Fishing for PUG ideas

Discussion in 'General' started by Lazybum, Jun 3, 2015.

?

What type of pug? Pick 1 from each category.

1. Maps? Classic maps only.

13.3%
  2. Custom maps only.

20.0%
  3. Mixed maps.

53.3%
  4. Team setup? Captain's draft

33.3%
  5. Preselected commanders and you can join any team.

53.3%
  6. Themes? Yes, please tell what theme you want.

20.0%
  7. No, I don't want a theme

20.0%
  8. I am sad I can't have multiple poll categories.:(

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Anyway, I'm not saying what you are talking about is hard Paradox, I'm just saying it is alot more work just to have a set in stone roster instead of half a set in stone roster & it also creates player balance issues and a bunch more work just to create something which basically resembles a scrim ladder (which we don't have because there isn't enough interest)

2. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Well, I think both systems has its perk. The advantagous of your perks are that leadership is divided and so is workload. It requires more people with responsibility though. 4 people ( squadleads ) have to chase 4 other people or even more. ( 7 peeople persquad so u have reserves).

My system requires 1 guy to do the most. Although attendance isnt really chasing people a week long to play. IF PEOPLE ARE REALLY ENTHOUSIASTIC AND MOTIVATED. You dont have to chase anyone, just make a forum thread and let them respond.

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

We could push it with 80. I don't think it'd be overly difficult. the server gets filled up on weekends so there's at least ~40 players weekly, and there's potential for vets who don't play to be interested. Yes I'm considering grabbing the noobest of noobs and encouraging them to play competitively and join clans/teams in order to fill 4 teams.

4. Paradox

have fun getting them to sign up.

5. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I dunno - the forum is a bad place to do it imho..
    We have maybe what, 20 - 30 active players on the forum?

Either way a great place to start is simply a date or 2 a month where you can fill the server up and have the prerequisites for a good game; a captain/plan, a commander and a good amount of people.

You'll definitely get more old school names with that kind of scrim play style turning up if all they need to do is turn up on a given time. From there you can from up rosters if you drum up the interest.

The biggest issue is inclusion, everyone that makes the effort to come should be able to play.

Just signing up on a forum does not a cohesive team make anyhow. I think you are over estimating how much better people will play just because they are in a team - if the captain wants to win so will everyone playing with them.

6. Metruption

Metruption Member

if we're doing an esports type league we should get people from the dogecoin subreddit involved, we could have earn rheel munies

7. Paradox

Problem is with doing that, you just made it a pug :P

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

That's the issue with making leagues :rolleyes: better to just let clans challenge each other and encourage people to play in clans.

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Wow, that's a lot of posts in a short time. I had to go back and check my original post though because I'm confused about talk of a league or whatnot. I can't organize that because I don't know if I'll have time for that far into the future. Though if someone else wants to step up to the plate for it that would be cool. Though I wish I could find that old map, I took that empire territory map and plopped all the maps on it thinking it would be neat for this type of thing...

Anyways I always make the effort to play the larger maps if we can, it's just we have both really large custom and stock maps so I like to know which ones. See my older threads on how I deal with maps, it's gonna be something similar once I know what maps people want.

Also there might be a second type of event in the works, I'll probably make a post about it when I make the post for this pug. So yeah, exciting things afoot.

10. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Yeah, I dunno where all the league talk came from, you said pretty specifically you could only personally arrange this one pug.

And the map you were looking for... it wasn't this one, was it?

[​IMG]

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

really? when did that happen?

also, if this becomes a league again - brace yourself, drama is coming

12. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Scrims are our collective way to try and increase our post counts.

13. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

That's the map alright, but I meant a version I doodled on to section it off so there was a map in each section. Think of a risk board or that campaign dealy from ro2. The idea I had at the time was over the course of 2 months or something each side would try to conquer as much territory as they can get. I think in my original plan to make poeple want to take certain territories or whatever there was gonna be some sort of bonus, might have been something like get all the territories on the islands and add 3 to your total or something like that.

I think I gave up on it because of work, or because I had this complicated idea about out of game money that the team captain/commanders would use. I want to say there was going to be this complicated idea of making any participant have a cost associated to them, something like a mercenary system, that was weighted against how well they did on previous rounds. There was the obvious problem of the winning team getting the better players, but I thought of some way around that and I can't remember what it was. Oh, and I think there was gonna be special places on the territory map where a team could get extra funds to get better players or something to that extent. It would be cool if there was some extra type of progressive system, like long goal research or extra tanks to start with that would carry through the rounds but that's something that would have to wait for a new empires. People like me would find this fun, but I don't think anyone wants to deal with extra rules outside of what happens in game.

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

there was another map like what you describe, i think from the very first league - but i havnt seen it in quite a while, even though people bring up this idea once in a while, it probably got delelted from the internets ...

... maybe we could write NSA?

15. Metruption

Metruption Member

If we make a risk type map where people capture places there's going to be the same problem as starwars battlefront II's galactic conquest. They always fucking attacked naboo and that map was so stacked in the enemy favor because they had a solid wraparound on your main capture point fucking shit

16. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Here.

I created a mock up that makes sense to me and easy to read.
    https://d.maxfile.ro/jmzbwessyk.docx

Just add the wins in the boxes.
    and the grand total determines the winner.

example

map name 2 - 1
    map name 1 - 2
    map name 2 - 1
    map name 2 - 1
    map name 1 - 2

5 maps = 8 - 7

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

you made a table...

18. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Yeah so?
    Its easy to organize.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  19. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Suggestion: an .xls file can do the addition for you

20. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

And Google docs can let like eighteen people edit it at one time in their browser without signing up got anything. It's fucking beautiful.