How to encourage players to play as gren.

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by -Mayama-, May 24, 2009.

1. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I started to play grenadier cause their was always no one playing the class
    when its needed. It was to frustraiting to see everyone hiding behind a wall
    and waiting for someone else to destroy those lvl3 mgs or one apc that rushes
    into the base and kills the cv.
    The grenadier seems to be a unpopular class in general, yes their are some skilled
    grenadiers, but the majority plays engineer or rifleman.
    I just wanted to start a thread about how to make more people want to play that class.

2. Drag

Drag Member

Alternate disposable RPG with oodles of damage but can only be rearmed at armories. So if need be grens can defend bases with that one. And possibly overpower a tank's armor with some teamwork.

3. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I dont think more firepower would make the class attractive, back in 2.12
    where the gren was alot more powerfull, the numbers of players playing the
    class were the same. Also I think that stationary equipment is counterproductive
    for the grenadier cause he needs to be quick and always on the move or
    tanks kill him.

4. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Please fix the rpg turning :) .

5. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Thats stuff someone says that PLAYS GRENADIER,
    it wont encourage more players to play the class.

6. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

If it makes it easier for the players using the class, I thought it increased the "I wanna play this class again"?

Because, otherwise it's like you want people to use a wooden stick to fight a helicopter, but doesn't want to add a rocket launcher to the stick.

my "not using the right words" owns.

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I sometimes have to tell people to go gren to fight vehicles... I dunno what makes them not pick it. I think it is just that engineer is default class, so it's what they know...which is good, really. If they're newbies then they won't know the gren, and that's natural. We want them to learn engy first.

I don't really know what could make the grenadier class more attractive except gadgets, really. The gren is good atm, the only thing it lacks is the self-sufficiency of engineers, but I don't often see the engy's in the team running around by themselves.

8. Mashav

Mashav Member

Reduce seismic and explosive damage vs buildings? Reduce siesmic throw distance? Increase mowtar damage vs buildings? Increase reload speed of rpg and mortar? Increase Rpg speed and turning? More ammo for rpg? Free dev status as soon as you choose the class?

9. zenarion

zenarion Member

Yeah? That's what you think.
    I think it will make it more attractive.
    Who the hell wants to play a class that can't do it's job well? Imagine playing Engineer with the engi tool not working half the time, or your turrets having a 50% chance of being built incorrectly?
    That's how Grenadiers feel now. When I shoot a tank with an RPG, I want it to give me some feedback. Did I do damage? Did it hurt the tank? Or am I just wasting bandwidth?
    Clearly define the role of the grenadiers, and stick to it.
    Give them a choice between several different anti-armor weapons.
    A disposable RPG wouldn't hurt. Or a stronger, deployable mortar.
    Fix Pistol1, nobody uses it.

10. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Huhu as I posted in the thread that you quote their werent more grenadiers
    back in 2.12 were the gren was alot more powerfull against tanks...

Problem with deployable grenadier stuff is that if you want to fight tanks
    on foot, in empires, the game that we talk about, you will die bevor you can
    shot. The whole gren was always the class that has to move constantly and
    "dance" around tanks to survive when he fights against vehicles.
    The biggest advantage of the grenadier was always mobility cause tanks cant
    strave and jump.

11. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Huhu as I posted in the thread that you quote their werent more grenadiers
    back in 2.12 were the gren was alot more powerfull against tanks...

Problem with deployable grenadier stuff is that if you want to fight tanks
    on foot, in empires, the game that we talk about, you will die bevor you can
    shot. The gren was always the class that has to move constantly and
    "dance" around tanks to survive when he fights against vehicles.
    The biggest advantage of the grenadier was always mobility cause tanks cant
    strave and jump. Ask everyone that plays grenadier, you need to MOVE to
    fight tanks. MOVE =/ deploayable...

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  12. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

The main thing that puts people off is the mortar. It is a necessity for the gren, killing infantry is near impossible without it, but it is infuriatingly hard to use properly. I seriously don't understand how you VetGrens can jump out of a wall and judge the distance and height so perfectly. It's also quite similar to the rifleman in many ways, both can be quite lethal to tanks and infantry, but the rifleman is so much easier, at least on the face of it, because you point and click. Actually mastering the wierd ways of emp_accuracy is not easy, but it seems it when you start playing.

13. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

than make the mortar/gren noob friendly :)

14. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

i think its becuse some people can think fast and calculate the shells way.
    Like in GoW grenade aim, just invisible:p

also,what ikalx said

15. OuNin

OuNin Member

To attract players, the RPG needs to be more maneuverable. I'm skilled with leading the shot, but that's not enough sometimes. If it was like the HL2 RPG with more ammo than it currently has, it might be worth using.

Mortar is fine just the way it is.

16. Alceister

Alceister Member

Lets talk about their anti-vehicle capabilities.

The problem is this: any vehicle that is critically damaged, from a light tank to a heavy, simply drives away, driver pops out, and repairs the vehicle to go back into the field. An Engineer driver can effectively keep this up all day, and a Grenadier can't. He has much more limited ammunition, and it is near impossible to chase down enemy vehicles or for that matter trying to get in a last shot from range.

I think that all tanks should accelerate much more slowly. Escaping from a fight shouldn't be a spur of the moment thing, it should be planned. There is nothing more annoying to a Grenadier than watching a heavily damaged tank retreat to safety while you futilely try to chase it down.

17. ba'al

ba'al Member

Rockets should do heat damage.

18. Alceister

Alceister Member

Mmm.

I also suggested a rework of vehicle armour in the suggestions forum. It's now in the sticky.

19. Silk

Silk Mapper

Haha yeah, that's pretty much the only reason why i played grenadier as well.

Simply said the grenadiers just has not enough ammo to make it interesting for me to play. You can't go gren, spawn, and expect to be able to do something with it, unless you can be entirely sure there's an armory or apc close by. I suppose you could destroy an abandoned LT with the rpg ammo, and 2 or maybe 3 turrets, but after that you're out of ammo.

Now most vehicles i fight are not abandoned, and while the mortar can defend you against infantry you need quite a few shots to kill someone (for the average player) which means you might have killed 1 infantry guy if he missed you more than you missed him, you've destroyed no tanks at all, and all you have left are about 3 mortar shells and 2 mines, with the mines being a passive weapon.

If there is an armory close by the spawn, i'm still not tempted to go gren as it takes a long time to get enough ammo. If i press 'E' as grenadier it get 1 rpg. And yet another one, and another one, and after 4 times i maybe have enough to be able to kill a single lt, but it's fifty fifty on that one. Than you switch to mortar and the wait starts all over, untill finally you go get 3 extra mines as well. And then when you finally have full ammo you get killed by a vehicle as everyone else is hiding while you have no choice but to attack ^^

As a rifleman however with 4 clicks the rifle has full ammo and you have two stickies. 150 bullets can easily kill 8-12 people and with the stickies you have a fifty-fifty chance of killing an lt. If you're out of ammo it takes ... i don't actually know ... 1 second to get 60 bullets (30/keypress?) which is good enough to kill 4 people. The gren is just way too slow for me in a game like empires. It takes a lot of ammo which takes a lot of time to get, just to be a little bit effective, while there's 2 weapons that reload very slowly. In the meanwhile there's vehicles and rifleman shooting at you from all sides, running around, reloading in a second, with a lot more ammo than you.

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

give grenadier stealth? so he can ambush tanks and he c-

oh wait, mines + stealth + cv...