GUI Rework

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Ducky, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

Found it, it's a flag in the .vtf itself (no_LOD) which wasn't set in the some of the unmodified textures. Should work when I reconvert them with the proper flags...

2. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

GUI update r8

emp_gui_r8.zip (all needed files)
    • vehicle engine icons reworked to improve recognition
    • veh. armor icons based on the orig. set
    • misc: squadskill timer, skill-locks with the current upgrade-ranks (e1,e2,e4,e7),
    • weapon icons reconverted, should fix blurry icons on lower texture-settings

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I just got my SVN details reset, so I'll finally be getting that updated in the next day or 2. Apologies for the delay, but we're moving server and stuff, so I've been pretty busy with that. I'll finally get round to "reviewing" it all for you. I have a few other things I need to commit to SVN, like Empty's newer particles.

4. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

Sounds good. I think I'm done with getting all the major gui elements in an editable state, so further modifications should be relatively easy.

5. Trickster

Committed and looked through it. Very impressed. It's looking really good, and I love the way you split the Commander GUI up.

Few small things. Firstly, you might want to use the new Pistol 2 model for BE in the class GUI. Also, the BE Heavy tank skin wasn't updated in the later parts of the GUI, only that bit at the start, so a similar change is needed there.

The next bit is really optional, but if you want to make vehicle-weapon specific icons, as in an actual Bio ML Icon, actual HIT icon or whatever, rather than just a generic 2slot 3slot missile, then I'll update the scripts to use that. It's up to you really, but I'd be more than happy to update the scripts if you did. Overall though, looking good.

6. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

I see, the new heavy tank "3d-preview" image was done by Complete, while I still used the current (old) graphics for the gui view... I need an orthogonal view from the top and side for that. I'll see if I can get this done, but but with the separate models for chassis/turret it's probably easier if I ask the modeler. Who made the new heavy ?

I was hoping to get away without redoing the weapon icons, but you're right, it would be nice to recognize weapons by their distinct icon... I'll see what I can do about this.

7. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

Will these work?
    (click for large)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

Exactly what I need, thanks Mash !

9. Trickster

Oh, small thing. I'm not sure about other weapons, but there's a black chunk in the stock of the SMG 2 for BE in the class selection menu. You'll know what I mean when you see it.

10. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

I see what you mean, the stock is meant to have cutout holes, I also think the NF pistol's hammer is missing... Unfortunately there don't seem to exist any of the source weapon graphics, and masking from the shadowed background is tricky sometimes...

11. Trickster

Oh, and use the new Pistol 2 model for the GUI as well.

12. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

13. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

You might need these aswell
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

Thanks a lot Mash - you don't happen to have top/side views of the BE apc as well ? Because the there are no proper side and top views as well.

On a side note: When I tried to import the pistol, I noticed that the texture for the w-model is wrong (external view uses pistol1 only?), the v-model (for the hud, with arm) seems to be ok.

Edit: Just noticed, the APC's views are perspective - can you make orthographic screenshots ?
    Edit2: Pistol as well - but it's not noticeable I guess.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  15. Trickster

The Pistol 2 in SVN should be Mash's model. I haven't committed or looked at his APC yet, so don't use his images for that yet.

16. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

w-model for the pistol should be working, maybe it's not commited to the svn.
    I know i made one though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Ingame pictures, although more effort will be far better looking for the menus

18. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

Jephir committed it already.

19. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

GUI update r9

emp_gui_r9.7z
    • Icons for Mash's Pistol2 + Heavy, fixed: SMG2, APC Side/Top view
    • New weapon icons for all vehicle weapons :)
    • Modified script files to utilize apc and weapon icons - based on current svn r1181, Trickster, you need to merge these into your vehicle weapons script.

20. Trickster

Sweet. I'll make sure that gets done. I'm not sure if you did a full set or just hte ones required (i.e. every variant of arty including ones that don't exist like Bio Arty, Electrical Arty, etc), but if not, then I'll need a BioGL and a lightning bolt type thing for an electrical MG (which won't have bullets).

Awesome work so far though.