I think the game may be too mentally challenging for it's playerbase.

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Chris0132', Jan 3, 2008.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Seriously, the last dozen or so games I've played have been full of retards asking 'How do I get ammo?' and 'How do I get in vehicle?' with varying degrees of legibility. Couple that with equally retarded clans stacking teams and arguing with me that jeeps are good, BSID idiots talking about 'pwning' everything, and totally retarded team members who are completely incapable of following orders, and the game starts to remind me more and more of CS, that is to say, deathmatch without rocket launchers and chainguns.

This game has the potential to be so much more than that, but the people who play it are, by and large, far too stupid to play it like that.

The game relies too much on teamplay, now I have nothing agaisnt teamplay, it's just that the people who play the mod are so incompetent that they aren't capable of actually performing the tasks which require it. Such as when I tell someone to buy an APC and keep it alive, they drive it round the corner into a pair of grenadiers and then complain when I berate them for their idiocy. "How the fuck was I supposed to know they were there?" To which I reply, "You weren't, but you also weren't supposed to drive ahead of everyone without getting infantry to clear the way first.".

Things like that are fairly intuitive to me, so I'm left with two possible assumptions, either the player in question has the IQ of a parsnip, or they are deliberately trying to annoy me.

So I put it to you, do you feel the same way? Do you have some equally remarkable stories of the tremendous stupidity of our beloved players? Or do you wish to present a counter-argument?

2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

haha this is very true... makes me miss the tester pugs :(

this mod is made for like minded people.. throw in some idiots and it gets sour

3. Kuma

Kuma Member

I have to agree with dubee here, the testing days where fun....people didn't constantly shout "I NEED AMMO" when there was an armory, fully built, on the other side of the base. (true story, I was an engie on repair duty on a team under siege, and this gren would keep shouting I NEED AMMO, even though there was an armory not half way across the base...)

As for jeeps...well...I can sped 55-65 res for a jeep and keep it alive the whole match, getting me where I need to be, and not as expensive as an APC or a tank. But from what I can see, things like the League, show what can be done if teams work together, something that needs to be done about the newbies....

4. REX

REX Member

Lol but ofcourse its like this

The main amount of people out there, (The mainstream) crowd doesnt have the brainpower or will to think when they are looking for entertainment.

Just look at all the commercial games out there and reviews. Stuff like it sucks that you have to read a lot ingame and such are normal comments. Streamlined simple solutions get the biggest audience. Therefore the mainpart of so called gamers out there dont have the brainpower of patience for something like this.

So I think its very natural that a largre amount of all the people who try empires cant really handle it. Maybe because they cant master it in a few minutes and may experience their first match as a complete slaughter maybe failing to kill anyone through the entire game they sometimes explode in anger or just leave.

but to me it seems very variable when I play, but I also miss the PUGs.

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I wish there was a 40 player vet server. specifically for veterans.

6. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

The largest problem I find is that among the vets and more experienced players, there is little patience to listen long enough to the newbies to find out which ones are annoying and which ones are doing it on purpose. I will explain anything to anyone who asks, no matter how retarded or how sarcastic the question is. If they are complete newbs, they'll thank me. If they are vets, they get pissed off for me explaining what a mine does.

Patiences goes both ways, being a patient new player and learning the game, as well as being a patient old player and helping the new players become better.

I don't want to point too many fingers, but I have noticed that anyone with a clan tag on seems to think that they are above the teaching newbs part of the game. They seem to feel it is a waste of their time to help them understand simple things, or simple to them at least.

overall, this lack of patiences and large amounts of vet cockyness will really destroy this game and make it not worth while. The only position newbs should not be tolerated in is the com. Other than that, Everyone needs to either be more willing to learn or more willing to help. Being social and building a community around this game will go a long way.

A great game full of assholes isn't worth playing when it comes to online games.

7. @BLOODy

@BLOODy Member

You nag at vets AND newbies?

Here's a dutch saying that fits here, BSID met de makkelijke naam.
    I have not been in BSID as long as most others, but you will rarely see us stack.

8. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Sounds like a general gaming problem not related to Empires in any perticular way; it is just more apperant in Empires then any other game... If anything blame the mainstream market for spawning such people...

It was predicted right before the closed beta closed (lol) that after 2 weeks players that think they are "Pro" will emerge and start bitching at everybody for everything...

The driving APC around the corner thing: so? I did that many times to epic lulz of both teams, what I did though instead of starting a bitch fest is grab another APC and go slower with it as it is clear that the enemy is not retarded... (Or keep trying untill I break through with that same APC; which us usualy the case -_-;; )

In short... Just keep playing...

9. Goose

Goose Member

Thanks for the personal insult. Last I checked, we seldom talk about "pwning" people in game. As for the clan stacks, I do like how you put our name following clan stacks because I guess we are the only clan to have ever stacked in the history of online gaming. Check any game, I guarantee the =[BSID]= tag is less used for stacking then any other active clan out there. Chris, I have had no issue with you before and was glad that you were being such an asset to the empires community with your mapping ability. But as soon as you single out BSID and make derogatory remarks regarding the clan in which I am apart of, I have lost a lot of respect for you. We as a clan and individuals within the clan have been contributing to the empires community in more ways than you can even imagine. I am sorry you have such a strong prejudice against us and there is nothing I can do to change your extreme bigotry towards us.

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I simply think this game is too young to call anyone a newb. It's in open beta testing isn't it? the 2.1 beta? It may not be complete for months a year even. There is so much room for it to expand and it will change so much. Calling anyone a newb sounds a tab bit stuck up honestly.

11. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

bloody u wont believe it but there are actually other clans then bsid, trust me ive seen them.

on the behalf of teaching complete nubs:
    if ppl do not bother to rtfm those ppl arent worth teaching imo and so every person that asks something as dumb as how to remove walls or place turrents usually gets a rtfm in responce from me and something less pleasant if further asking. i just cant see why the fuck i should help somebody who cant be bothered to Read The Fucking Manual

12. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

5 of BSID played 2 games with you without talking about pwning and you didn't even notice?

I think it's funny how all these people always bitch about BSID, but whenever I play with BSID all I hear them talk about is teamwork. I think you just had to add that to make your topic more interesting as if you're into the community.

Just play the game, why complain about others? Or are you so confident you are much better than a 100 other players you have never met before.

Getting people to play together takes work, you can't just expect someone to feel exactly the same way about how to play the game as you, just keep trying and you'd be surprised how much teamwork theres going on.

Besides on one hand you're complaining about people stacking, then you're complaining about how retarded some people are. Why would these people even bother trying to make the game fun for you if they can have fun with their friends playing as a team, you'll just go on the forum and call them retards anyway.
    Go find your own friends to play and "stack" with, nobody is forced to make the game fun for you, everybody is playing this game in their own spare time and if they want to solely play in a team with their own friends, thats their damn right.

Unless theres a new rule added where it says "You're not allowed to have innocent fun, unless everyone on the server has the same amount of fun. You're not allowed to play with friends or even make friends you play on a daily basis with and have social contact with these friends apart from during a game of empires, because it is unfair to the others;" I'm not even going to bother to justify anything I do on the server, it's perfectly legal.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  13. REX

REX Member

This is an old mod many have been playing for atleast a year or more and those are often the ones called vets here. A much larger new group formed after 2.0 was released, but the old group had already been playing 2.0 in various states for like half a year or more when it was released. We really wanted the new group :) and ofcourse we expect new people to make the standard errors a lot in the beginning.

I think this is just a try at discussing if it is too complicated, but I dont see it going anywhere constructive right now.

14. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

Some servers, usually the big ones, don't have much noobs in them and have players that teamwork. The KM clan server is my absolute favourite.

We need a 40+ passworded server only avaiable to the members who visit the forum since most forum-goers aren't idiots.
    I can't say much since I basically only play in the KM server so far. And it's been fine there.

15. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Every RPG I've ever played, I play it for around 2 hours and get used to the battle system, figure things out. Then I'll look over FAQ's and Game guides about what I just did, figure out what kind of things I missed and what to expect the rest of the game.

Then I delete that game and start all over.

Reading the manual is all fine and well, but not worth it if you haven't decided the game was worth it yet. First impressions are Most important. If I can't figure out how the basic game mechanics work after my first try at it, then the game is a tad too complicated in nature to be worth while.

Relating that to this game, If the crowd within the game is not kind enough to either politely tell me to fuck off or kind enough to tell me once or twice, then i'll stick around and read the manual. If not, why waste 3 hours of my time reading through manuals, history, weapons specs, and upgrade trees?

Welcome to empires, the fanciest Chat room on the internet! without the community and people to talk to in game, it's really not that exciting. If you can laugh with your team at killing 8 people with one mine, it makes something awesome really not so much worth while. When that happens, the game becomes that much less enjoyable.

16. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

i didn't really read through the responses, but i will later I assure you. In the meantime, I generally agree with the original thread comment. Either people are too stupid or the game isn't intuitive enough. (I like to blame the people, but changing the people playing is gonna be far harder then changing the game.)

I think a SERIOUS push needs to be made to 'idiot-proof' empires, so much so that THIS should be the focus of the next patch. Pop up tips, that tutorial map (but that may not happen), signs on buildings saying what they are, general objectives displayed on your screen when something happens (i.e. 'build refs to get monies!' when you are near a resource node as an engineer), and a dozen other good suggestions that have been proposed in the suggestions menu. MANY improvements are needed because like the man said, we (the collective we) are dumb as a box of rocks.

17. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

if BSID really IS Brenodi's Sexiest Infantry Division, why are they all in tanks most of the time?

I'd have to agree with Butters. Even I, for the longest time, had no idea how to defuse mines. I knew it had something to do with humping the mine and pressing e, but it didnt work, and it made me sad. But, much of the things are self-explanitory - all players need to know is: Radar = radar, Rax = Spawn, Armory = gunz and shit, VF = tanks and shit, Ref = just fucking build it, CV = STAY AWAY.

Gmod has tons of hints and tips that pop up endlessly, and look how many players they have! Wait, never mind.

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I complain at everybody, I tend to view my opinion as correct and everybody else as being an idiot.

And I ALWAYS see you lot stack, and always on BE. I saw my first BSID playing NF about two games ago, and every other game I play they always go BE, and if there's more than one of them, they always go BE together, regardless of the team balance.

I believe in changing the game, but the only obvious solution is to remove the complexity, which would mean removing the features, and by extension, the gameplay.

The other alternative is to make it highly intuitive, either by including tips, or a tutorial, or something that people either will want to do or will have to do, because most people appear to be too lazy (or stupid) to read the manual, which I also berate them for, as it happens.

The KM server does tend to have better players on it, but I have observed that there is one team that always wins, because it has people working together, and another team full of retards.

You're welcome. In my experience BSID members tend to talk about 'pwning' more than the other players, and they stack just as much as the other clans. I didn't actually single out BSID as being a particular stacker, I said 'clans stack' meaning all clans. I don't have a prejudice against your members, I have an observed opinion. I have observed your members acting like idiots and therefore must assume that your clan contains a lot of them, this does not however imply that being in your clan makes you an idiot. Do not make extend my statements beyond what they are.

Oh and your respect is not required.

19. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

make something idiotproof and only an idiot will use it

even if there were tutorials most ppl just wont fucking touch em(proven by X2) u just cant do anything but total extinction against retards, in 95% its a terminal desease meaning only death cures it

20. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

I think the key to good teamwork is good communication. If you have a mic, use it dammit! I find that the matches where more people use mics tend to be the more enjoyable ones. Believe it or not, a lot of new players aren't total idiots. They just don't have any direction, and with mics you can give them some. Report enemy positions, give orders (even if you're not commander), and just help players out in general. I think the player base with empires is much more intelligent than comparable online games (think bf2). The most important thing is not to get too frustrated with stupid people. If they are incapable of playing the mod, they'll leave eventually. They don't need you yelling at them for 10 mins.

Oh, and bsid, sorry guys. I have nothing against you personally, but you just have a bad rep in the community. Best thing to do is to ignore haters, and show a good example.