Empires World Map suggestion.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Chahk, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Bitchslap - What we have in place right now is that the defender's advantage is to get to choose BE/NF

MOOtant, I'm not sure but you might be the only one that would rather see WIN:LOSS ratios computed instead of playing a gameboard. You sure you'd rather do that?

As far as the sealinks --> They are just cosmetic. They connect our port cities to other port cities. As long as there is at least 1 connection between territories, an army can move between them

2. arklansman

arklansman Member

I told him that yesterday, but noooooooo! :rolleyes:

3. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

err the blue only has 3 maps on that map, the others have four

4. arklansman

arklansman Member

The territories will not be like that, as we've said before.

If there are 3 clans then there will be 9 territories.
    4 clans = 8 territories
    5 clans = 10 territories

They will be chosen randomly, and will (probably) not be next to each other.

5. Chahk

Chahk Member

Map looks purty :)

So is anyone interested in working on that web page idea this was originally about before the league shamelessly hijacked the thread? :p

PsychoStats is the plugin I was talking about. Without any customization at all it works pretty well with Empires. You don't get any detailed player stats, but they are not needed anyways. All we need is current map and winner (NF or BE) of previous maps since the map cycle start.

PsychoStats runs on MySQL back-end, so the query to pull that should be quite simple. I'm still ruffling through their documentation to figure out the data structure so that I can put together the stored proc, but that's all the easy part. The hard part (at least for me, probably peanuts for a competent web dev) is building the page itself to get the data, parse it and display appropriate overlays on the map image.

What do you guys think? ASP or PHP?

6. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  7. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Not win:|oss ratios but points. I may be the only one who says that publicly but that doesn't mean that no one else has my opinion. If you would make a vote (probably new topic too) it would be better.

And it's not only about what you see but that it limits your freedom of choosing maps (for example I want to win on canyon 2 times).

8. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

So 1 clan almost won entire map (played on good maps like canyon, isle, duststorm) and the other clan has only oasis left. 1st clan doesn't like to play oasis but they have to and 2nd clan doesn't have any choice either (they just got oasis from the start).

Let's assume that all clans receive 1 map from the start (I'm not sure about rules) then they still have to play maps hated by them.

9. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Maybe clans could make one map of their own, their base, and let the map be tested by a neutral level designer for secret areas and bugs, that may make playing it hard.
    If the clan doesn't have anybody to make the map, a neutral level designer could make one, but that person couldn't test the map then.
    Bribing level designers should be reported immediatly.

10. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

That sounds like an awesome idea!

Stu's our man!

11. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Access to the VMF would also have to be required. I know all kinds of nasties that I could hide away in a BSP...

Home bases is a pretty cool idea though. Maybe to make it totally fair every clan base should be based on the same template, with only cosmetic changes. I would hate for certain teams to gain an advantage just because they have a clever mapper on board.

12. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

That is a cool idea. Wanna make the map Solo?

13. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I'm not at home right now, i probably won't be until sunday evening, so i can only start on that kind of a thing on monday. If you can wait until then, i have a good idea for a map. I can do a black and white drawing.

14. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

We certainly can wait until then. Please make it a Classic map and only give the defending team a base.

EDIT: And coffeeburrito has gotten the flash to overlay the topography and read hex from mysql (so we can have clans submit the color they want to be!): http://kefield.ca/test/map3.html

Don't know why he picked pastels to test with

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  15. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

[​IMG]
    What do you think?
    The dotted parts are open areas for moving in and out of the base, with catwalks on top of them.

16. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

It would be super cool if that building in the middle was taller than the outer wall like a keep in a castle so defenders could shoot down from it. What style of map is it? Can you make the buildings look like concrete bunkers and the surrounding land be SLAUGHTERED green?

Looks good. A Moat?

What would the rest of the map be like? Forested? Mountainy? Watery?

Artillery need to be able to be utilized by the attacking force to make the defenders leave their base to secure victory.

EDIT: Can it have a prebuilt rax, vf, armory, repair pad in the base?

17. arklansman

arklansman Member

Looks a lot like crossroads TBH. :(

lulz

18. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

It will be up to solokiller to make sure it doesnt look like it. I know HL2 doesnt render trees very well, but it would cool to have it surrounded by a forest to cover the advance of the attackers (kinda like Last Of The Mohicans).

Perhaps we can have three versions of it (I know this might be hard).

A green one, a snow one, and a desert one? To position throughout the map latitudinally.

19. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

We can add a star to the "Home Base Territory" for each clan, indicating that after that map is taken, you still need to beat their base to kill them.

20. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

make one map, agree on the layout, and then texture it differently depending on it's location.