Fix For MountAppFilesystem() failed

Discussion in 'Support' started by vipervicki, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Silk

Silk Mapper

I have a day off tomorrow, i'll try some stuff. Atm i haven't installed much steam games yet so it's doable to remove steam completely including empires and see what happens in detail with a new install.

Is there something i have to pay attention to when i do this tomorrow apart from Trickster post above? I get the impression gcf files weren't intented to be required, but apparantly they are, or they get added themselves? This is always in the "steamapps/" folder? And empires itself should be installed in the "common" folder only? So "common/empires/empires/..."

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

They're not meant to be required but for some reason the game is still demanding they're there, even if they're empty. A fresh install would be awesome to test it on. But the GCFs should now appear either way.

3. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

curious if you double clicked on connect instead of single click. I goofed this morning and double click and got that message.

4. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

no it is just a very repeatable problem after everything you run.

5. EdWindows

EdWindows Member

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

I still can't run my game. Steam says missing executable. :headshot:

6. Trickster

Did you validate SDK Base 2007 and Empires?

7. EdWindows

EdWindows Member

Only 1000 times.

Empires folder is in username; deleted redist, empireslauncher, empireslauncher.exe, installscript.vdf; put GCFs in username folder.
    SDK Base 2007 is in username folder.

Everything is where it should be.

8. Silk

Silk Mapper

Except steam should've installed the empires folder in "common", not the username folder

9. Trickster

GCFs shouldn't be in your username folder, they should be in your steamapps root.

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

so i can delete the %steamuserdir%\empires suff? future releases will go in %steamapps%\common\empires?

ja?

11. Trickster

Fuck knows. I was just talking about the GCFs.

12. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Nein.
    But if you want to break your install go on...

13. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

all my stuff is in my username folder, nothing but non valve games is in common.

All my source stuff is in my steamapps/username directory, sourcesdk, source sdk base 2007, source sdk base, sourcesdk_content, team fortress 2, etc, etc.

Common only has things like Call of duty, Rome total war, etc.

EDIT: and it all worked fine before that fucking Linux patch! (my error is directly related to when the steam linux patch was released)

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

all my empires stuff for the current release is in %steamapps%\common (i know bc i wondered why it wouldnt show me the compiled map when i put it in the %steamuserdir%\empires\empires\maps folder) except for the gfc which are in %steamapps% itself. empires works fine for me ...

but the folder layout is kind of a mess now Oo

15. DooM GuY™

DooM GuY™ Member

Thanks vipervicki for the fix, went to play today for first time in a while and was continuously plagued by this message after numerous restarts and uninstalls etc etc (Y)

16. Metalsand

Metalsand Member

Reinstalled empires, curiously steam didn't redownload the empires GCF files...and when I verified cache, steam would just say it was okay.

The fix worked though, thanks.

17. Kira

Kira Member

Error

hi guys

i got this error :

mountappfilesystem()failed:
    Steammountappfilesystem(17740 sometimes17741, 4294967295,0x1a82f584)
    failed with error 5: no Cs online with App 17741 Ver 0

i first couldnt see server so i asked paradox to send me the ip's
    i could not connect to them so i figured you guys may have updated the game and i didnt want to deal with updating so i reinstalled everything and i get this error now when i start the game. i tried vicki's things but they dont work 4 me

thx maybe see you in empires very soon

18. Kira

Kira Member

errorchange

after Trickster told me to validate both empires and sdk 2007 the error changed to:

mountappfilesystem()failed:
    steamountappfilesystem(17740,4294967295,0xbbaf7dc)failed with error 5: No cs online with app17741 ver 0

i dont know what to do anymore. giving Trickster mad props 4 helping me! best dev ever

19. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Looking around online, some people are saying this is because it couldn't find a required GCF file. Problem is, we've long ago switched from GCFs to a different content distribution system (SteamPipe). Have you tried the fix in the original post: http://forums.empiresmod.com/showpost.php?p=433737&postcount=1 ?

20. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

The real problem is that no one umounted the app ids for the 3 empires gcf files from the main empires app id in the steam database....
    Wouldn't it be possible to commit the current build of empires (the one that's currently on steam) but with just the database changes committed as well?
    If not then it should be done when the next version of empires is committed to steam as absolute importance as this issue is preventing people from playing.
    Also it may be possible to mount the app id for source sdk base in the database and completely get rid of the empires launcher.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013