Gameplay No Maps, Worlds :)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by SGT. MIKE, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Lock N' Load

Lock N' Load Member

Might I request that Rct. MIKE be banned from starting new topics in the Suggestion thread?

But this is just mapping request for larger maps that would probably lag the crap out of half the computer that the people that play this game use.

2. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

I don't think that having a multiple-map level works online on the sorce engine.

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

listen, this is going to sound a bit weird to some of you, but we already _have_ HUGE maps.

take duststorm! a gigantic map! you may not realise it but it is spectacularly big. it's just not very full.

don't get me wrong, duststorm is a brilliant map: one of my favorites. but imagine if you had a map that size that was a city, like District, or even just PART of it was a city. think about it.

4. SGT. MIKE

SGT. MIKE <blink>BANNED</blink>

well half of this should have been in mapping but it got started off my origional idea to have 200 player limit and have like day long games also to make the maps change so much like from forrest to lake to clifs to river beds to citys all the time different ideas you know also too see if u can make a map match up and load a certain part of the map once u cross a certain line like grAND THEFT AUTO OR HALF LIFE 2 DAMB caps

5. Carrigage

Carrigage Member

There already is such a mod for HL2...

So it does work, its just a matter of figuring out how to do it

6. SGT. MIKE

SGT. MIKE <blink>BANNED</blink>

well it would help the lag issue a bit but it may be anooying if you have a fission react engion with scout speed upgrade ina little jeep becuase u'd have to load a bit all the time...

7. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Or, you could just wait until the scaling feature gets implemented, and then you can make bigger maps anyway.

8. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Yeah, Mikey, I think that scaling would be your best bet here. You wouldn't need to have multiple maps, because you would have enough space in one alone. Unfortunately, though, the Source engine is not capable of having two-hundred people in one server in its current state. I think the best you can do is one-hundred twenty-eight, and even then it would be beyond unplayable in Empires. I could certainly see a higher than normal player count, though, with enough work and a powerful enough server. If bots were implemented, it could certainly increase the quality of gameplay on such a large map, and if the target game length would be hours.

Keep being creative, Mikey. Try to make a rough sketch of the layout of the entire land (detail is not important here, the basic land formation just has to be decipherable - the type of area, such as forest, deserts, and oceans, as well as major roads and paths).

9. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

255 players is the limit for source if I remember correctly.

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

maybe in stead of "maps" make missions,

like normal maps, only they chain together

at map start you get a world map, like a game board showing half "states" in hands of nf and the other in hands of BE

if empire wins, then the emp commander can pick where to invade next,
    and on game start the "state" where the last fight took place, is colored blue (from be)

i woud suggest a map with

up to 14 states
    some states have more neghtbouring states then others

example: [​IMG]

accourding to wat "state" is invaded, diffrerent maps will be loaded, one map for each state, representing the type of terrain that is on the state

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  11. Carrigage

Carrigage Member

Awesome idea! Gives a'lil C&C feeling to it, yet not.

12. SniperJP02

SniperJP02 Member

Ocean of Pain lol. I like the state/territory idea it has been used in many games before especially strategy games. Maybe even make a config file in which you can create custom campaigns for your server by setting which terriories are NF/BE/Neutral and even customized income rate, starting cash, starting tech, research speed for each side to make unique strategy and tactics for each time you play.

13. GIGAR

GIGAR Member

Uhm, not possible...

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

lol, it has been done befor hehehe

i know the source engine quite well, even if i say so myself

i know it is possible, source is even made ready for this,

15. Fray

Fray Member

easy! Entities->map changes

16. GIGAR

GIGAR Member

I don't belive that you can have a multiplayergame, with 2 maps.
    You can change map on the server, a automap change, but you can't run 2 maps on the same time, one 1 server.

Plus, it would make some pretty darn ugly loading times... Fall back!!!
    *Loading*
    Oh, dammit, our base has just been destroyed, oh great :P

It is NOT possible.
    Plus, you'll problely have to invest in some WoW servers to make it run smoothly...

Ask VALVe if it's possible...

But if we just look over the head with it's impossible, it could be damn cool :D

By the way, I would really *love* to see an example of that, Blizzerd.

17. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Don't abuse the text sizes. They're a privilege, not a right. :D

You're right, GIGAR, you can't run two maps on the same server. But that's not what we're proposing here. The idea is to have multiple servers, one hosting each section of the map. This is entirely possible, and a mod team has pulled it off (can't remember the name of the mod, though). The player load would be distributed among the different servers, and some sort of new caching system would be implemented to minimize map loading time.

18. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Technically. It actually only works up to 128 players.

19. GIGAR

GIGAR Member

Hm.
    Okay then. I belive you. (year right :P)
    But there really had to be some kickass new loading system, because I don't wanna wait 3-5 minuts just because I have to cross a map (Walking not included)

20. Carrigage

Carrigage Member

Or they could add a .GIF animation of a Soldier running, that way you can imagine running to the other map... :P

I dunno how it works, but there is a mod that uses several maps to make the gameworld larger, thus, you have to walk through 2 maps (Like HL;HL2) to get to the other team's spawn location.

A HL2 Mod