Frontline Training

Discussion in 'Clans' started by Trid3nt, Sep 17, 2006.

1. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

2. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

This guide (if eth0/beerdude agree) should be copied to empiresmod.com (without notes about clan) and made default MOTD of empires 1.08 servers.

We should make a quickstart guide for Empires just like in NS (1 page with most important hints). It would be shown just after installing Empires (if it's possible to customize installer).

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  3. eth0

eth0 Member

I'm liking this idea of very concise tips yet tips to quickly raise the effectiveness of emp_recuits (and all players for that matter!)

BSID's solution of providing in-game help, while in development, was internally refered to as a "cheat-sheet" which then became the "Battlefield Primer" and was intented to server two purposes: one to school noobs quickly so they could pick a class an enjoy it by learning it's strenghts/weaknesses and two for more experienced plays that say have that lapse in memory and need to quickly find out what the research route to HE cannons are, for example.

MOOtant: developing a default MoTD to include the in-game help too may be tricky (lots of laggy scrolling), especially as most server like to replace their MoTD with a custom one.

What would be good, however, to do as you suggest and have the 'help' content (designed for the "MoTD" window) centralised on the empiremod.com site but allow servers to link to it. e.g The servers can still display their custom MoTD's but we can add a link to the "offical" help, much like mr_quackums's idea.

This would also mean that people that have mani_admin mod trigger word like "help" can link directly to the official help too.

Cheers

4. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

What would also be great, is if ingame, we weren't dicks to emp_recruits. I was playing the other day, and I remember telling this one guy how to do stuff like build buildings and get ammos. He was so surprised that I was helping him and not yelling at him to read the manual. All I could think was wow, what happened to this kid that all he expects from the Empires community is a bunch elitist dicks?

5. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

If he came from Counter-Strike, it's sort of a natural reflex. Thanks to Counter-Strike I now always read a complete guide on how to do anything, it's kind of sad that I had to learn through consistent insulting and being bitched at and insulted for making mistakes in-game (I still used to have the habit of throwing my grenade against a small corner and blowing my own ass off). Oh-oh, and when you're new and in a game with those elitist dicks, in a "last man standing" game and you lose, you're about to get sodomized with a paper knife.

6. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Yeah, I don't mind, you can use it :p

And lol @ sodomization with a paper knife :p

7. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

When i first played Counter Strike Source, i was like, "lol auto sniper". So those elitist dicks always sodomized me with a dildo whenever i camped :(

8. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Build a nicer community then? (Plant trees, and ammos)

9. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Dystopia had a good system running, which was the tutor system. Basically, you would put [Dystopia Tutor] after your name, and then you would answer any questions anyone had, and made people feel welcome. It was very popular, and I think was useful. Prehaps we could have something similar?

10. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

emp_trainer?

11. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

OMGZ LOLZ0rz R u TEH PWNZ?

ROFL n00bs, J00 n07 1337 45 M3|-| Newbzz0rzzz

dunno felt like saying some lame ass shit XD

12. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

well you could have made a thread of uselessness in the Black hole.

I think emp_trainer is a good thing, likely better than my original idea or |Trainzo0rs|

13. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Souns like a good idea... I like it :D

14. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

PokeTrainer?

15. KILLX

KILLX Banned

This is a good idea

LIVE DAMMIT LIVE!

This is a great idea, compared to some games new players can find Empire's complicated. To know that theres a community out there that helps them get into the game would help get more players. I have a friend at school that tried Empire's, and just quit because it was too complicated for him.

16. arklansman

arklansman Member

This is the worst bump ever.
    There is a training map that will be included in 1.8.

17. KILLX

KILLX Banned

:confused:

18. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

A training map can only do so much; this is more taking in an aprrentice and teaching them all you know...

I was for this idea originaly and I am for this idea now; the only complication, is how to get a word out there...

19. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Frontline training kinda of died when FB died.

20. KILLX

KILLX Banned

It doesn't need to be part of a clan. Theres already people on the forums that think new players need this kind of thing, if we could just get a small community site going, it could work out. As for getting word out, maybe a small sig banner?

I could host it in a section on my site for whoever would want to head it. I don't think I have the leadership skills to be anywhere near the leader of this.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006