Grand Theft Auto 5

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BigTeef, Aug 15, 2013.

1. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

[​IMG]

source- http://www.pcgamer.com/game/grand-theft-auto-5/

Campaign
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-xHcvug3WI

Multiplayer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olEGtoYs_8A

The campaign looks very dynamic and different compared to what we are used too from Grand Theft Auto. They obviously put more time and development into the characters in this one compared to ones from before. Watching how the actors live their daily lives and react differently in their generated environments.

Multiplayer has received a facelift compared to the last installment, making everything more interactive. From what I saw in the trailer, it seems there is a structure to how it will play out, and given some random generated events that you will find familiar in APB along with character development.

There might be a story mode to it seeing as the campaign doesn't show any hint of co-op. So I am interested in to see how this will play out.

2. RetroFade

RetroFade Member

Yeah I gathered they are pretty much making it along the lines of APB.

And APB (whatever the incarnation that is currently F2P on steam etc.) has a good art style, but the gameplay is shit and unbalanced like fuck.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I don't quite follow what you mean with regard to story mode versus campaign. Aren't they the same thing?

But yeah, GTA IV blew gigantic wads, GTA V looks really impressive. But unlike the last few GTAs, I'm going to man up and do without it until they bring out a PC version. Every time they say "oh we might", and then they do later. At least if it's on PC, I might actually play it, rather than buy it and let it gather dust.

4. BigTeef

A story mode is a linear setting to give an excuse for something to happen.
    While a campaign is more free, robust, and has branching trees to things.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

That's ridiculous. Campaigns, story, whatever, aren't defined as whether being linear or open. Campaign just means the singleplayer/coop game and nothing else. This has been set in stone since the beginning of story driven video games(notably examples like Warcraft and Starcraft).

God damn those production companies love their buzzwords.

6. BigTeef

If you have ever played blood bowl, dawn of war 40,000k and the difference between that and dark crusade and soul storm, Rise of Nations, Star wars Empire at war.
    You would notice story and campaigns were completely different entitles.

In Rise of nations, story consisted of a bunch of preset ones based in eras of the world.
    You had to meet objectives and you would win.
    The campaign was making you start from scratch and you choose your own path, with no time limit.

Empires at war, one was this giant galactic map and the other was a linear set of missions with dialogue.

Original 40k and Dark Crusade, the first one was 20 missions while dark crusade was overview map and select events happened if you triggered them.

Bowl Bowl is the best example because story mode is about a free to hire coach who bounces between teams, and campaign is about creating a team and taking them to the world cup.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  7. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I don't really even care about GTAV, I just feel the need to compliment Teef's post. I don't even have to google for videos. Good fucking show, brother.

8. BigTeef

I didn't really do anything, rockstar just makes good trailers when they want to show off the game.

9. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I'm looking forward to this game alot, if they manage to combine the best bits of red dead, la noire and san Andreas - which was my favourite gta since the GTA 1 then I think it'll be a proper step forward for the franchise.

The detail Rockstar bring to games pretty much sets the bar with creating a caricatured world. The music and station DJs, the vehicle models, the stories and the voice acting all fit together really well. I wasn't a huge fan of GTAIV. It didn't feel pop culture enough for me.

I hope the side missions are a bit harder though, they always seemed really monotonous and I never bothered doing them.

10. complete_

complete_ lamer

gta is like the only game i would pay $60 for

11. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

Prepare for a wall of butt hurt

Commencing thread necro. The game was released today and I bought it for ps3. I played for an hour and then turned it off. So here is my initial experience with it.

The game starts 9 years in the past, in the middle of a bank robbery. You play as Michael and Trevor and fight your way through a bunch of cops in their version of Alaska. So before you get outside, there is scripted sequenced where you have to take cover behind a box while one of you companions blows open a steel door. So I thought, hmm I'll just crouch behind a box, that should do the trick. NOPE. Then came the shocking discovery that... yes.. you CANNOT crouch in GTA 5. At all. INSTEAD, they made it into "stealth mode" where you just kinda slouch downward slightly, leaving yourself completely exposed. You also cannot use it in combat which mean you are FORCED to use the cover system ALL THE TIME. In GTA 4, I mostly used the cover button to perform cool little animations to slide or somersault into to cover, then would just toggle crouch to pop out and shoot fuckers. You cannot do this anymore, and have to the cover system which always got me killed using it in GTA 4 multiplayer. You also take a lot more damage from bullets now, which would not be an issue if I simply COULD FUCKING CROUCH STILL. Another thing, driving devolved back to GTA 3 era handling. Remember how cars had weight to them in GTA 4 and actually took a bit of skill to drive? Not anymore, we are back to hover boats. Moving on, when I finally got to the free roaming stage of the game, I tried to stir up some shit with the 5-oh. Losing cops is easier than ever now. Just drive into and ally, or an indoor garage, wait 10 seconds, and BAM, you a free of countless murder charges. Also the character, as I expected are pretty generic and uninteresting. You got you BRAP BRAP GANSTA OG 420 Franklin who is CJ 2.0, you Trevor, your super HIGH-LARIOUS whacky crazy dude. The only one that I kinda like is Michael, but even he is just a copy of Tommy Vercetti from Vice City (minus Ray Liotta's voice).

TLDR:

-goodbye crouching, hello... stealth mode???
    -vehicle handling does not have the depth of GTA4, back to hover boats
    -cops are don't bother looking in ally ways and will not go after you into parking buildings
    -prepare to here YO YO GANSTA NI**A NI**A NI**A SHIIII when playing as Franklin
    -I will miss GTA 4 :(

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Still waiting for my delivery. Wish I'd just gone to the local supermarket to get it. Anyway, GTA IV was shit. The cars handled like shit. The cover system was pretty nice though, so I'm a bit disappointed if that's gone.

13. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

There is still cover system.
    I played about an hour or two. Looks pretty.
    I'm a big fan of the franchise, so far I've enjoyed it - initial feeling is that the characters kinda lack the larger than life caricatures that made me love San Andreas so much - but its early days. I'm liking one of the lead playable characters a lot though. I wouldn't say I've been disappointed, I'm really looking forward to rewiknding my life 10 years and ploughing through it this weekend (laying around in my pants, eating pizza, getting stoned and staying up for 48 hours)

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

You can buy videogames at the supermarket in britain?

15. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

You can't buy video games at the supermarket in Canada?

16. BigTeef

Does this still happen?
    [​IMG]

17. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

Wouldn't know, haven't played long enough to explore the wild. Still trying to get over the game mechanic downgrades they "implemented" from the previous game. Also RDR was god-tier game and I am sad they never made a PC version.

18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh no you can't. Unless you are referring to the five dolla bin games.

related:
    [​IMG]

19. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Where can i sign up?

20. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

I do like how they changed up the aiming system in GTA V. Now it plays more like a traditional third person shooter rather the usual press two buttons to fire method. My only gripe so far is that these two songs are on the Pop music station, however it's pretty nice that you actually see the name of the song playing now. Also tennis mini game is actually pretty fun I spent a good hour playing it.

I loved knife fighting pumas in Red Dead Redemption! Most of the wildlife I encountered in GTA V seems to run away. Granted I usually tend to be in a vehicle or exiting one when I spot wildlife.