GUI Rework

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Ducky, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

I've spent some hours seeing what could be done to the empires gui, and I have now reached the point where I can batch-convert most of the gui and hud frames from some sliced photoshop templates (based on the classic gui graphics).

I didn't touch the hundreds of weapon, engine, ammo and vehicle textures, but it turned out that this isn't really needed with the testing gui, as it already has the icons with any classic blue in it (just all black transparency...).

I've attached a first test with that, extract this to your empires svn folder (replaces files only in the materials/vgui directory), so if you want to try: I've just applied some quick photoshop filters, and basically stuck with the classic shapes and a dark blue/black theme, but also very little transparency.

There's still some overlapping issues due to transparency, but could probably be fixed by pixel-shifting some values in the .res files...:headshot:

Update (emp_vgui_test2.zip):
    Gui changed based on feedback: Panel transparency remains, hud transparency is removed (and also causes visual issues with ammo display), headings have more subtle highlights.

I have doubled the resolution of the border graphics, that makes the borders much nicer (that's why there's also some new .res files in this release).
    Buttons are not rounded anymore (looked smudgy) but I'm not sure if I'm happy with them yet...
    Comm gui still needs to be done...

Update (emp_vgui_test3_comm.zip):
    Only new thing is the commander gui, it's a bit more transparent than the panels (maybe could be even more, since readability is not an issue here) and the version for widescreen-formats has now separated areas to get rid of the texture-overlapping.

Update (emp_gui_r6.zip):
    Changes to hud (ammo,health), weapon icons and most of the skill icons - they look a bit blurred, but I blame the weird class panel for now...

Update: emp_gui_r7b.zip
    Missing engineer and vehicle icons added,
    changes to hud, buttons, little things like scrollbars

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Screenshots please?

3. SwiftPoo

SwiftPoo Member

Very nice. I like this one better. The bullets in your ammo are more clear. You can see the box for dropping weapons and armor better. Fixes all the issues I have with the current test transparency hud. Looks nice as well and goes with the empires colors.

I know this does not have to do with it. But why are the vehicles images so blurry when you are in the vehicles menu?

4. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

You could have asked Trickster for the PSD sources and changed it that way. Taking a screenshot, modifying it and making it a VTF again seems like a good way to introduce compression noise :p Still, kudos for making the effort of improving the GUI :)

5. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Yeah, there were lots of rage in the testing about the GUI..

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I thought I'd already posted, but it turns out I hadn't.

I am impressed. Considerably.

But as Beerdude said, you should have asked for the PSDs.

7. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

Hm, I believe I've heard Trickster saying that the gui would need to be recreated in Photoshop for any changes, so I assumed there were no sources for the gui anymore...
    And of course I've not made this from screenshots but imported the .vtf textures of the gui tiles - even if arguing that dxt5 is a lossy compression format, it wouldn't matter, because the gui shapes are re-filled in ps (applying some color and fx filters) ;)

Wealthysoup: Are you using the svn version ? Then make your own screenshots :P I might prepare some screenies for the steam/.gcf testers later today, but I found that the effect of alpha on readability is hard to judge just by screenshots.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback so far.

8. Trickster

I meant that each section has to be edited individually. There are a lot of PSDs. A hell of a lot. If you need them, I can get them sent across. With a small amount of work, I'd much prefer your GUI.

People need to understand that I wasn't saying that the NESQUIKO GUI was flawless. It is just, in my opinion, better than the stock, matte blue one. If anyone comes up with something more practical, like Ducky has, then I'm all for using that instead. I just know that it's time for the stock blue skin to go.

9. Empty

Empty Member

I agree it's better but I veto it until it's as polished as the original.

You might like it but a new player is going to take one look at it and go "this shit is unpolished as fuck"

It needs to be tidied and cleaned.

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

OG > newshit.

But I approve of Ducky's effort and the result :)

11. Trickster

Ducky's is the best option.

Sorry Empty, only permanent members of the Empires Defence Council get veto powers.

12. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

I presume that next I should be testing this for you in the lots of free time that I don't have?

13. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

That would be nice, I still have the commander gui to do.

I don't know what you mean - I'm not saying that the design couldn't be improved, but give an example of where it is 'uncleaned' or 'untidied'. Name a reference gui.

How can I expect people in a testing forum to actually test things. No, but if you happen to play with it in the free time that you don't have then you may as well post an opinion. When you have free time again. 2 Weeks was it?

I'm glad to see that it's accepted as an inprovement over the 'pure' nesquiko gui, and I'll see if I can refine the design a bit...

However I'd like to have some opinions about whether transparency is really a "must have". Imo the gui - at least the popups - look better without...

14. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Dont understand how taking a few quick screenshots after spending so long doing something is hard but meh

15. D.D.D. Destroyer

My main issue with the new GUI is transparency. I'd get rid of it completely.

The second is low-res grenade images, as Trickster knows.

EDIT: By new I mean NESQUIKO's.

16. SwiftPoo

SwiftPoo Member

I think the transparency is sleek. One thing that is practical about it is buying a vehicle. How many times has your screen been covered by the vehicle menu, or the squad menu or what have you and your face has been pounded in? I am not sure why you would dislike transparency anyway. Seems stubborn.

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

Because I much prefer not seeing the surrounding. Also if you are stuck in the vehicle menu chances are you're screwed anyways so.

18. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

OP Updated with new gui release.

Yeah, that seems to be the only reason I've heard so far. But how often does it actually happen in a way where transparency could've saved your life ? People seem to spend much more time in the vehicle menu than I do - and I'm not even using much of the presets.

However, it's been agreed on to keep the panels transparent, but make the hud-bars opaque again, especially due to the readability of the ammo count display, and some transparency-related issues.

19. Trickster

Adding the new update to SVN.

20. complete_

complete_ lamer