General WIP Models

Discussion in 'Art' started by f1r3w4rr10r, Mar 17, 2014.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

yes another question, how much of a map could be modeled? could we use as many props as in modern engnies, or rather, where are the limits? i mean in today you model pillars, walls, floors and stuff and just align them rather then creating them in the mapping tool (which is more like composing a scene rather then working with geometry).

well ok scaling doesnt work with props so thats a big let down at least ...

anyways, lets take silks map. could all the buildings in the base, the wall and the bunkers be props aswell? and if whats the pros to do it in hammer?

edit:
    and because its a wip model and not a flasche askes stupid questions thread a first try on the new base of the turret.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

I don't really see a problem with having the whole base rotating, it will be seen from a distance anyhow right? So you would only need 1 model for it.

3. Silk

Silk Mapper

I have no answers to this, but I do have more questions. In the source engine, models and lighting don't go together all that well. You need lots of extra parameters to avoid models being completely lit or unlit, to cast decent shadows, etc etc

Ambient light from lightrays bouncing around is the most important aspect to realistic lighting, and I doubt if light even bounces off of models in the source engine.

If all of this is possible, I'm curious as to what parameters would be required, and how the models and their materials would have to be made for it to work.

4. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I will look into that. I am planning to go through all of the .qc commands. Maybe I'll find something useful.

Also flasche: It looks pretty nice. Just the whole lot of detail on it made me think at first it's an NF landing pad or something. ^^

5. flasche

yes im not happy with the doors either - ill try something like the minuteman silo exit where a huge concrete block slides back next.

6. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Well I don't really know how you planned to open those. It could work if they open like an aperture. But if they just flap open, that won't look good.

I'd either do it like this, with two halves of a hatch.

Or like this, with the hatch armor fixed to the top of the turret somehow.

7. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Alright, got some stuff done today. At first I wanted to just work on the original model of the jeep. But then I decided it's easier to redo it from scratch. This is pretty close to the original model, but with improved topology. I plan on adding a lot of detail to it, so I can render out the textures. I will probably also add stuff like cloth rolls or some bags and tools somewhere. I also removed the roll bars and added some doors. Tell me what you think of the general shape so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Looks nice to me, I definitely see some resemblance to the original.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yeah the spirit is definitely there.

One thing you might randomly want to think about is putting some kind of fun reinforced front bumper or scoop, since you tend to run people over with these things all the time anyway :p

I'm glad you're back btw, firewarrior.

10. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Heh, thanks. ^^ And I agree, it still does look a little flat and could use something to break it up a little bit. I might go with armor plates or a bumper. I feel bolts and stuff like that is more NF's thing. I am also not 100% sure what to do with the panels in the back.
    Is it a rear spoiler? Is it just something to put equipment on? Is it a solar panel?

11. flasche

what bugs me a bit is that there barely is space to put an engine which lets you shove around 40 tonnes ^^
    anyways, joking aside, id keep the back area as is, the things you put on there doesnt have to resemble any real world application as long as the shapes are interesting enough - just look at the texture and do similar stripes (i think theres something striped on thsi back thing).

12. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I was actually thinking of the hexagonal surface I already made for that BE crate. Somehow I want to see more hexagons on BE stuff...
    So wanted to put that on there and most likely strap some rolled up tarps and some tools up on that. It would fit perfectly.
    And I imagine the engine(s) are housed in those blocks above the axles.

Oh and I need to poke beerdude again, if we were planning on maybe adding a weapon mount somewhere on the jeep, so I can plan ahead.

13. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Alright, so today I had a talk with Beerdude, if the jeeps should get weapons and how we would implement weapon attachments in general with even multiple weapons in one slot. Not going into detail here, it was quite lengthy and might make people's head hurt. (Totally not using that as an excuse why I didn't get more done...)

Anyway, on to the next things I did to the jeep:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes, I am aware of the front wheel poking through the chassis. I will probably make the front wheels thinner than the rear ones.

14. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Thats ok.. current wheels on IMP jeep poke through chassis on turns as well. Also... those tires... they look like simi-truck tires on a jeep. A bit to wide.

15. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Yeah well, it's the original size. ^^
    I also did some further stuff to it today:
    -made the tires in the front thinner
    [​IMG]

-preview of the armor plates
    [​IMG]

-finished the detail on the spoiler surface
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ACK! Totally forgot to show the grill I added. Also have some more armor plates
    [​IMG]

16. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Does it have to be righthand Steering? :)

The bumper looks a little too cute to me.
    How about something that stretches more out, like the bumper on a Toyota 4Runner

17. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Hmm I could make it bigger, but I don't want to change the silhouette too much. We'll see. Next thing is equipment.

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I like! Would be awesome if the bumper was also coded as the point where you could really run over people with. So it'd be targeted insta-gibs :p

19. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I'll talk to some people and see if we can implement that.

20. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

I'm just wondering here, wouldn't it be better for you to replace the details on the tires and the back with textures and bumpmapping?

I don't know how much additional vertices affect performance, but just a thought.