Fishing for PUG ideas

Discussion in 'General' started by Lazybum, Jun 3, 2015.

?

What type of pug? Pick 1 from each category.

1. Maps? Classic maps only.

13.3%
  2. Custom maps only.

20.0%
  3. Mixed maps.

53.3%
  4. Team setup? Captain's draft

33.3%
  5. Preselected commanders and you can join any team.

53.3%
  6. Themes? Yes, please tell what theme you want.

20.0%
  7. No, I don't want a theme

20.0%
  8. I am sad I can't have multiple poll categories.:(

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

You dont let them sit out, thats so ass. You just let them play for the other team.

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Then the team affiliation thing goes to shit, and people start complaining they can't play on their preferred side, and so on and so forth.

3. Paradox

Just for 1 player. There will always be players who dont care which side they play on. You just ask your team who doesnt mind. There will always be some.

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

That's kind of the problem, the draft is supposed to give some sense of belonging to your team, if you actually don't care then we're back to square one where it might as well be a pug.

5. Paradox

You dont understand the someone. Lets says its 16v18, 13 of your players care some dont that much. Like they rather not, but if noone is going to 2 people have to sit out.

Its like giving 5 chocolate muffins to 6 children who all like chocolate, they dont wanna split but theres 1 guy that isnt SUPER fond of chocolate, he just likes it. the 5 others are fucking maniacs

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

See my point above, it still applies. It's not about personal preference, it's about having and enforcing a ruleset.

7. Paradox

How does your point still count. You want to force people to care about belonging in a team? Or tell people they cant play the scrim because they dont care enough? Your point doesnt matter because people have different preferences in different intensities. Like lets say senor awesome dun care if he plays for me or the other team. its 18v16 you'd let 2 people sit out just so they care? Thats some fucked up shit ma nigg

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

The players can swap between rounds.

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

Yes, I would have someone from the overpopulated team sit out. Either that or have the underpopulated one play at a disadvantage, but that'd have to be analysed on a case-by-case basis. The point here isn't to just join the server and have fun, it's to regularly play with roughly the same teams (no side-switching!) over a long period of time, which should raise the play level. Now sure, you could say that just playing regularly would raise that level already, but past years prove otherwise.

10. Paradox

Well your system could work if we enforce my system of punishment if you dont give 3 days notice.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Why are you guys talking about the League? Effort actually went into making that thing, with a website and forums and rules and all kinds of things. Even a play map.

If you aren't going to do that kind of stuff, really, stop describing it, lol.

12. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Predraft is fine for a fioxed length tournament (4 games?) - its also alot of work. Fuck pre-drafting every other week, I don't see that being sustainable for more than a month or two by which time Lazybum will have pulled all his hair out.

Small teams of maybe 5 people (1 commander + 4 "inner-circle" players) can organise themselves really easily and anyone attending is going to be good enough to do what their squad leader says.

If people particularly want to play for one team then let them, but be flexible with it.

If you want to add complexity then build it up week on week.

The stuff I am takling about wil take 2 hours a week.
    The stuff you are talking about will take 2 hours a day.
    Figure which one is sustainable.

Also - what ikalx said. I'd love to see another League actually - but before that happens alot of people need to step forward and say that they would captain, organise & schedule a team before it is a remote possibility. It certainly isn't something you have one person throw together every month.

Scrim teams and clans are already a thing (sort of) and anyone can setup those kinds of matches - it isn't hard to challenge another team, set a date & request a server, no need to rely on someone to organise it. If these groups were active there would be no need for a biweeky scheduled event to fill the gap.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  13. Paradox

every 9 weeks you select new teams and new captains. Not every other scrim :P Or what ever time period. But I feel like there has to be an end. You play best out of 5 or 3, and every round are 3 games. That way its not pointless playing but you work towards winning 3 games. After that you pick new captains because its imbalanced as fuck or you can vote to keep same teams.

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

How can it possibly take this long?

1. Poll for interest
    2. Two people draft teams
    3. Set date, ask for confirmed attendance
    3a. Strategy planning
    4. Show up and play
    5. Repeat 3-4 until bo3 or bo5 is concluded, then start over

It doesn't seem to be this long. However, confirming attendance is going to be a bitch, so some sort of a system for population imbalance ought to be in place. My idea is the simplest but there may be a better one out there.

All this needs is more people than Lazybum to be into it - there is player interest already, but we don't have any leaders.

15. Paradox

Draft according to skill and attendance?

Make a new thread for attendance. Only reply there if you are going to play and what days you can play and how big the chance is you'll actually show up.

16. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Yes, fine. thats do-able, assuming you can find say 4 good captains that will make significant effort to recruit and communicate, setup their steam groups, etc.

But your real problem is player balancing. Once you start expecting 22+ people to report in and then someone to account for those numbers and have people on the bench and make all these other provisions it isn't a PUG. It isn't the kind of event you can run indefinitely.

I'd love to see it but you are absolutely talking about a league not a pug.
    By all means have at it hoss, but don't think there won't be headaches for organisers, players and captains that eventually out weigh the fun when players don't show, people have to sit out, teams are unbalanced, or one side gets stomped and half the losing team disbands.

17. Paradox

I dont think its that hard.

Lets theoretically host this league thing in my head.

We make a thread for who wants to play and when they can.
    We make another thread for who wants to volunteer for being captain.

We have 3 captains ( not comms, captains ) that stepped up for nomination.
    We make a poll what people wanna see who as captain.

We have 2 captains. Lets say AZK and me.

Me and azk grab a beer together and draft with the list of people who wanted to play. We both grab around 20 players.

First game starts in a week.
    I make a thread who is going to attend, azk makes a thread about who is going to attend. Any posts irrelevant will be deleted by azk or me because we get admin for our own threads. ( make a subforum? )
    3 days before the game thread gets closed and I go to azk telling him I got 15 players he comes to me tells me he has 14. I drop one player.

The problem of imbalanced teams get solved by the fact that we get captains who care and draft for the best skilled team and not because they wanna have "fun". Also lets make it best out of 3. So 3 rounds of 3 games. This way when theres an imbalanced team theyll win 2-0. Then this thing starts all over again.

18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Can we support 3 or 4 teams? 3 or 4 teams will make this fun, and we can then have a final round at the end of the season.

19. Paradox

If you want 4 teams and consistent 16 players youll need up to 90 players...

20. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I didn't realise this was an option!
    You win!

----

Maybe I am lazy but thats too much effort for me as a captain.
    I think I'd get just as much done by picking 4 people as squad leads or commander, that I know are going to turn up and tell them what I want them to do.

From there you get in server and join your faction: captain, commander, squad leaders. With all the plans already laid out and you can, if you must, draft players out of spec.

No people are excluded from playing, no captains having to chase up 20 odd people every other week to see if they will come. Attendance will be better. All of those people who don't care about sitting out are also the people who won't turn up anyway because they know they might not get to play and hence are better off going out - so attendance will be better.
    The teams will self organise if you let them anyway.

Everything is simple, people turn up and play and I don't need to think about who is/isn't turning up. I, as captain turn up 10 minutes early and have a smoke and then the game starts. Which means I am much more likely to volunteer to be a captain & not fuck it up.