for the TTF2 players out here:

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tovarich Cookie, May 25, 2009.

1. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

The email I sent to gabe amounted to this, in many more words. This potentially will make me stop playing TF2 - I already hated the unlock system of COD4 and the like - but at least with COD4 I can just attach the VS debugger and edit memory to increase my rank and skip the hours of playing to get a new gun. I can't do that in TF2 - I have to wait ages just to get a unlock...and since the unlocks will have levels to them, I say unfair....no matter how they try to balance. Why don't they try a "new" appoach of just giving you the new stuff from the get go. What a novel idea...

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You know when I played COD 4 I just used the guns I liked, which is basically the MP5 and not much else.

Every now and then the game would go 'OMG NEW GUN' and I would go 'OMG AWSUM' and use it for a while, unlock a few things, then go back to MP5ing people.

The only thing I really found to be beneficial was the UAV jammer, makes silenced SMG hunting much easier.

Other than that I just use guns I like, I occasionally flip between a few but as no gun is really universally better than any other (except maybe the MP5) I don't feel the need to unlock everything. Especially since my favorites are all the stock guns, the stock shotty with grip and reload speed perks, the MP5, and the SAW.

Of course I don't like playing TF2 very much so that doesn't really apply to it, but I can't imagine why you'd have issues with unlocks if you actually like playing the game.

3. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

4. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

do the weapon levels actually do something?

6. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

what valve are going to do is add a whole shitload of new weapons... like 6 medigun varients, etc. they'll all be roughly equal but have slightly different abilities.

that's what the backpack and trading is going to be about.

the weapons will be gathered in the random way that they do now, as far as i know, and the level thing is just a jokey way of differentiating the different weapons and giving the weapons a bit of 'value'. After all, the kritzkrieg (lev 5 medigun?) isn't better than the normal one (lev 1)

7. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Depends on you you use it. If you're flat out saying it's inferior you need to shut up and use it more. Otherwise, it is a very effective medigun. Have you tried a heavy with 100% critical hits? It can roll over whole teams.

8. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Axtinguisher isn't a pure upgrade, it's garbage if your target isn't on fire. And if you're close enough to flame them you may as well not pull the axe out because the flamer has a better chance. KGB isn't pure upgrade either, slower firing. A 'pure upgrade' has 0 downsides. Otherwise it isn't purely better. A downside is a downside, no matter how trivial.

9. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

I dunno. I'd call a nuclear tipped Trident missile an upgrade over, say, a sharp stick, though the Trident does have a downside. Or two.

10. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

An upgrade, yes. But not a pure upgrade. A 'pure' upgrade would be purely an upgrade. No downsides. If there is even a single trivial downside, it's not pure anymore. Upgrade != 'pure' upgrade.

A medigun that charges 25% faster and has a invulnerability uber is a pure upgrade over the standard medigun. It charges 25% faster and does the same thing.
    The Axtinguisher does massive damage to enemies on fire. That's an upgrade. It also does half the damage of the normal axe to enemies that aren't on fire. That's a downside. Therefore it's not a 'pure' upgrade.

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  11. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

what's the downside to the axtinguisher? there is no situation where you would want to use the normal axe on a guy instead of the flamethrower. well, you could be out of ammo, but that never happens.

12. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Yes there is, sometimes you don't have the time to burn someone. If you never run out of ammo you need to play pyro more before you talk about it.

13. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

I just got 3 of the new items in a row, but there is a slight problem...
    [​IMG]
    ...They're all the fucking same!

14. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

i could take you to town over this dude, but i'm going to drop it, it isn't important in the grand scheme of things.

15. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

I just got another razorback.... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I just want the ambassador and the bowman...but I get neither. Time to idle in servers overnight.

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

All Hail The Razorbacks

18. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

I also want the Ambassador.
    And some goddamn hats, please.

19. Omneh

Omneh Member

I haven't got anything since the new update.

And yes, I have been playing.

:pathetic:

20. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

I have 6x Jarate and 5x Cloak&Dagger. Delted 4x Ubersaw and 4x Bonk! Atomic Punch recently.