Empires video quality on youtube

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Silk, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Silk

Silk Mapper

91%

Yeah i might have the quality too high ;)

But ... youtube ain't complaining, so ... it's going up there in all it's size

2. Silk

Silk Mapper

3. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

4.7GB for 15:37 minutes of AVC video? That's beyond high quality, that's just placebo level quality. Shit, 2GB of 20 minutes of 1080p AVC is placebo. You've gone beyond placebo.

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Sounds like it's been like formatted for DVD or something, since 4.7 GB is exactly what single-layer DVDs can store.

5. complete_

complete_ lamer

youtube has a 15 minute limit?

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I regularly watch videos from this guy who records DayZ, and his videos are regularly 20-30 minutes.

7. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

8. Silk

Silk Mapper

If your video's are popular and you have a lot of followers, you can request the possibility to add longer and bigger video's

And concerning the quality, i'm not satisfied with the quality of this vid on youtube.

Question: if you compress the vid with x264, but the audio is mp3 (that's how the source engine compresses audio), will youtube recompress both video and audio when it converts the mp3 to aac-lc ?

I used ratefactor 24 for this, with 1 being best quality and 51 being the worst, so it's just an average setting ... 1,67 GB for 14:30 minutes
    The 4,7 GB file for 15:30 minutes was with ratefactor 16

But the duststorm file with factor 16 looks good on youtube, while the quality in the new one sucks

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  9. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

im going to youtube some gaming videos too. it will involve gaming and my dog =).... i hope i can be a youtooob partner.

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

originally there was no limit and those old accounts didnt get limited. at least i read that somewhere ...

11. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

I think all accounts have a 15 minute limit until you get a certain number of views on a video. After I posted a video that got 41k views my limit was removed.

As for YouTube video quality, I've found that quality actually goes down at excessively high bitrates. It seems to trigger YouTube to recompress the video. That's why I leave the encoding settings at default in Avidemux.

12. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I doubt it, but you really should just manually recompress the audio yourself and save yourself any hassle. The less you leave to the YouTube transcoder, the better you can predict the end result to be.

CRF 16 is used for like 1080p Blu-Ray rips. 24 is what's generally used for 480p DVD rips. 18-20 is what I see used for 720p rips, depending on the ripper.

Are you encoding 1080p or 720p? Gaming videos almost never actually need full-blown 1080p except for like paid-professional trailers and very artistic games, neither of which Empires are.

13. Silk

Silk Mapper

1080p - i like texture detail

I've been reading about uploading to youtube all day, and apparantly youtube will ALWAYS reencode your files. I put 4 vids on youtube today, all with different quality settings, but youtube compressed all of them to the same quality.

3 of the 4 had all the settings youtube itself recommends: H264, AAC-LC, CABAC, 2 B-frames, ...
    3 of the 4 where done with virtualdub, the fourth with Sony Vegas Pro 11

Sizes of the 4 files range from 110 MB to 226 MB.

While the video's after uploading them to youtube do have small differences (mainly darkness of the colours), the overal quality is the same for all 4.

I'm gonna check the duststorm vid to see how that one behaves

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  14. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

Does anyone have experience with making webcam reaction + gaming videos? Like you record your game play, but at a corner of the screen you'd have a webcam recording you.

I am thinking of doing gaming videos and it involves my dog ^^... lolz

15. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Use Vimeo, ignore the failtube. Youtube listens to request of every troll that says "OMFG copyright infringement" and MIGHT put your videos back or might just tell you to gtfo.

16. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Apparently vimeo doesn't like games, I didn't know that. :)

17. Silk

Silk Mapper

Also i have my youtube account linked to steam, so if i make a decent movie at some point it can be added to the Empires gamehub, visible for all steam users.

Not that the gamehub is easy to find ... from within the steam store you can only access the Empires community hub, which leads you to HL2 related stuff. Unless you manually type "empires" in the game hub search box in the community section, new people will never find it.

But still, i guess it's somewhat usefull that steam can link with youtube

18. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

Used fraps... recording at full size at 30 FPS results in such a big file. It is roughly 1 GB per 20 seconds. 3 GB for 1 minute. Average Video is like 10minutes, that is 30 GB lol.

Recording at 1440 x 900 resolution.

I used sony vegas pro 12 to render it a 3 gb file to 128 mb file as 1028p. lol youtube probably wont accept a 30 GB (after render 1.28gb video...)

So how big are your guy's files? Like for 10minutes and how logn does it take for ya'll to upload to youtube?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  19. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

My files are about 400 MB for 20 minutes at 720p compressed using MPEG-4 AVC.

20. Silk

Silk Mapper

I have put over 20 video's online (with private setting) to test the best setting

The test video was 2 minutes long

Sizes from all 20 version varied between 80 MB to 1 GB, but the output on youtube was pretty much equally ugly for all 20. Some had VBR, some used ratefactor, i changed the reference frames, number of B frames, GOP amount, ...

It all looks horrible.

As long as the camera doesn't move, all is perfect though.

Also i recorded my own maps, just for nostalgia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6pIz-BN3W0&feature=plcp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hRqZAlag1E&feature=plcp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTNlA0jgV9g&feature=plcp