for the TTF2 players out here:

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tovarich Cookie, May 25, 2009.

1. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

what do you guys think of the new update?

summarized in one word, totally unfair.

HOW LONG UNTIL I GET MY CLOAK AND DAGGER / HUNTSMAN!!????

also, the god damn unlock system is totally random (read:time based)]

so if you have any grievances, post em here.

2. OuNin

OuNin Member

Playing the game is reinforced on a variable interval. People play the game instead of farm, so that's nice.

3. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

The unlock system is random. It is meant to give way to a RPG style unlock system - note your current unlocks are stuff like "level 5" - they are going to do a full unlock system next; your backpack will hold items, and the value of each weapon will vary.

Thus, you can't just hop in game and have fun anymore, you have to grind. I think I'll delete TF2 right about now, and yell things at Valve as I drive by their studio this week.

4. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

tl;dr what the fuck is this shit

5. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i think we got all this because of grinders

anyway, the items are just a way to add some variety to a game thats basically the same every replay of the same map...

the items are also quite amazingly balanced, no new item gives more power or dominating capabilities, just changes how you play a little

this is however as far as it should go... imo

randomly find weapons, share them with your friends if you have doubles, valve makes weapons on periodically bases, no weapon is "better" then the other

7. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

But balance is something Valve is not known for...TF2 lost some of it's balance with the new guns, or some of the new unlocks were meant to fix flaws in balance...but only added new ones. I don't think they should just leave the game alone, but they are only going to ADD grinding at this point. Frankly, I'd just as soon have them just give people the new stuff, not make it unlocks. I mean, look at the XBox 360 setup: Yes, you have achievements, but they don't really net you much in games (there are a few exceptions, like Mass Effect giving you perks if you did certain things the first time through, you get new stuff the second play though.) but overall you didn't need to worry about achievements unless you cared about how many points you had on XBL.

This unlock system will just make people play for the sake of unlocks. I spent an extra half hour playing, because I decided to play until I got my unlock; I didn't really enjoy the game as much though - I didn't play because I wanted to play, I played because I wanted an unlock. And I did get an unlock...I got my third force of nature, if I remember right. Sigh...

Either way, I sent a mail to gabe...

8. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

They should have kept the old system for getting the new weapons, but the hats could have been random since they're only for looks and e-penis extension.

(Oh and I got both the cloak and dagger/huntsman :D )

9. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

It took me about 6-7 unlocks before I got one I did not have - which was the cloak and dagger; I'd personally call that one overpowered...just like the tribal shield is. Leave your back ungaurded, fine: you get backstabbed. Don't punish the spy who should have a kill by fucking them over with a stupid shield (which pretty much gives the sniper a chance to run - or more likely, kill the spy.

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yea, if you see a shield just use the gun on the head i think

11. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

12. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

I see your future sig....

13. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Everytime you call him fat, he delays Episode 3... >:).

Anyways I haven't been on Steam in a while, how does the new system work, like you just play & *blam* new weapon, or just get any number of achievements?

14. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

You can still get the old weapons through achivements, but they are random aswell.
    All the new items are random.

15. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

Stupid Unlock System is stupid.

I have 5 Ubersaws, 4 Bonk Atomic Punches, 4 Jarate, 3 Cloak&Dagger,etc..

16. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

At least it stopped the achievement servers and totally retarded full servers of one single class after an update. I quite like that. And since I don't care about either spy or sniper I don't care they have to grind their stuff now. I already had my pyro and my medic stuff and am happy now, not that I play that game anyway because it is repetitive and dumbed down for noobs anyway.

17. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

Wait, everyone plays spy and sniper now, how has that "servers full of one class" changed?

18. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

I'm sure it will fade out with time, and the restriction of certain classes is only optinional afaik.

19. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

With every other update it also faded out, still its this hasn't changed that people keep playing one class (mainly sniper for some reason. I regulary see like 5 snipers and 3 spies on a team.)
    However, thanks to this updates on 24 slot servers only 16 people are acutally playing and the rest is specating/afking to get the achievements. This is even worse then achievement farming, which STILL occurs since people want to get the achievement.
    Also valve didn't release trading stuff with the update which causes you not being able to trade your useless items (Seriously, who needs 1000 ubersaws and 14123123 nataschas?)

20. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wait, the morning after the update I found a good mix of classes on all servers I played on.