Engineers are Overused.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Alceister, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Inside

Inside Member

I would say he's a fairly high quality troll at that! Almost a whole month and going :p

2. Alceister

Alceister Member

How about this. If you really want to prove I'm a troll, how about drudging through my posts, and then presenting your case to the forum admins. If I'm as bad as you think I am, I should be gone within a week. Or maybe I am a new breed of troll, The High-Class Troll. My spelling is impeccable, my vocabulary expansive, and grammar is somewhat of an optional, but then again it always is on the Internet. I submit decent posts that come with actual opinions. I don't think I'm utterly retarded. Maybe a bit precocious and arrogant, but certainly not a child. I need a bit of a shave. I have studied firearms and history extensively, and can hold my own in science, geography, literature and pretty much anything else under the sun.

This forum might need an introductions sub-forum, incidentally.

I am simply an ideas man. I have an opinion on pretty much everything and I'm overflowing with suggestions for this game. Don't like suggestions? Close the damn thread down.

And Inside, I prefer the term high quality spam projector.

And once again my beautiful thread has been diverted from its original purpose. It may be time to break out the padlock and chain.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Happy? we went back to your Op and gave you reasons that you NEVER EVER gave us good counter arguments for. You seem to be complaining about the engineer being to used, but i think it's more that the engineer is the easiest class to master. Really now, a person who's mastered the Grenadier class or the Riflemen class can be just as over powered, but those classes take some getting used to, and as much as I hate to say it, they also require a bit of skill to figure out. That is why the engineer is most often chosen IMO.

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

First, i'll address this:

Please...It hurts me when you make a post like this. Repair Upgrade is the most incredibly overpowering facet of the engineer and you ignore it? Do you know, a refinery takes more than twice as long to build without this upgrade? (almost 3x as long actually) Forward raxes built by commanders and even infantry would fail and be destroyed without this upgrade! This upgrade makes it possible for an engineer to build a structure while that structure is under fire!

A single engineer building a structure with one grenadier shooting at it, will almost always win with this upgrade. The grenadier does not have an inexhaustable source of ammo, the engineer does - in his tool. You should try building something with and without the upgrade and then see how much it changes the game. This, above all things, leads me to believe you either don't play the game enough, or don't care about game mechanics when you make your posts.

An engineer with the repair upgrade will typically rack up points TWICE as fast as any other class, which is why it's almost always the best thing to take immediately, instead of revive (unless you are on an infantry map). In fact, it's usually quite advantageous to be an engineer through the first five minutes of the game, because of this.

The reason engineers are overpowered is because they are the only self-sufficient class. I'm surprised you didn't come out and just say this, but I guess it hasn't twigged with you yet.

No, you're not a troll, and that's not a new breed of troll. That is the oldest archetype in the book - the arrogant individual, who doesn't believe anyone else can say anything of value. Trolls are different in that they say things to specifically caused uproar, when they themselves believe differently - they do it for fun. You say things that are phrased as questions, but when you get the answers from multiple sources, you discount them.

I don't know if you believe you are merely talking to the 'unwashed masses' or if, in fact, our opinions just don't matter to you. Personally, I don't understand why so many intelligent individuals feel the need to prove themselves by offending people. From my viewpoint, especially on a forum - a place for discussion, the worst thing you can do is disregard someone elses opinion out of hand.

You may be wondering why you have accrued so much abuse and why people don't seem very friendly towards you on these forums. I don't know what you came up with, but let me tell you now that it is because you show people the ultimate disrespect by ignoring them.

5. Alceister

Alceister Member

In some ways, I was trying to say something about "self-sufficiency". I think I said it somewhere, but mostly I was referring to the fact that they are overused because they can do so much compared to other classes. Anyways, I've never precisely ignored repair upgrade. In my Original post, or somewhere in this topic, I've suggested that it should be tuned down to 1.5x. I'm actually getting the impression that while others accuse me of not reading their posts, nobody is paying particular attention to any of mine. If anyone bothers to back-track through the topic, you'll find that people continually misunderstand whatever I post.

Let me get a few points straight. I do actually trawl through god-awful long searches and topics to read over everyone's opinion. If I completely disregard anything anyone has said, it's because everyone has said it before, I've probably already said something on the topic, whatever.

Anyways, here's another few proposals, might as well make this thread relevant:

- Any Engineer action requires "Materials". That is, instead of spamming turrets and walls, and placing ammo crates every once in awhile, he can only do a certain number of things depending on the "Materials" he has at hand. To refill Materials, he has to use a special ammo crate, or hop into an APC.

- Instead of plopping down an ammo crate, he drops packets of ammo. Each packet might contain like 12 pistol ammo, and for Rifleman, 30-40 bullets, 1 grenade. Dropping the packets would cost Engineer tool charge.

6. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

EVERY THREAD THAT YOU MAKE, EVERY SUGGESTION THAT
    YOU POST IS MADE LIKE ONE MILLION TIMES BEVOR.

7. Alceister

Alceister Member

Believe it or not, I do trawl through search forums to see if anyone has ever mentioned some of the things I've said. On some of them they have, but in a different way.

Anyways I'm going to have to request a lock for this thread.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yes, i've seen that. The thing you have to understand about this forum is you start with zero credit. People won't really pay attention to you until you've been around and posted intelligently before. In your case, you did that for a while, but then you've made topics such as this one, where you seem to disregard some opinions, or rather don't respond to arguments against.

It's not really your fault, I assume you didn't know what a hot topic this was, because it's been discussed hundreds of times and people have wracked their brains for the answers for a long time. So when you fail to answer the arguments with counter-arguments, it does pretty much feel like a shun - after all, if you can't counter the argument and yet still push your p.o.v...well, that doesn't make much sense, does it?

I like the materials idea actually, it ties the engineer to the team the way the rest of the team is tied to ammo. Ofc, it is pretty outlandish and you'd probably need a complete framework demonstrating how it would fit into the rest of the game; - for instance (and these are just ideas), if you have engies able to drop a crate that will give them "materials" ammo, but give everyone else normal ammunition, that would work, but you'd have to start the engy off with more smg ammo to begin with. [The reason i've nerfed ammo here, is if the engy gets seismics from his crate, he can nade spam and won't bother to de-engy/build a ml turret to take the building down - like what happens now.] And if you say something like 6 walls or two structures is the limit before you need to refil on engy ammo - so 3 walls = 1 structure like a camera or a turret, that could also work.

Er...I think i've gone off on a tangent here actually...this seems more about ammo than anything :rolleyes:

The second idea, I won't really go into, because although packets costing engy ammo are a good idea, it will need modelling...Well actually, it's not really a good idea, because packets can't be shared, so you will end up with people walking over the packets that don't need ammo, while the person who needs it gets nothing. We want the engy to be support, but not have to wait until everyone gets out of the way to place some ammo...and then have an ammo rush :p

9. Empty

Empty Member

I'm still freaked out by people who call me a troll.

I've just spent to much time on facepunch so I'm used to making shitloads of posts.

Oh god, that makes me feel proud and ashamed at the same time.

10. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Three things that rot your mind:

Empires
    Facepunch
    4chan

11. Empty

Empty Member

I couldn't agree more.

Facepunch is good for keeping up to date with interesting stuff though.
    I stay in general discussion nowadays. Maybe a bit in the video games section if I have a game being discussed.

And I've been to 4chan. It's funny, rarely, and you can spend hours trudging through shit and never find anything good.

Rotted mind ftw.