General WIP Models

Discussion in 'Art' started by f1r3w4rr10r, Mar 17, 2014.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

no rax should be inaccessible for enemies - its no absolute rule, but a general consensus in games is that at least one spawn point is inaccessible by enemies. and its not like this is a fad from yesterady ...
    if rax dont go down anymore you still can reduce their health, if nadespam kills it too fast then - which is kinda predictable - rather do something about nadespam.

now what about the sneaky rax? wouldnt it be imba? yes, indeed that might be a problem, but sneaky shouldnt be happen that easy, you shouldnt be able to drive vehicles pass enemy lines because they can just take the damage.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Except that Empires has two win conditions. One is the destruction of the CV, the other is if every player is dead and there are no spawns, I believe.

3. flasche

i dont see the contradiction?

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It was to your first point. If it's inaccessible, then it can't be cleared out, ensuring infantry survival. Though if you reduce the health and such...well there are problems with that. I mean, do you balance it around 3 engies keeping it up or 5? or 8?

Though actually I'd like to see this as an upgrade. Maybe something that costs a lot but that would be present on the first rax you place, making it more bunker-like or with just a force-field over it. I think it'd have to have an additional model though.

5. flasche

well thats what i meant, if you can outrepair the enemy, then either health, repairing or too little damage are the issues. ofc it would be dumb - and not very fun for those having to do it - if a bunch of engis can keep a rax up forever.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  6. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Well the whole thing in Planetside 2 works because the objective to take/defend the base is outside of the spawn location. And as long as we don't add some mean to instantly destroy the barracks from the outside, we can't really use that. I rather like the ideas of slowing enemies down in rax, Lvl1 turrets in rax or even just not allowing mines to be laid in them.

7. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

I'll take a look today and see what I can do about the existing layout. I'm only going to move props and stuff around though. As you can see in this screenshot the collision mesh doesn't even match what's in the rax.
    Also RappemongO's shotgun models are done. I've re-enabled them for the scout class and commit to the svn. The only issue there should be with them is that the muzzleflash it uses is a pistol muzzleflash not a shotgun. Oh and balance issues, I only did some basic testing on that.

8. Smithy

I know I'm double posting but here's an update picture. These changes have been added and will hopefully be in the next patch.
    [​IMG]

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Thanks Smithy, you rock man. That should help a lot :)

10. YouzY

YouzY Member

I still wonder if it's possible to block the spawnpoint even with the added width

11. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

That's highly likely, since the actual spawn location probably hasn't changed.

Also I just had an idea: How about we design the rax in a way that you could shoot into them, but not be able to actually get in there. So you could kill repairing engies, but not spawn camp with mines and melee.

12. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Then you can spawncamp with tanks and mortars. No.

13. Smithy

Oh I forgot to mention, I have changed the spawnpoints and candles has updated some code that will hopefully prevent spawn blocking. It shouldn't be as much of a problem in the next version.

14. Silk

Silk Mapper

What the hell is going on, progress is going so smoothly these days. Even the smallest of changes was considered way too much work just a few years ago and now this ...

I like it though

15. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

Blame the economy... no one has a real job anymore. :D

16. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I blame Obama. Everything thats happened since he took office can be linked to him.

17. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

18. flasche

the handle could do with some more nice, rest looks good.

also, if it was mine, i probably wouldnt want the holes close to the top or you take away weight you need to hit harder, straight blades rely on that. if you want a sword that cuts the blade needs to be curved.
    but thats probably only because i have some experience with iaido and kendo.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  19. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

20. flasche

no, dare you touch them ... they look cool.

and as for powered swords, even though i dont really think it makes any sense at all (what would you power?), such things are well represented in scifi and dont break suspense of disbelieve.
    also it justifies more detail, so yeah, powered swords are awesome ^^

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014