Frontline Training

Discussion in 'Clans' started by Trid3nt, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Simon

Simon Banned

Right now the newbs scare away all the experienced players! Not the other away around. Nothing ruins the game like having half your team wandering around as scout then dieing to engineers asking how to get ammoz. Of course when they lose it is always the comms fault for not listening to them and getting heavy tanks or something equally too expensive or useless. Not like the 1-10 kill ratio, not going to wps or generally most of the team not knowing the basics of the game had anything to do with it. I don't mind awnsering questions about the game that are more subtle, but I have no sympathy for people who don't read the manual and don't know even know the basics of the game and expect me to teach them. Fuck that, they ruin my games and fun. Telling people to read the manual is the most important thing. Ever. For everyone. It saves them alot of flaming and me alot of typing. And RTFM is pretty universal....... RTM <---- not

2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

this is true,, and ppl join games just to ruin them now a days

3. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

It will always be like this :p

especialy with the mod awards; expect alot more nubs...

4. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

mabey when you install it should be an option for "read the manual" as opossed to "read the readme"

i just cant wait till the training map is finished.

5. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

there should be a speech function that says read the fucking manual whenever a noob does somthing stupid (ie climb into the comm with the name emp_recruit)

6. Dafleck

Dafleck Member

How about giving the option of 'help' bubbles like implemented in GMod 10. They're quite effective.

Some examples of text could be (taken straight out of beerdude's manual):
    "There are four main classes in Empires, each of which is suited well for its role."
    "The Scout travels light, relying on stealth and observation to complete his mission."
    "The Grenadier is outfitted to fight those pesky vehicles, and may have a few tricks up his sleeve."
    "Riflemen excel in skirmishes, handling enemy infantry with ease."
    "Master of mechanics and medicine, the engineer is an essential member of any team."

Anything like this would only help the new players to learn ingame 'things' quicker, and hopefully get them to be a useful member of a team.

Any thoughts?

7. eth0

eth0 Member

I vote that the all emp_recruits be fitted with a cortex bomb (ala Dystopia) and if they deviated 100m away from there commander's or squad leader's assigned task point... BOOM and if they enter the CV itself... BOOM and if they make a Jeep... BOOM and if they ask "how to get ammoz?"... BOOM or a question without verbs... BOOM... or drive that CV with a mile of any watery body/cliff-like structure... BOOM...... in fact can't we just replace emp_recruits with counter-strike bots as most nubs seem to think that Empires = CS w/vehilces?

8. eth0

eth0 Member

Get my vote, although i find that (nubs especially) don't tend to read the stuff at HUD level, i.e. chat, there health, or "Please select a new spawn point".

What i though work well was the "lost coast" style bubble where a (short) dialogue and closed caption could be said about the item/player.

What i'd propose is that:
    1) *by default* the help is turned on until the player figures out how to turn it off.
    2) The help is done in the context of the environment close around you. So you could have large neon signs on stuff like the Barracks, VF, armoury that only "helplings" could see.
    3) Same idea for player classes with the sign.
    4) Make joining a squad easier, ow and while i'm here steal the BF action menu popup thing (the thing with "spotted" in the middle). I see that current menu is "logical" but ideally you could make an alternative one (in addition) that's just got the essentials: "Join my Squad" "I need ammo" "I need a medic". In fact a user configurable menu would be cool.

Oh and back to Dafleck's suggestions: Again a context thing, How about if your a nub grenader with all toughs mine that that never use wall near a building for vehicle, then a popup would prompt you "Placing mines in or around a building/vehicle is teh win".

9. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Good idea, make it force 3 million manuals to pop up, and you can only close them all if you read the whole thing and find all the keywords to close it, or have the patience to close 3 million windows.

10. Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz)

Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz) Member

Neather did I but I had one thing 85% of all noobs lag, common curticy.
    I didn't do anything big and I listened to the players in the game.

11. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i read the manual after i knew what i was doing, but as cyber said, i just hung out and listened to people who knew what they were doing.

besides, it was 1.01 and everyone was a noob.

12. Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz)

Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz) Member

I joined at 1.7
    I think it is funny how far I got, considering I joined at 1.7
    Yea, not everyone in 1.7 was noobs.

13. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I read the manual while downloading empiresmod, I always do that with games that have their manual online.

14. arklansman

arklansman Member

Me too. :)

15. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Before I play any new game, I read over the controlls, and scim over the manual; then once in game I listen and politley ask for tips/help, once that is done and I know the game in and out I help the nubs, since I was helped when I was "Younger"

16. arklansman

arklansman Member

I always change my controls anyway.
    I use q and e to strafe. :)

17. KILLX

KILLX Banned

18. supaste

supaste Member

my rule is.

If all else fails, read the manual.