GUI Rework

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Ducky, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Are those new screenshots for the vehicle menu? It'd be pretty cool to get new ones, but we need to make sure we catch the upper resolutions that people use. As far as I know, I'm the only one running a system at that end that's a tester, so I might have to take those screenshots.

As for the menu, I actually think the default one looks nicer than Shandy's, but none of them are overly indicative of Empires. I always felt we could make something more awesome looking if we really tried.

2. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl Member

One question that might sound a tad strange: Why do we have to use "parked" vehichles for the vf-menu and not ones actually performing their intended purpose?

3. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

would it be hard to change the sub-menus to a different background color?

[​IMG]

The "Accept" and "Cancel" buttons belong to the inactive window in the background and are not clickable when inside skill selection and they are not meant to.

Make a different border for the skill selection menu or change it's background color.

4. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

Hm, at a quick glance, it looks like it could be done through the .res files, using a different baseframe with different graphics...
    But I'm not sure if that will really solve the problem, because you will still see the buttons (+ close buttons) as if they could be used. I could give it a try after I'm done with the comm ui and some icon issues, but i think it would either look really awkward or is usesless when too subtle...

5. complete_

complete_ lamer

I don't know what you mean by a upper resolution, the pictures in the gui are all at a fixed resolution (and i have graphics running on max)
    I did it anyway so you can at least use it as a placeholder (the zip also contains a new eastborough minimap so if you can just replace it, that would be great)
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25190212/cl_materials.7z
    [​IMG]
    I just really don't like the font/color used on the empires logo, seems very amateur. Also the the blue scale obscures the textures which i think is a good thing.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  6. Trickster

Committed all of that. Sorry, I didn't realise the resolution was fixed. That shit is awesome then, thanks.

7. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

I don't get why I never noticed this "button-problem" in old blue-vgui. Maybe it is just because the alpha takes away some percetion of what is actually the top layer of the opened menus. In my mind a different outline for skill-selection menu would work wonders already, like a red borderline instead of the normal white one.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yeah it's the same problem I mentioned before, and i'm with wookie - that is, if it's easy enough to correct. If not, people will look to the x instead of the cancel/accepts, but you can bet your dollar that if it's something us vets will actually notice, it's probably worth fixing.

9. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

Comm GUI Issues

There are issues with the commander gui which require a decision:

As I have figured out, the comm gui textures are currently (in the test version) selected from .../comm/custom/ according to screen ratio (16:9, 16:10, 4:3, there's one huge texture for any of these).
    However, the scaling of these texture does not align with the controls under some resolutions - visible in the first screenshot which taken is at 1280x768.

The 'classic' mode, as in the current steam version, uses 2 sets of tiled fragments of the gui (normal and widescreen in .../ws/) - these align properly under different resolutions/ratios but have overlapping tiles which result in transparency problems (theres a non-transparent bar left of the center), and there's also a gap between right screen border and the gui..

Fortunately these two modes can be switched in clientscheme.res:
    I suggest we should go with the old mode: The icons/controls-alignment would have to be fixed in the code, while the 'classic' mode would work without extra coding (tough it has transparency glitches).

Attached Files:

10. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

OP Updated.

Commander gui has now separated frames for map/selections/commands.
    This eliminates the problem with the transparency from overlapping textures (those which connect the 3 frames)...

11. Trickster

Committed to SVN.

12. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

Subpanel Border

Some experiments with the subpanel borders (upgrade and weapon selection) :
    The border outline is straightened to cover the see-through effect around the borders, and I've tried a couple of outline colors... but it still looks like an ugly workaround.
    'd' would be a nice variant, but tiling-mode doesn't seem to work well and also messes up scaling/alignment somehow (center and middle-right border)...

Attached Files:

13. Trickster

Someone else is going to need to test/screenshot, I can't really put those on SVN.

14. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Had a quick look and I think the colour of the menus is too dark. E.G. look in armour selection screen of vehicle menu and you can barely see the outline of BE vehicles, if the GUI was a lighter colour there wouldnt be such a problem

15. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

I'm planning to give the vehicle icons an outline, that should help.

tst4_a_orange_smth.zip:
    a_orange_smth.jpg
    a_orange_smth2.jpg

tst4_b_yellow.zip:
    b_yellow.jpg
    b_yellow2.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  16. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

tst4_c_yellow_dbl.zip :
    c_yellow_dbl.jpg
    c_yellow_dbl2.jpg

tst4_d_caution_fail.zip :
    d_caution_fail.jpg
    d_caution_fail2.jpg

Blurryness due to jpg compression/size limit...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  17. Trickster

I think there are nicer ways that could be done. That's kind of ugly.

18. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

Absolutely. I'm pushing this back for now, maybe we should just keep the rectangular shape for the moment.
    Maybe I'll come up with a better idea while working on the icons (which have a similar problem as Wealthysoup mention for the Vehicles: BE Weapons are too dark against the background).

19. Trickster

Why not use the same as the previous pane? Make it a little brighter if necessary.

Did you look into the spacing between the class boxes yet?

20. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Is that text yours or did I miss it in game?
    I never heard of m.upg actually improving range, It was always a one meter range 100% acc bullet for me.
    And SMG1 is most definately NOT accurate on the move, unless you consider being able to hit a barn accuracy.