I Miss Turboz

Discussion in 'Testing Discussion' started by MomoZMonster, Jul 17, 2014.

1. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

I MISS TURBOZ
    that is all

give turboz..and nitrous.. supercharger optional..cost extra:headshot:

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Beg vicky for them back?

3. 101010

101010 Member

There are ways of making it work...........
    But seriously I think she removed it for 2 reasons.
    1. Plugins caused a lot of issues after the port.
    2. It was overly exploited.

Maybe after viro finishes the vehicle scripts turbo could be fixed.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  4. ViroMan

... well. Trickster said he only wanted my jeeps not the rest. I could spiffy them up a bit and then put them out. He would probably yank out the turbo though. -_-

5. 101010

101010 Member

If I remember correctly trickster has no problem with turbo. He just hates empiresmod's turbo. I'm sure if it was better he would allow it.
    But it's kind of have to work on turbo when the vehicle scripts are getting redone.

Why did he just want the Jeep scripts ?

6. ViroMan

Its been a while... and I am not going to search since... the fucking web server is Slower then molasses at the moment but, if I remember... he wanted jeeps scripts, and for the heavies to not skate. The rest of the vehicle mods were ... unsolicited. I admit I might be going over the top with a nearly full revamp of the vehicle handling.

• Bigger the vehicle class... the heavier, slower, and stronger it is (more horse power).
    • Bigger vehicles will push smaller ones around.
    • Smaller vehicles can't push larger vehicles around much at all.
    • Ramming things with the jeeps using turbo might nudge the target but, tend to kill you in the process. Each high speed bump a jeep gets can possibly do serious hull dmg.
    • Fastest vehicle IS the jeep and no other vehicle can catch up to a jeep except another jeep.

7. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Bro, you got that 100% backwards. Trickster wanted everything except the jeeps, not just the jeeps. He wants the smooth handling for tanks 'n' shit, with the sliding still going on for jeeps.

8. ViroMan

hey.. its like 4 hours past my bed time and im drunk as shit on this... <reads the nice frozen blue bottle> hpnotiq... and the fucking web server is slow as shit right now so I wasn't going to do a search... give me a break.

9. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

its just fun doin back flips on the cool maps, skateboarding on slaughtered is optional, although...kinda freaken fun

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Just leave the wheeled vehicles as they are, they're fine, you can fuck with them later. I actually want them to slide more but in a more controllable way.

But with tracked vehicles, I want them to basically not slide at all. I want decent, tight handling that allows for a good amount of manoeuvrability. Pretty much what you did to the jeeps, but to vehicles that actually need it instead.

11. Reznov

Reznov Member

R.I.P. jeep, you were once fun to drive with.

12. ViroMan

90% removal of skid from any vehicle is as simple as changing one variable to 0 instead of 1.

"skidallowed" "0" // true/false skid flag

Its not elegant but, it works.

I dare you to do it to jeeps just to fuck around with jeepwhores.

The elegant way is to change tire friction, braking power per axel, angle modifier, and even suspension a bit.

Did you know the AFV has its mass center centered back since its track wheels are actually larger then its front non-tracked wheels. Thus the front wheels actually 'dangle' down a bit more then they should if there was full weight on the wheels. When you remove the altered centering on the vehicle it actually leans forward and the back treads lift off ground. lol.

13. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Nah, I'm pretty sure it went like this:

Some useless impatient dumbass oldfag set up a turbo config in the jeep scripts many years ago. Mind you, there are a lot of turbo parameters and we are not limited to "Turbo is on" or "Turbo is off." This particular set of turbo parameters was shit, so the devs of the day decided that all turbo must be shit. The shit-turbo was commented out of the scripts. It is still sitting there, but it does nothing because it's commented out.

Vicki, goddess of pure awesome that she is, comes along and decides to enable turbo for whatever reason. Because of the way that source works, she only has to edit the scripts on the server and they "change" for every player. She takes 30s and removes the commenting that disables the shitty turbo.

The undisabled turbo sucks. Everyone thinks turbo is shit. Wealthy & Friends decide that their purpose in life is to make jeeps not-shit. First order of business is to remove turbo until it can be made not-shit.

Sneaky as he is, Wealthy did not remove turbo. He deleted the commented shitty-default-turbo that had sat in the jeep scripts for years. Now Vicki updates to a new version of Empires and heads over to the scripts to undisable shitty-default-turbo. Oh no, there's nothing there to undisable. Oh well, those pesky devs stole muh turbo!

Vicki has shit to do and does not investigate further. Wealthy is winrar.​

So yeah, turbo is still in the game. A few months ago, the jeep script looked like this:

Code:

"engine"
    	{
    		"horsepower"		"250"		// engine power
    		"maxrpm"		"1500"		// max rounds per minute
    		"maxspeed"		"65"		// forward mph
    		"maxReverseSpeed"	"15"		// backward mph
    		"autotransmission"	"1"		// true for auto, false for manual
    		"axleratio"		"3.56"		// ratio of engine rev to axle rev
    		"gear"			"3.5"		// 1st gear (max 6 gears) (seems to be the backwards/brake gear too)
    		"gear"			"1.8"		// 2nd gear
    		"gear"			"1.26"		// 3rd gear
    		"gear"			"1.0"		// 4th gear
    		"gear"			"0.84"		// 5th gear
    		"shiftuprpm"		"600"		// max RPMs to switch to a higher gear
    		"shiftdownrpm"		"250"		// min RPMs to switch to a lower gear

// Empires - no boost for you!	
    //		"boost"
    //		{
    //			"force"		"1.5"	// 1.5 car body mass * gravity * inches / second ^ 2
    //			"duration"	"1.0"	// 1 second of boost
    //			"delay"		"15"	// 15 seconds before you can use it again
    //			"torqueboost"	"1"	// enable "sprint" mode of vehicle, not	force type booster			
    //			"maxspeed"	"50"	// maximum turbo speed
    //			"force"		"2.5"	// use for value as a boost factor
    //		}
    	}

"steering"
    	{
    		"degreesSlow"		"40"	// angle in degrees of steering
    		"degreesFast"		"20"	// angle in degrees of steering
    		"steeringExponent"	"1.0"	// steering function is linear, then raised to this power to be slower at the beginning of the curve, faster at the end

"slowcarspeed"		"10"	// this is the max speed of "slow"
    		"fastcarspeed"		"20"	// this is the min speed of "fast"
    		"slowsteeringrate"	"2"	// this is the speed the wheels are steered when the vehicle is "slow"
    		"faststeeringrate"	"0.5"	// this is the speed the wheels are steered when the vehicle is "fast"

"steeringRestRateSlow"	"4.0"	// this is the speed at which the wheels move toward their resting state (straight ahead)
    		"steeringRestRateFast"	"2.0"
    		"turnThrottleReduceSlow"		"0.15"
    		"turnThrottleReduceFast"		"0.15"
    		"brakeSteeringRateFactor"		"6"
    		"throttleSteeringRestRateFactor"	"2"

"skidallowed"	"1"	// true/false skid flag
    		"dustcloud"		"1"	// flag for creating a dustcloud behind vehicle
    	}

Now they look like this:

Code:

"engine"
    	{
    		"horsepower"		"250"		// engine power
    		"maxrpm"		"1500"		// max rounds per minute
    		"maxspeed"		"65"		// forward mph
    		"maxReverseSpeed"	"15"		// backward mph
    		"autotransmission"	"1"		// true for auto, false for manual
    		"axleratio"		"3.56"		// ratio of engine rev to axle rev
    		"gear"			"3.5"		// 1st gear (max 6 gears) (seems to be the backwards/brake gear too)
    		"gear"			"1.8"		// 2nd gear
    		"gear"			"1.26"		// 3rd gear
    		"gear"			"1.0"		// 4th gear
    		"gear"			"0.84"		// 5th gear
    		"shiftuprpm"		"600"		// max RPMs to switch to a higher gear
    		"shiftdownrpm"		"250"		// min RPMs to switch to a lower gear
    	}

"steering"
    	{
    		"degreesSlow"		"40"	// angle in degrees of steering
    		"degreesFast"		"20"	// angle in degrees of steering
    		"steeringExponent"	"1.0"	// steering function is linear, then raised to this power to be slower at the beginning of the curve, faster at the end

"slowcarspeed"		"10"	// this is the max speed of "slow"
    		"fastcarspeed"		"20"	// this is the min speed of "fast"
    		"slowsteeringrate"	"2"	// this is the speed the wheels are steered when the vehicle is "slow"
    		"faststeeringrate"	"0.5"	// this is the speed the wheels are steered when the vehicle is "fast"

"steeringRestRateSlow"	"4.0"	// this is the speed at which the wheels move toward their resting state (straight ahead)
    		"steeringRestRateFast"	"2.0"
    		"turnThrottleReduceSlow"		"0.15"
    		"turnThrottleReduceFast"		"0.15"
    		"brakeSteeringRateFactor"		"6"
    		"throttleSteeringRestRateFactor"	"2"

"skidallowed"	"1"	// true/false skid flag
    		"dustcloud"		"1"	// flag for creating a dustcloud behind vehicle
    	}

Oh boy, that's some next level turbo removal.

FAKEEDIT FOR FUCKING FUCK'S SAKE IF AZK OR VICKI IS READING THIS PLEASE DO NOT COPY AND PASTE THAT SHITTY TURBO ONTO VIPER. IF YOU WANT MEDIOCRE TURBO, DEAR JESUS, PELASE TALK TO SOMEONE LIKE ME OR VIROMAN. WE CAN SPEND FIVE MINUTES MAKING BETTER TURBO FOR CURRENT JEEPS. NO TURBO AT ALL IS BETTER THAN THAT HORRIBLE TURBO.

Bro, I love you, but fuck me if you aren't stupid as hell sometimes.

If you give Wealthy a 10-min 1-step change, he will do it. Now you don't get your scripts in the game and we continue with fucking terribad tanks.

smh

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to make the wheels different sizes?

Is there any reason that this could be fixed by making the front wheels larger? The tanks would "float" a bit in the front?

Yeah, I got nothin. I literally can't even

I thought it would be cool if we could enable turbo on a per-engine basis. Like you have an engine called "Turbo Engine" and it's gimmick is that it provides a turbo. This is not possible in the current scripts, but it would be awesome if it could be.

Oh and since everyone will go, "erma gerd, everyone would pick the turbo engine!!!1," I need to make it clear that a properly balanced turbo engine should be much slower than any current engine and its turbo should be vastly different than the previous turbo or really any turbo that you've ever experienced if you've fucked with people's jeep scripts.

14. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Like I dont even disagree with the rest, but you are really clueless here.

15. ViroMan

hmm.. well it might be possible to enable turbo... per engine. I will test it.

edit:
    well I gave it a few different tries and no joy. :(

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  16. 101010

101010 Member

Editing scripts would have been the easy way.
    Viper I know for sure at one point used a plugin for it.

There are a few ways to still enable turbo......

17. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

:headshot: since we are on the subject... I think its time to get rid of the nf roll bar that blocks the view while driving.

18. ImSpartacus

She used a fucking plugin? To enable turbo? Are you kidding me?

Who the fuck would spend their time making a plugin for such a thing?

Bro, do you even custom textures?

19. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

This thread is a perfect example of people (mainly spartacus) not having a clue about what they are talking about.

I actually talked to Vicki before removing turbo, and no, she didnt use a plugin.*

That said, if it gets readded by people in the shitty form it was in then we can look at disabling it in code and spending coders time to properly disable it rather than doing a 2 minute edit which has the same effect.

The only reason that I didn't finish off fixing the jeep scripts months ago is because I was told that viro will have a full vehicle script overhaul ready soon.

Reznov and bloodraven both tested the scripts I had at the time before binning them once I heard that viroman was working on it.

* Also, Vicki wasnt the first server with turbo, that would have been napalms server.

Edit:

Actually, I'll bite on this one:

Ah. So thats why I spent 4 or 5 hours on the jeep scripts a few months ago then decided not to do anything when it was mentioned that viroman was doing a vehicle overhaul?

20. ImSpartacus

If it means anything, I'm sorry that I didn't have a complete picture of the story and I appreciate you being there to set the record straight.

If that's your only reason, then you're out of reasons. Viroman is dragging his feet for his own personal reasons so you might as well commit your stuff.

I genuinely don't mean to pick on you in particular, but I'm continually flabbergasted at the slow pace of iteration on this game. If this was a business where downtime could cause real, actual lost income, then I would be completely 100% on board with the current patient, cautious pace of iteration. But there's effectively no negative consequence to testing jeep scripts except you will piss out reznov/bloodraven (any change will piss them off) and only them.

Specifically, testing vehicle scripts is especially easy since you can do it on a server-by-server basis. Why can't EPIC test out your jeeps for a few weeks? I'm assuming that you can make the changes yourself or easily find someone (cyberkiller?) who can.