Gameplay No Maps, Worlds :)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by SGT. MIKE, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

for this kind of map, you would idealy want multiple SMALLER bases, and many smaller mission type things on the map to attack or defend, such as;
    -giant artilliary platform
    -requires power also (powerplant, there could be two on the map)
    -train station for quick movement around landscape
    -airport?

2. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I love the idea of massive games, I wrote about it here (it's most of the way down the page).

3. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I'm tempted to make some nice pictures for a huge Natural Selectionesque map.

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

its as easy as making patato mash (but with up to 10 kilo to mash with a hand masher... it will take time!)

i never stated there shoud be played in different "states" at the same time in 1 server?

if "state" X is conquered, and commander Y wants to invade "state" Z

then the whole server migrates to "state" Z, as in new map loading

then the fight will be raging in "state" Z, and state X is not supported any longer by the server,

and btw, all of you really need to stop talking about things you dont know shit about
    if you dont know anything about coding (sorry, but it is true) dont post somthing like "that is not possible"

if you know anything about it, you shoud arguement why it is not possible...
    if you do not... then say somthin like "but is this possible?"
    but dont go claiming somthing when your shooting in the dark!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  5. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

It's completely possible, and could well be alot of fun. My main issue with it is the timescale.

6. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Wow, what a LOT of you are describing is the gameplay in Star Wars: Empire at War if I believe.

In the single player campaign, there is of course the Empire and the rebels (empire FTW!). The Empire builds their army and makes decisions on a star-map of several planets and systems in Real-time, at the same time the computer is.

Next, a team can decide to attack a planet's outer defenses (like a space fleet or space station). When choosing to attack, the other side must engage in battle (you can either skip the battle with the game choosing who would win base on size of fleet, power, etc. or actually play).

Then, you move onto the ground of the planet and can call in planetary bombardments from your fleet above. After taking that planet, it's tradelines open up to your closest planet, send in it's money (which you can upgrade), and you can now conquer the planet nearest it (if possible).

This could be a new way to put more RTS into Empires, with the same star-map system being used for the territory map. Each territory brings in a kind of global res, which is used to get upgrades like "Vehicle Drop" where you can call in a vehicle in-game unmanned at a certain spot. Think of Command and Conquer: Generals Zero Hour, with those kind of upgrades you can buy.

I love my RTS. :D

7. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

That sounds a lot like Star wars Battlefront 2, and who's to stop them from doing it again in Empire at war? I haven't played the game so I don't know. I think Rise of Nations did something similar to this as well.

If you read the link I posted up top, does anyone know how to make that irc-esqu communications system?

8. Qwerty

Qwerty Member

Don't type in caps, it makes you look like an 8 year old.

I'm sure it might be possible to implement something that would load next parts of the map without access to the Source engine source code, but would probably require a ridiculous amount of time to implement it. Is it worth doing it? Do you know how long it takes to load even one map?! O_O It'd take too long. The way I have it imagined in my head is like those ultimately large BF2 maps compared to Halflife2's maximum map size.

The BSP engine isn't quite capable of being able to handle/perform such things. Valve really needs to scrap it and bring up something better than the BSP (in my opinion).

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i belive i stole it from dune 2, just as all those other games, dune 2 was the first pc game to do this

10. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

What mod supported multiple levels at once? It's a limitation defined in the engine.

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

only the noobs suggested the multiple-maps-at-the-same-time-on one-server-thing

i was suggesting a dynamic map rotation,

12. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I know for a fact that there was a mod for Source that aimed to make a MMOFPS, and that they had a multiple-maps-on-different-servers-that-linked-together,-not-seamlessly-or-anything,-but-set-up-as-different-zones system working. Can't remember the name for the life of me.

...I don't think anybody has ever used commas in a series of words connected with dashes before. :p

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

you must be in the gunnes world record book, and yes i allso herd of it

14. SGT. MIKE

SGT. MIKE <blink>BANNED</blink>

well all these smart people posting in the thread really shut lock 'n load up :) ive been gone for awhile but yeah,,, i love the sea of pain lol what do u mean by being on two servers at the same time? with two different maps??

EDIT:Blizard F'ing awesome idea about the invvade lands new maps thing thats 10 times better then what i suggusted and sounds more like a step ahead rather then a step behind. how long would the games be? o would this be like a collage od the existing maps, i think it should be all new

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  15. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Mikey, don't tell people to shut up. Especially Lock 'N Load. He'll bite your head off, he will.

I agree that a dynamic map change system like that would be pretty damn cool. The only problem I see is that no one (sane) person is going to play long enough to see it all the way through. That could be kinda frustrating. :p

I was a bit concerned about the original idea being transformed into the dynamic-map changing thing, but hey! Mikey likes it!

16. SGT. MIKE

17. GIGAR

GIGAR Member

Just a question;
    Don't you think that a clan game would become goddamn boring after some hours?
    In theese maps you can have games to up to 2 hours... Or whatever.

The player amount should also be increased - You had to be AT LEAST 20 members of a clan, if you would play those maps.

But I think the main problem would be the playing time.

18. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

okay, this sounds like a bit of a nubbish thing to do but honestly, i DON'T think ANYONE read my previous post:

-------------------------
    listen, this is going to sound a bit weird to some of you, but we already _have_ HUGE maps.

take duststorm! a gigantic map! you may not realise it but it is spectacularly big. it's just not very full.

don't get me wrong, duststorm is a brilliant map: one of my favorites. but imagine if you had a map that size that was a city, like District, or even just PART of it was a city. think about it.
    ------------------------------------------------

this could still be huge! gigantic! it could have multiple fronts and does not yet require us to waste time looking for new technology

19. jambo

jambo Member

it'll be cool if it was possible to get a massive map ( bigger than emp_duststorm )

but are we talking about two different ideas here:
    having one "map" that is made up of several maps that load up depending on what area your in.
    and
    having a strategy overview on what map to attack next
    or
    what would be even better is if its BOTH !

20. SGT. MIKE

i personally like blizzards idea where when u win the state it loads another state to play in untill the whole country is taken or a team votes to surrender or something...

EDIT: But its upto krenzo and empires is his baby, i dont think he wants to change it so drastically

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006