Fishing for PUG ideas

Discussion in 'General' started by Lazybum, Jun 3, 2015.

?

What type of pug? Pick 1 from each category.

1. Maps? Classic maps only.

13.3%
  2. Custom maps only.

20.0%
  3. Mixed maps.

53.3%
  4. Team setup? Captain's draft

33.3%
  5. Preselected commanders and you can join any team.

53.3%
  6. Themes? Yes, please tell what theme you want.

20.0%
  7. No, I don't want a theme

20.0%
  8. I am sad I can't have multiple poll categories.:(

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Hello, I want to host another pug of some sort. The problem is I don't what type to go with. I'll split this into 2 sections, plus another because I just thought of it.

Map selection

We can do either just custom maps, just classic maps, or a mix. Tell me what you'd like to see. Personally I kinda want to do another custom map pug, but I think some people would like to play classic maps in a more organized matter which brings me to...

Team setups

We can do either a captain's draft because I think we actually have enough regular players for this or I get dedicated commanders and it's a free for all in what team people join. I'm whatever about this, though I do kinda feel that captain's drafts slow the game down a tad and the free for alls haven't been bad at all in the past, if slightly less organized.

Theme

This applies for maps mostly I think, but if you guys want some sort of theme going on, like say snowy maps or only open maps, we can do that too.

So tell me what type of pug you want and I'll do my best to get it going. Oh, this isn't some sort of summer league or series of pugs like what's been talked about, I only got time to organize this one off. I'll make a thread on the pug event on Saturday I think, so you have til then to tell me your opinion.

Poll incoming... Polls here.Edit: Why are some of the poll options italicized? Or not italicized, I don't know what they are normally.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I'd like to try out what Trickster said with teams that sticks together for more than just a single event, but that requires leaders to step up.

As for maps, old classics pls

3. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

How about a "maps released in the last year" theme?

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I'd like to try that out too, but I can't host that unfortunately.

I think we have just enough maps that have been released for that one wookie, unless you mean straight up released and not simply updated, even if it's a good update. Actually nuclear would make for a fun prepug map, or a nice end map.

5. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

"Preselected commanders and you can join any team." eliminates using teamspeak.

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

End map, I'm fairly certain it can burn people out if BE holds out too long.

7. Metruption

Metruption Member

The best endmap is emp_empirescup played three times

maplist i'd like to see
    emp_district420 with unlimited tickets
    emp_tropicvendetta
    emp_palmbay
    emp_octagons
    emp_fuel

we shouldn't do a captains draft, i remember it getting fucked up last time

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I don't mind customs if they're good ones. What I'd like to see, though, is with these big games we play some maps that really don't work with small teams - like Isle. That map doesn't get much play normally, but it's actually a good one, causing most people to have to adapt as they play. It really teaches a bit more than the standard map, I think, because it's so open and...actually it's a good map for figuring out just what is missing with infantry roles.

Sounds a bit random to say, but scout abilities and sneak tactics seem to get the most play on that map, and it's often a bit easier to see what you can and can't do on it after a while. Mostly because people aren't as often close to supplies and have to fight a bit further out field.

/random.

Anyway, preselected commanders seems good too. It might not seem like it, but you often get a different game with a different commander in the seat, rather than the popular ones all the time.

9. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Pirate theme.

Beach maps only

10. -MEG- hobbes

-MEG- hobbes Member

emp hobbes V2. me vs freak. free for all team selection. this should happen once a week.

11. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

12. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

[​IMG]

13. Metruption

Metruption Member

Map can have custom player models, right? We need pirate models for this type of thing.

emp_isle
    emp_palmbay
    emp_tropicvendetta

Three of my favorite maps, three island maps. Conicidence? I think not.

inb4 "emp_slaughtered has a beach! Yo ho ho?"
    YO HO NO

14. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Me(or paradox) versus trickster.

15. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

emp_bootybay as starting map :|ove: (not warmup)

16. complete_

complete_ lamer

best thing to do is choose the maps according the amount of people. everyone wants to play king and chain except when its 10v10. same goes for many other maps.

i think the pug shouldn't exclude any map besides bad ones or ones that primarily have 1 chokepoint

e: also can people play tomorrow?

17. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Every 3 weeks. Preset teams by draft. Every 9 weeks change the draft.

edit: also 9 weeks same captain. Winning captain can keep being captain by own choice or step down by own choice. Losing captain steps down but can get revoted again.
    Vote on captains.

Punishment on saying you were going to be there then not going to be there: you dont get to play next time.

I feel like this is really important. If you tell your cap you are going to be able to play you fucking better be there. Its super important to know the number of players both teams can feel to make adequate plans and prep. 3 days before the event u give notice on the forums if u will be there or not. If you dont respond u dont play.

Like I cant emphasize this enough. Having captained a lot of teams NOT KNOWING HOW MANY ARE GOING TO SHOW UP OR IF THEY ARE GOING TO SHOW UP FUCKING SUCKS.

Captains can also give fauls to his teammates for being a douche or not listening: also very important to keep this from being a pug but a real scrim. In clans its easy, if they dont listen you kick em. This isnt with clans, people who dont listen or act like a shithead get punished by captain.

also I would like to captain

18. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Captain pick is a huge pain in the arse for a pug when numbers are liable to go up and down. No-one wants to sit out to even the numbers, all that crap.

If you want a bit more organisation get commanders to commit and have them organise their own squad leaders so they can layout strats before hand.

But that said I think some kind of team loyalty / competition would be good to keep things going and give people a reason to really invest in it.

19. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Yeah but thats where the punishments kick in.

Like you predraft before the games like 3 days before the game you draft the players because 3 days before the game the players have to give notice.
    So the next 3 days you can plan. Then you play with the same players you have drafted for 9 weeks.

Note for the captains draft you have to draft upwards 20 players to assure you can atleast have 11v11 to 16v16's. And if its like 14v16 just give 1 player to the other team or when its unequal just play 15v14 its not a big deal.

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

You draft a bunch of people and then hope as many show up as possible, if one team has more players someone has to sit out. Sure it sucks but it's the only way I see this drafting thing happening.