How to encourage players to play as gren.

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by -Mayama-, May 24, 2009.

1. communism

communism poof

Fact of the matter is, my tank is killed 9/10 by a riflemen. When I'm on foot, nine out of ten times im killed by a riflemen. Give riflemen the upper killing ability (how it used to be), give grens a chance to fight back (being it a lucky ass body shot, compared to the riflemans lucky ass headshot). Let grens be ABLE to kill tanks and actually be ABLE to kill riflemen...riflemen SHOULD kill infantry and MIGHT be able to kill tanks. Grens no fun when you CANT kill riflemen and when you CANT kill tanks.....fuck proofreading hate on mah grammar later

2. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

District. Grens own.

Mines. Grens own.

But active abilites against tanks? grens are slow to kill and usually only useful vs one tank when there is more than one gren. And the difference in power between one light tank with armor and one gren is too great, especially when that armor is no longer plain. Grens need a boost here of some sort.

3. Empty

Empty Member

PERCENTAGE OF TOTAL TANK HEALTH RPG FOR THE LOVE OF GOD
    [​IMG]

4. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

It should be percentage + fixed number, so better armor / a bigger tank still helps somewhat. The percentage will reduce the increase in power from larger tanks to a manageable amount rather than the "lose instantly" we have now, but it shouldn't erase the advantage completely.

(Say, just using totally random numbers, 50 dmg + 15% of the tank's health -- the percentage keeps you competitive against larger tanks and better armor, but the fact that the lump sum part is worth less and less avoids the situation where every tank requires the exact same number of gren hits to kill, which I think would be bad.)

5. Empty

Empty Member

I've suggested that as well, but nobody will fucking discuss it with me.

The moment I say "percentage" everyone goes deaf dumb and blind.

6. Demented

Demented Member

Then maybe you should stop saying it and try a new tactic.

7. Empty

Empty Member

*empty gets a can of spraypaint and finds an australian landmark*

8. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Herald this genius wisely gentlemen, it knows few bounds

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

THIS

</tread>

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

id prefer percentage of total tank health run trough a modifier for each armor, as to create some armors better against infantry rpg as others other then raw health (because other weapons use raw health aswel, so weapons usefull against armors with more HP become more powerful, dysbalancing the game even further :(

11. M.C. Squish-fist|3

M.C. Squish-fist|3 Member

if you want to know how much damage you do to a tank, get Detect Armor. The details stay on-screen long enough to give you that info. Grens are fine the way they are. It's up to the comm to research their adv and upgraded rpgs, which do ridiculous damage early in a round. I play engineer primarily, as a good engie can take out anything, but switch in the armory to gren (to take out tanks) or rifleman (to take out pesky distant infantry). The options are there. It's up to experienced players to inform the noobies what to do. Anyway, it's pretty useless to have a team of grens at the beginning of a round. The early part of a round is about gaining ground and building your base. Grens really have no part in this, but once a secondary base is set up, often people will change class to adjust to the situation.

12. flasche

thanks for elaborating on this. i bet 99% of the guys argueing in this thread where unaware of that ... :rolleyes:
    and maybe it makes you wonder - its mainly the "vets" that argue for a buff (either maneuverabilty/speed or damage) - at least none of them really argue against it. just trust them, armors got buffed for quite a few patches, and the inf vs tank part played waaay better before that. :cry:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  13. communism

communism poof

yeah....

14. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

give grenadier (maybe after research) like a 15-25% chance at point blank to 1hit kill a light tank. 1-15% at <50m and 0% >50m. and like 3-5% to 1hit kill heavy at point blank. 1-3% at <50m and 0% >50m. everyone loves to gamble right???. in real life, RPGs bounce off or doesnt do anything to battle tanks :S... well nvermind.. stickies probably still better haha. damn it just get rid of stickies all together from rifleman. give the sticky to grenadier!

also getting armor detect uses valuable skill point :S..

15. zenarion

zenarion Member

Sorry man, those arguments never work here. Believe me, i've tried.
    Actually worsening the chance of RPG doing damage is a bad thing.
    Making it about "chance" or "luck" is maybe a bad idea in an FPS game, less of a bad idea in a tabletop RPG.

16. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I love that suggestion! Now all we need is to change the scout rifle so it got a chance to instakill :)

And yes! Let's give the guy that's supposed to fight tanks at range with a rpg, close combat stickies :D
    Hurray!

*sorry*

17. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Ayup... I think its clear to everyone that the rpg needs to have increased travel speed and better tracking

18. flasche

actually no - i think scaleing dmg alone would counter the problem. are you tester? they changed that (speed and turn rate) already in one version and i gotta say i REALLY REALLY dislike the change. currently the RPG feels like i imagine a wire-based anti tank weapon, this thing could fly loopings and made circles around you hahaha

actually i think this is what devs should try out
    - scaleing damage dependend on chassis type (easiest i guess - most imaginative imo)
    - percentage of total health damage
    - percentage of total health + minor direct hull damage
    - the rest :p

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  19. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

I am a tester, but I haven't be able to get the SVN yet... working on it as we speak... so yeah...

As for the damage, I think the most popular ideas were either to scale or the percent + fixed damage. (eg: 5%+50 or something)

20. flasche

yes. its just im with the scaleing faction (as i find its easier to get into your head) - but the other thing prolly would work perfectly too.

oh and at the last playtest i was the RPG was disabled due to some bug. idk how it is now, i had stuff to do that weekend :\