Engineers are Overused.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Alceister, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Empty

Empty Member

Lol. No.
    They just made infantry combat more like a snowball fight, and tanks still wtfpwn every infantryman in sight.

IMO every gun should be renamed the woodchipper rifle. Because that's how they work. Yes, I'm overusing woodchips and 2.2, but it's true.

Scout rifle is hilarious too.

2. TK367

TK367 Member

Engineers are semi-over used.

Their good against buildings, ok against infantry, can heal/repair, give ammo, and of course build stuff alot faster (Which is a given and good).

The one problem i got to say is..nader's suck at fighting infantry, ya fire a rocket directly at one of em and it doestn one hit kill em, yet the weapon can bust a heavy tank haul like a double layered tin can.

3. Alceister

Alceister Member

Prevents them from "Panzernoobing" though.

4. TK367

TK367 Member

.. <_< Then can we get alternative Nader weapons, seeing as its the only class without a SMG. Maby a smg pistol, or...say have the rocket/nade launcher in one part of the class weapon, and a light SMG in another selection for weps.

Pistol-SMG-Launcher/Nader- Mines.:D

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

yes right - why not remove everything from the game that could be a treat to you or your neat little base and instead implement a hippie class that have epic hug powah? :mad:

sry, this thread is ridiculous. dont make infantry worse then they are allready.

mayama is more than right, a team with 50% engis and 50% other classes, except scouts, will win ANY map vs. a team of 100% engineers, thats good and should stay this way.

i want to add, i think we might even need more experienced engineers, rather than have them nerfed. i have the feeling most skilled players stop playing engineer after some time and move to another class because they help the engineers more than they (the engineers) think.

the engineer is a very powerfull class, true. but against a rifleman at over close distance (~more than half the distance of xroads center) he stands little chance. and grenadiers simply suck at taking down buildings at closer ranges (except for 9mining, but it takes longer than nading them away), they realy need a buff.

the worst suggestion was taking away the ammobox, i mean, wth ... :pathetic:

in my eyes, engineers are both, builders and demolishers (aswell as medics but thats a different story), i cant see any problem with that. someone said, they can take down bases very fast. sure if the commander drops no turrets or noone killspawns when necessary. but once there are turrets u have time to killspawn and take down the engineer either as rifler, gren or even scunt, before they can wreck havoc.

to cut a long story short, imho, engineers are good as they are. sure an engi can be a lone wolf, but stand little chance against the other classes (except for scouts. but anyway usefull scouts have different target priorities than hiding somewhere with their fail rifle and try killing ppl, believe it or not ...)

ah and because someone wrote u should get away from skill (aiming).
    WTF, empires is still one part FPS! what do u want? beside having a wallhack (camera, mass targets), an aimbot too? that is absurd ... :eek:

sry for writing taht much, i wrote much more but stripped it so its still readable. ^^

6. Alceister

Alceister Member

Again, at long range, Engineers can raise cover. I've seen it done before. And they can do it fast enough. Just plop down an NF ammo box or turret, or if you're fast enough, a wall section.

And the ammo box is definitely imbalanced. The Engineer is the premier building demolisher already, but he can do it even faster and far better than any other class because he can replenish his ammo.

In fact close range is where Engineer suffers against Riflemen. But other than that, they eat Grenadiers alive (except at long range) and Scouts just simply fail unless unnoticed.

Engineer is the most adept out of all classes at clearing turrets, due to large Seismic Grenade AOE, and the fact that they simply can hop on top of the turret and disassemble it with their Tool.

Engineers are not in fact, "good as they are". Compared to everything else, they're "too good".

7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

This sir, is not true.

8. flasche

but u need the ammoz, where u think i get those ammoz?

comms often dont even think about dropping armories - dont ask me why, i try to drop one close to every rax ...
    ... and while u are under constant fire u cant build an armory.

nono ammoboxes are good, the nadespamming is only a problem when everyone hides in the barracks and repairs, instead of switching to rifle and just kill the engi.

but ok, maybe do it like in RTCW if u have to. but i fear i will never ever get ammoz then ...

9. Alceister

Alceister Member

It's mostly true. While the Engineers are cowering behind their cover a competent Grenadier would use his mortar to take out their turrets (and by extension, them) or them out behind the walls. At medium range a skilled Grenadier can get a nice hit with the mortar on them and finish them off with the pistol, but he's more likely to get mown down by the SMG once the Engineer gets closer. At closer ranges, Grenadier relies on luck.

And Scouts? Might be exaggerating there. But the Scout's chances of survival rely on being unnoticed.

10. flasche

add to previous post, maybe just dont let engis drop ammos in throwing distance to buildings ...

but seriously, i dont think seismic spam is a serious problem.

11. Alceister

Alceister Member

The first part is incomprehensible.

Coms don't drop armouries because APCs are more useful.

Well of course not, what point are you trying to make? That's why APCs are so much more useful.

The nadespamming is a problem when people are not around. Engineer Ramboes into unattended areas, destroys all turrets, and proceeds to demolish everything before anyone can be arsed to notice. Even when people are around it is a problem.

You mean Return to Castle Wolfenstein Enemy Territory? Either you don't play it enough, or don't play on the right servers. I don't usually have any ammo problems unless I go too far ahead alone.

What I mainly want to see is the Ammo Box dropping somehow separated from the Engineer, or requiring an Ability Slot.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  12. flasche

so u say i should build an apc worth some hundred bucks everytime i spawn and plan to go grenadiering, instead of having the comm drop an armory for 75 res which heals me faster, gives ammo, isnt destroyed after a time and usually is no primary target (as apcs or raxes because u can spawn in them)

i just dont agree on that, sure apcs are much more convenient u dont have to hold the use key ... but id rather save the money if i can have an armory.

also u can drop armories way before u get a vehicle factory.

and, since killspawning is common sense, if there are mg turrets covering either the rax or the way to it, u have more than enough time to intercept that sneaky engineer. the only problem with that is, everyone thinks he is the most important person in the game and if he killspawns the team will lose. from my experience its the exact opposite ...

yes i played et, but somehow i experienced far more teamplay than in empires. maybe because the maps are tighter and more linear idk. on open command maps, u sometimes find urself defending a position alone because everyone lurks arround somewhere else doing the most epic things ever (beware sarcasm!)

in empires i can simply spawn as engi, drop me an ammobox (if no armory is nearby), switch to whatever class is needed and defend that precious position till reinforcments arrive.

and sry, i only learned english my native language is german, so dont be to hard if my sentences have bad grammar, i only tried to be funny, i dont want to be too serious about a game ... :)

13. Alceister

Alceister Member

Yes, because APCs are far smaller targets than an Armoury or Barracks, and are MOBILE. That means you can spawn closer to the enemy. The only real usefulness of Armouries only becomes apparent if the enemy is at your front door with tanks.

APCs are far more useful, because it gives you a ride and lets you reload in the field. So what if you can drop armouries before you can get vehicle factories? Armouries are utterly useless until you enter the "Combat phase", by then you should have a factory up.

You really have no idea how fast Engineers can destroy turrets do you. More often than not you have more important things to do. Plus 5 people killspawning just to kill an Engineer is a waste of tickets.

ET has its own problems (Field Ops, stupidly overpowered), but at least every infantry class got some equal play.

14. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I stopped reading after this sentence.

Alceister, do you read anything anyone has said in this post?

When you post, do so with an open mind. I understand that sometimes people feel like others just don't get what they are saying, but when 3/4's of the posts (you having 1/4 of the posts) say that engineers really aren't as strong as you seem to think, engineers quite possibly aren't as strong as you seem to think.

also, APC's have an eighth the HP of an armory. Putting down an armory also sends a very clear message to the enemy that you are staking a claim in the area. APC's are mobile, so you need to just scare them off. Armories have more of the Umph impact that you need. They also allow engineers to quickly switch classes to riflemen or gren to quickly take out either a tank threat or an infantry threat ( Riflemen for stickies, Gren for Mowtar ^_^)

15. Alceister

Alceister Member

Seems what we have here is a failure to communicate.

What I meant by the reduction is that Dig In is only useful against infantry. Going prone to get any bonus explosive reduction is going to get you run over or gunned down by vehicles before you can get into range to lob a sticky at it.

Yes, the possibility exists. However what the majority thinks is not always right.

Anyways, my point about Engineers being overused (as is the thread title) is still valid. Time and time again I have exhaustively posted the same arguments and nobody has come up with any reasonable counters to them.

While the armoury is definitely more static, it is also much more of a defensive structure than anything. Otherwise there isn't much use to them. The APC is much smaller than the armoury or Barracks. That means you can go and drive it to a relatively discreet place, and wall up one hemisphere of it. An APC is much better overall simply because it can transport and spawn at the front lines, as well as replenish ammo and health wherever whenever. Hence why I suggested the "Advanced Infantry Equipment" to get more use out of armouries.

16. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Every rifleman should be bitchslapped if he uses dig-in

Armorys are awesome, I always want armorys close to me

Armorys and APC are not compareable because you use them for different things

Cool, comms "grow" armorys and barrackses like mushrooms in a wet cellar

BESIDE THAT,
    ALL YOUR POSTS SOUND LIKE POSTS OF SOMEONE,
    NEW TO THE MOD, THAT THINKS HE KNOWS EVERYTHING
    BEST AND IT HAS TO BE CHANGED.
    THAT MAYBEE, THOSE THINGS, ARENT AS YOU SEE THEM.
    IS SOMETHING THAT DOESNT SEEM TO COME TO YOUR MIND.

If you use, for example, the wrong rifleman skills or
    dont know why or where you have to drop armorys
    doesnt mean its useless/underpowered. It just means
    you are dont play the game long enough to understand...

17. Alceister

Alceister Member

I've played the game enough to understand alot of things.

First of all, somebody a few pages back suggested that Riflemen get a bonus explosive reduction with Dig-In. I was trying to point out the flaws in that. Going prone against vehicles is suicide, and even against mortars, is plain pointless.

A forward Barracks might be nice early game, but later on unless you've got a factory elsewhere other than your main base you don't see them built that often.

More often than not, Armouries have more of a defensive purpose. That is, if you're being attacked by tanks, you rush in, change class to Grenadier and try to hit them with the rockets. Armouries are usually only useful if established in a base.

Anyways, we're getting side-tracked here. THIS IS AN "ENGINEERS ARE OVERUSED" TOPIC.

And maybe you should consider the possibility that you are too set to the "Old Ways" to see any new means of improving the game. I'm getting the feeling that you're simply being antagonistic because I'm a new member and I've posted this many suggestions so far. Some of them aren't good I admit, but this game is in fact, still in need of improvement, and I believe you can at least acknowledge that.

18. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Armories are also insanely cheap at 75 res. Even an APC with plain armor costs more than that, and if you want decent armor + engine it can come to significantly more.

And an armory automatically regenerates the ammo of any tanks in a fairly decent radius, which can be useful. While, yes, engie crates do the same thing, it can still be worth placing armories at key places so engineers don't have to get out and other people don't have to find an engineer (this is especially true when using weapons with low ammo, like HE -- with those, an engineer can actually use ammo faster than they can drop boxes to recover it.)

Finally, an armory lets you change classes. This can be non-trivial; I've often taken advantage of them to rapidly switch to grenadier and rocket-snipe/mortar distant targets, then switched back to engineer to build things or whatever.

For 75 res, it's a pretty good deal. And they're surprisingly tough, too -- every second your opponents waste pounding on your cheap, expendable armory is one less second they're spending hitting your refs, VF, tanks, or other more high-value targets.

19. Alceister

Alceister Member

Also I've made the point that armouries are more or less defensive, which kinda restricts their versatility. Don't got nothing against them, but there is not much point in building an armoury in the middle of nowhere if required, whereas you can drive an APC to the middle of nowhere and then leave as soon as people get off.

We're getting away from the point though. For vehicles, engineers are their own mechanics and quartermasters. For a class that's supposed to build things they're remarkably self-sufficient. I'd rather that at least a new class or two be created, if only to take away the Ammo Crate and Healing capabilities of Engineers.

20. flasche

u know, i go that far to build armories for people somewhere arround the map if they did usefull things and got hurt. for 75 resources most of the time nothing is wasted ...

3 seismic nades ... if they hit ... same as mowtar shells, only that u can throw them faster than a gren can even reload once :rolleyes:

anyway, u are right when u say engineers are overused - ppl should use other classes too, infact this is necessary (doesnt count for scouts). but i guess that is not because the engineer is the most powerfull class, thats mainly because every newbie got yelled at to be engineer instead of scunt.