Empires World Map suggestion.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Chahk, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

That's fair enough. In that case, I think you're making the right decision by waiting for more official maps. I think this is something mappers should pay attention to: clearly more classic maps are required.

Suggested changes to the current layout:
    - Railroad-slaughtered has two connections. Does this mean something, or was it just a mistake?
    - Remove the slaughtered-SoF link.
    - Remove the red on the central continent, connect it to crossroads.
    - Add a cyclopean-mvalley/railroad link (the world is round, right?)

2. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

The seaways that shinzon added were purely aesthetic. Only need one to attack the next territory, so multiple seaways doesnt change anything.

We are going to remove RAILROAD because it is one-sided and LAST CITY because of numerous objections. So, depending on the number of clans we get during the season, we will use almost all official maps.

For example:
    3 clans = 9 maps
    4 clans = 8 maps
    5 clans = 10 maps

3. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

30 clans = 100 maps?

IMHO that's just a stupid idea that requires a lot of work to be done and even then it won't be better.

4. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

?? What is a stupid idea?

With 30 clans we would break it into 5 divisions of 6 clans. Each division would have a gameboard

5. Caelo

Caelo Member

and then move the winners up for a new 5 clan division ;)

6. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Now that would be wicked. I get more excited every day.

7. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

What I don't like:

1. You have to play all the maps to gain whole "scoreboard". Maps are chosen by some random league admins. If I would play in a clan I wouldn't want to have to play some random map just because someone said so (for example both clan leaders hate that map) I wouldn't say that clan is bad just because they win on canyon, duststorm, isle and mvalley but don't like oasis and other not tested maps. Even if list would only contain good official maps I wouldn't like having to play on all the maps.

2. I don't get why make a map at all if you want to split it.

3. Updating the map is an effort.

4. It's not a massive space conquest game but normal RTS. Natural way to play that game is to play specific map. Maps aren't linked one to another in game so they shouldn't be in league.

8. arklansman

arklansman Member

1. You don't have to play all the maps. The other maps are publicly availible for the clans to go play on.

2. What?

3. Oh no! Two minutes in photoshop! That's if you're really bad.

4. What does this have to do with a massive space conquest game? The maps aren't linked to a big tournament bracket either.

9. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

1. Yes you have to play all the maps to win the season. That's the point. Global Domination means you control all of the territories.

When territories are originally divided up, it isn't just some league admin assigning them. As it says on the league site, all participating clans will send a clan representative to the pre-season mtg in the League IRC room and they will "roll" the IRC dice to randomly select (1) a clan turn order (2) the territories they will start with.

2. What good is a map that has no divisions? That is just one big landmass blob.

3. Updating the map takes very little effort. I will do it, so don't worry about it.

4. It's true that maps aren't linked together in normal gameplay. We aren't trying to continue on with normal gameplay.

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I say: remove ALL the sea links. if that means that some times, if clans are attacking, they have only two attacks? so be it. they're gunna have to capture that land in the end anyway.

11. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

We obviously can't remove ALL of the sea links or Isle would be cut off from the rest of the territories :D But I like your idea.

12. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Ok, I've updated the map to try to fix some concerns with it.

1. Removed RAILROAD and LAST CITY

2. MOVED barren maps to NE because on emp map NE is supposed to be shitty

3. MOVED DUSTSTORM to center of continent instead of peninsula

4. MOVED the green maps to the W and NW

http://league.empiresmod.com/League-Updated.png

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

wow that is really great!

awesome!

14. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

15. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

That's my point. I can still see maps on this map that I wouldn't ever use for a clan match. I don't remember any league/ladder in popular game that would use something like that. It's just ridiculous. Clan leaders decide what map they want to play. They shouldn't have to choose some random map (or map hated by both) just because some other clan leaders decided so. You're taking away basic freedom that clan leaders have in every ladder that I know.

If you'll still insist to keep this idea implemented in league, well we can make another league. :) I'm sure that some people would prefer ladder without any weird domination maps.

Whether you make cool map or how you'll choose maps: it doesn't really matter.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  16. Caelo

Caelo Member

dude the clan whose turn it is to attack decides what map that clan is going to attack. The defenders need to defend. So basically the attacking clan will choose what map to play on and which other clan will play that week.
    so basically no random map and
    no map hated by both clan leaders

I think you need to reread the rules mootant..

17. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

That's the best yet, but you still have 3 sea links between slaughtered and canyon :dead_nf:

18. Caelo

Caelo Member

and 2 between isle and oasis
    but who cares? It just looks so much better like this :P (try removing those links in your head ;))

19. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

i think the limitation on what territories a clan can attack IS the idea. It adds more strategic planning to your global domination. If you can play any map anywhere anytime its the same as joining the server when you see a map you like abd it doesn't really test a clan's overall abilities. Some people play the same map over n over and if we want to have a true 'league competitive' structure then you have to make tough decisions and win the maps that you suck at.

Btw, as a concept (i'm sure lots won't like this but...)

What if NF is always the attacker and BE is always the defender? Or Viceversa, that way there's no issues whatsoever about who plays as who and besides NF models and vehicles all seem to be more of 'raider' / invader look to them and BE is more equipped.

OR

Even better would be that when you attack a territory as 'NF'. When you are attacked there you must defend as NF. IF you could find a way to store that data so that its more realistic and it never needs to be determined except when you are attacking.

only problem is we cant have a NF/NF game can we?....hmmm bummer.

20. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

So far no clan came foward opposed to this idea...