How to get people to listen to you?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Lazybum, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Whenever I command there always seems to be this thing where only about 20% of the team will listen to what I have to say, no matter how important it could be. Beyond yelling louder, which I really can't bring myself to do, how do I get people to listen to me???

2. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

How to make people killspawn:
    Say killspawn loudly until they do it.

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Recycle all other spawn points... they have to spawn at the one closest to you. Some coms have done this. Its annoying as fuck but, works.

4. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Try to whisper to reach them via their subconsciousness.

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Speak confidently and clearly.

Have a plan and let them know that you want their assistance executing it.

6. complete_

complete_ lamer

talk about how if your team listens to you, they are going to "rape" the other team. gamers love that shit

7. Lazybum

Sometimes it isn't a killspawn I need, though that does make up 50% of my needs, it is usually getting people in a tank/apc and getting them to go somewhere. Like where my comm vehicle is. Surrounded by walls. And turrets. That are the enemies. Yeah.

8. Empty

Empty Member

Even if you're being satirical please god don't spread this shit

The whole social justice shit flooding gaming is completely retarded, on both fronts.

9. complete_

complete_ lamer

i think guys either groveling or being rapey over mic whenever a girl speaks is fucking pathetic. so obvious why only guys use chat. guess im too social justice warrior for u

my advice still stands lazybum. say youre gonna rape their main (by first leading them into yours)

10. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Or just work independently and give no fuck to your team.

11. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Is this how you get by anti-caps?

STOP RAPING US WITH YOUR PATRIARCH OPINIONS. ALL FEMALE REPRESENTATION IN VIDEO GAMES HAVE TO BE BIG FAT LANDWHALES CAUSE THAT'S WHAT A REAL WOMAN LOOKS LIKE!!!1

12. 101010

101010 Member

This works great for a few coms like FN.
    From the start he tells people do exactly what he say and we will rape the other team.
    From that point on they are hooked to his every word.

Other then that don't be an annoying com. If you drop a ref right in front of me and give a guard order.....first time maybe 2nd time......from that point on your on your own. I don't care if your getting walled by a single noob. Then when the rounds over I'm going to blame you for being a bad com.

13. Lazybum

I think people want me to be a bit more annoying. Mostly because things tend to go bad because I use to assume people knew what to do. Anyways if I ever spam a guard order for something right next to you is because you or whoever else keeps demanding a building when I already dropped it next to them.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I feel like this is sarcasm because I kinda do that in a way.... I can't help it though, I don't know how to support a team from the back when they can't even defend the front. Gotta push with them or something.

14. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Step 1: Get microphone
    Step 2: Go through puberty
    Step 3: Earn respect
    Step 4: Fucking treat each individual player like they're fucking special. These fucking noobs love to be loved. If they build a refinery, acknowledge them for it and say they're better than every other player on the enemy team.

15. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Or: How I Learned to Stop Caring and Love Being Comm

16. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

• dont ask what your team can do for you, ask what you can do for your team. if they dont play along your plan, follow theirs - no matter how retarded. you cant force players, so if they dont build tanks, spam the map with bases, maybe even get lvl3s, it helps infantry more then researched heavies noone drives.
    • dont panic - never - they can smell your fear/uncertainty over the internets (or at least hear it in your voice)
    • be supportive, acknowledge what people archieve even if it feels minor to you. distinquish players though, applauding youzy for building a ref seems unnecessary.
    • make use of the words "please" and "thanks"
    • be polite even when you insult someone - learn to insult subliminal without falling into passive agression.
    • give reasons with your orders. "if we can hold position x we will have a resource advantage later" or "im not gonna research compo because we wont get enough money and we will need it endgame". if your reasons are valid, they make you sound more competent.
    • address people with name, dont say "can someone build xy", ask a specific engi - someone means noone.
    • be vocal about everything you see and do. tell people what research you just started, what research just finished, how long it takes for this and that, that you rebase or hop out to build. tell them to wait for research to finish before they build tanks. the more they know about your status, the better their big picture, the better their choices.
    • learn to read the minimap. its a comms best friend, you should be able to tell whats going on somewhere just by looking at the map. also, relay the info, players dont look at the map so much, do it for them. the first step is, have noone ever ask you for a refinary.
    • remind people to be conservative with tanks.
    • remind people to stick together with tanks. 5 tanks in a group are very hard to stop, 5 tanks one after the other is just wasted res.
    • treat vets like the divas they are
    • grow a thick skin
    • give up feeling repsonsible for your team fucking it up, but also admit when it was you (to yourself at least)
    • repeat yourself over and over. always assume noone heard you the first time.
    • give orders multiple times if people dont react in an appropriate timeframe. if they still obviously dont care, mark them as useless in your head, ignore them and play with the rest - dont hold yourself up with arguments, theres always someone around where you can put your time to better use.
    • dont resort to a single tactic. try out things. its not as important since a lot of players are learning resistant anyway, or hobbes hobbesing wouldnt be working anymore (sidenote: if you see the enemy boomtanking, explain to players how to deal with it), yet being flexible certainly isnt a bad trait
    • in general - as long as you dont know 2/3rds of your team - assume noone knowing anything, explain everything unexcited and with a nice soft voice showing calmness and competence.
    • if you plan special strategies/tactics like fast vf, make sure you team knows AND agrees beforehand. nothing is more worthless then a early vf noone uses.
    • research is free now, depending on player counts (im talking low pop now) radar can be more important then forward raxes you only lose because noones gonna killspawn there anyway. single base layouts seem more popular with lower player counts. it makes sense i think since you wont lose as much res to rebuilding bases. rax, vf and repair station together cost as much as 2 meds or 1 decent heavy.
    • moral is important. if you fail to motivate your team and/or have a bunch on pussies on your side, once the general mindset is "we lost this", youve lost it. if your teams motivation and morale is high they can move mountains ... sometimes
    • having people respecting you as commander is mainly a matter of status - the higher your social status in the empires communtiy, the more people listen. infact what you asked for was "how to lead" - this actually is independent on being in the comm position or not. make yourself a name as someone willing and capable of leading. dont give up if its not working out instantly. the rest comes by itself. the technical aspect of comm is rather easy.
    (random order)

and some bonus things to consider as comm
    • always have at least one ml turret able to fire into the vehicle bay of the vf (need reason? no its obvious isnt it?)
    • dont forget placing some turrets behind your base. there usually are many spaces to park an apc without it being threatened, thats bad, bad, bad ...
    • block passages with armories - that doesnt mean you shouldnt place walls infront the armories - most buildings (except turrets and walls) take 30s to disappear when dead - make use of that.
    • drop armories everywhere, dont care if they die, they are just 75res - but worth a million.
    • put stuff in the direct path to your base, you dont want the enemy to approach at full speed and infantry will have cover to save themselfs from being run over - be careful to not hinder your own team more then the enemy though
    • large open areas are death zones for infantrists, place some wall pieces, for 25bucks nothing is wasted and if they start to help the enemy you can recycle them in 5s (leaving them in the open)
    • conceal your turret farm and space it out as much as possible. if you have them all very visible people will stop and take them out beforehand. if turrets are around a corner they often rush by and only notice them when its too late - dont expect to kill them, but forcing them to retreat is a semi-victory already. sometimes buying some time to breath is just what you need to regroup and counter attack.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  17. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

You are just mad because of the new finger nail polish that detects your rape drugs.

18. Empty

Empty Member

Back in 2.1 I think I was a decent commander and I have to say this is my main strategy.
    Say everything twice, say everything important three times, and if the CV is going to die, say the CV is going to die until someone tells you to stop or your team is responding.

I've saved several games just by constantly repeating a certain phrase into the mic like 'get HEMG apcs and rush get HEMG apcs and rush get HEMG apcs and rush get HEMG apcs and rush'

shit works.

19. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

The whole addressing people by name really works too. If they're newbies they often seem to be like "what? who? me? You need me to do something?" and then they try to do it. If they're vets...well generally I just tell them that their greater ability is needed to support an area, and unless they're being douchey or I've just been dumb and I'm interrupting a strategy of theirs, they'll see the need and reinforce that area.

20. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

yeah sorry i expanded the list a bit in the meanwhile ...

but honestly i think the most important and at the same time the hardest thing about playing comm is to not give a shit about your team fucking it up.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014