Fix For MountAppFilesystem() failed

Discussion in 'Support' started by vipervicki, Feb 21, 2013.

1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

So what you're saying is we haven't been getting as many new players as we should have for over two years because of the transfer leftovers?

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Not over 2 years. We swapped to Steampipe at the very end of last year, so it's more like 11 months. But yes, that is what I believe.

3. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I can't seem to find any reference to GCF files in the ContentDescriptionDB.xml. Do you mean to say that we should just remove any references of 17741 through 17743 from that XML file and try and send it to Valve? Because I'm not sure if Valve still takes these things.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

They did help us out last year and told us they'd removed us from the GCF system. If that's not the case then I'm sure they'd be happy to rectify it.

Honestly, I feel like it would be easier to have them totally wipe us from the system and start over with it.

5. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Well if you look at the app manifest of empires its still trying to use the old gcf files even though they don't exist. You can edit it through contenttool.exe but I think that probably just read/writes to the xml files anyway. It also looks like a manifest file is missing.
    I looked at this ages ago and found what was needed to be done and no one did it, let me have another look and make a screenshot.

Edit: I had a chat with beerdude and I realise now that I was wrong about it the whole time.

+1 for wipe and redo it. It's sometimes less hassle to do that. (but only if they wiped it properly lol)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  6. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I think Cyberkiller has it half right. Talking with Jephir, he told me that the app ID's reference file depots so they're not the problem. But file depots can take the form of either cache files or loose files. If you try to open the database file directly, it makes no sense at all. But if you open it through the content tool, it gives an option to set Empires to either use cache files or loose files, and currently it's set to use the cache files.

I considered changing it myself, but I have almost no idea how the build system works on the server so I didn't want to risk breaking anything.

7. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Interesting. I'll check this out tomorrow.

8. complete_

complete_ lamer

well theres a couple of people on the empires steam forum thingy that reported the same problem, so youre probably right

9. 101010

101010 Member

Interesting thing is that if you run the game with the EmpiresLauncher.exe
    It loads just fine without the GCFs

10. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Yeah, I noticed that before. But it only works with certain installs that bypass Steam entirely, possibly older installs from before Steampipe. I can do it on my desktop and I could do it on my laptop before I did a fresh install of Empires onto it for testing purposes. That's how I figured that it had to be a problem with either Steampipe or the build config.

11. madboi9o2

madboi9o2 Member

Not for me it doesn't. I launch it and it has a white screen and nothing happens. Fix?
    EDIT: I tried to take a screen shot using the Print Screen, but when I uploaded it to Paint, it showed a complete black screen instead of white. Sorry I can't provide a screenshot. And, I had the Missing materials/console/startup_loading.vmf error PLUS the script/surfaceproperties_manifest.txt error. Anyone else having this?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  12. Karhell

Karhell Member

13. chrono

chrono Member

mountappfilesystem() failed: steammount appfilesystem(17740,4294967295,0x11cffd54) failed with error 5: no CS online with app 17741 ver 0

after following some steps in this thread it was changed in numbers to this:

mountappfilesystem() failed: steammountappilesystem(17740,42949672950x241fd54) failed with error 5: no CS online with app 206 ver 8

but i didnt really follow what i did to know what caused the change.

these are the chronological steps i took to try and resolv the incapability of empires to run:

* i have uninstalled steam.
    * i have reinstalled steam.
    * after re-installing steam, i installed empires mod, which also required the installation of sdk 2007.
    both of them where sucessfuly installed.
    * someone said in this thread to validate them or something...so i validate them both. sucessfully.
    * tried to play empires mod --- error still exsist. cant run.
    * i installed the fix that was provided in the first post of this thread. i extracted the zip file following the instructions that was given - 3 files to be extracted to the steam\steammaps\.
    as of now, inside my steam\steammapps directory there are three files in a "*.gfc" format.
    * tried to play empires mod --- error still exsist. cant run.
    * i was excited to hear about a "empiresmodlauncher.exe" file. searched it and excecuted it. it fails to start. my error in the launcher was

"Missing materials/console/startup_loading.vmf ".

it appears as of now that about half of all people cant play empires mod. empires mod is just not playable.

1)is someone reading this?
    2)can anyone please develop a solution to all of this?
    3)any more information i can give to help just ask me.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  14. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

People are reading this and each time they see a post they are hoping someone has posted a fix.

I have posted a complete list of what the app number errors are. Linky
    The required files are impossible to get unless you have a backup of your steamapps directory pre steam pipe update. If it wasn't the fact that they contain copyrighted materials I would post links to the files myself.

15. chrono

chrono Member

thanks for responding, and thanks for your willingness to help.
    i however dont understand why would it be infrigment copyright since empires mod is for free. and so is teamfortress 2 which makes it possible for playing empires mod for free.

but look... version 2.30, archived at moddb website works fine.
    wouldnt it be possible for the developers to publish the 2.41 as a stand-alone manually folder installed mod just like 2.30? atleast untill someone has fixed this.
    isnt it like, super easy? i hope they read this and do it.

16. 101010

101010 Member

1. - You could maybe post the empty gcfs. Then there are some.....kind of shady tools that will update them threw steam.
    2.- The way a gmod add on did it. You had to change your steam profile to public so it could verify you had a legal copy of the required game b4 it would allow download.
    3.- Roll back to a source mod type game.
    4.- update Empires to source 2013

17. chrono

chrono Member

maybe have epic server and all other servers run on 2.30 version untill a fix is made?
    atleast then its playable.
    moddb has archived versions of client and servers there

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

There won't be a revert to a previous version for abosulte sure, so unless every person affected manages to fix it on their own somehow they are left to wait until the problem gets fixed by the devs. And it's not like they aren't trying either, this is a slightly more complex problem.

19. 101010

101010 Member

2.30 Would still need the source gcf's that are no longer available.
    The SDK GCFs got removed and replaced with VPKs.
    Source 2007 mods like Empires have issues and can not load VPKs.
    The GCF's are still hosted on steam servers. But they are a hassle to download now.

20. chrono

chrono Member

i have no idea if dev people trying or not or about complexity. i suggested solutions (2.30 seemed a practical solution to sugget for servers untill a fix is made)

i have no problem running empires 2.30 without the gfc fix.
    it just start and play. the only problem for me is i cant connect to servers because they run different versions. im just pointing out