I don't understand why you are trying to argue that. They are saying that a game can continue to exists EVEN IF the player base is small, a sort of a "Cult Classic" if you please.

It seems you are just the type of people that like to argue over nothing :p. You would make a good lawyer...

19. flatmush

flatmush Member

No I don't argue over nothing :P

20. Chahk

Chahk Member

That's a double-edged sword. If the devs concentrate on making the mod noob-friendly, they may lose more players due to crashes, bugs and other gameplay issues. What good is the training map if the game crashes in the middle of it.

So far the releases were aimed at stability, bug fixing, balancing and adding features that make the game fun to play in any role. Every feature added since v1.0 was developed because one or another gameplay aspect was lacking; nothing was added "for the heck of it" (except maybe collapsible walls :p). Once the core game is stable, balanced, enjoyable and challenging can the attention be turned to making it user-friendly.