I Miss Turboz

Discussion in 'Testing Discussion' started by MomoZMonster, Jul 17, 2014.

1. 101010

101010 Member

Be nice to put it in options to give people a choice. I would prefer manual.

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

It used to be an option.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Not in the past 7 years it wasn't. And I have an Empires 1.0 distro and it isn't an option in that, so I'm not sure I believe you.

Seriously, keyboard gear shifting sucks. It's at least just about tolerable on a controller but it's dumb as fuck using a keyboard. I mean, theoretically if the jeep was the ONLY vehicle to have this, then you could possibly bind up/down shifting to mouse 1/2 given you don't fire, but I don't know how practical that is. But I'm also not sure how I'd feel about the jeep being the only vehicle with it. I also think that despite people going "omg I'd use that" or whatever, the amount of people who might actually use it are probably countable on one hand.

4. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

The solution is an MMO mouse. Real men bind everything they need to their 38 possible buttons.

5. ViroMan

It wasn't originally part of it. It was implemented and then taken out 2 rc's later saying that it wasn't worth the trouble or something like it.

6. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I would definitely use it. I think having that control is necessary to really pull off some fancy stuff. Plus it gives me something else to while I putter about in that keep.

7. 101010

101010 Member

Mouse wheel for shifting.

Also what would it take for turbo to officially be added?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

A lot of people want to use that as an argument, but as someone who does a lot of jeep driving, I really don't know what you're talking about. Having gear control might allow a faster climb up hills (though somehow changing the point at which the gears change automatically could accomplish the same thing). But I really don't know what you're referring to when you claim it would allow you to pull off more fancing things. This isn't RL, there is no clutch pedal. I don't see any situation in which having a manual gear change would increase your capability in a jeep besides hill-climbing, which we can also probably emulate with the auto-box.

Me getting laid.

So no, turbo will never be official.

9. ViroMan

Shit, I mean... look at that face... if trixster can't get laid... he must have some serious hygiene/social issues. We are doomed.

10. Lazybum

I need the control to have the power when I need it. I mean if you could adjust the autoshifting to work a bit better I guess that would be fine, but currently it is very hard to get the power you need to carry you through drifts and other turns because it constantly shifts gears when you don't want it to, causing a sudden loss of power. I think it would indeed be handy.

11. ViroMan

Auto shifting is delicate.

From what I have deduced...
    When engine shifts the axel ratio goes up and the gear ratio goes down.
    This gives more speed but, less power.
    If auto shift rpm is set higher you get more torque but, it takes longer to speed up.

12. Lazybum

I don't think that setting in the scripts that turns auto transmission on/off does anything. I wanted to see what jeeps were like with it off, so manual controls, but it still shifted and hit 80kph easily, just as if it was on. Is it hardcoded to ignore the scripts on that setting?

13. ViroMan

That... is a candles question.

14. 101010

101010 Member

On my phone so I can't check. But I think you also need to remove the auto shift values from the script.

On a side note- if you duplicate all the steering stuff and put boost in front of them. Then you can set the steering while using turbo.

15. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Just need to make the first gear ratio or 2 lower and add a 6th gear to start making a bit of a difference (currently only has 5 gears)

16. ViroMan

You can go as low as 2.5 for first gear(and my jeeps do go that low) I wouldn't go lower then that because it becomes too difficult to climb hills from stop on them.