Empires Tutorial Videos - Community Effort

Discussion in 'General' started by BitterJesus, May 22, 2009.

1. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

OK, post for edit, gonna do rifleman, also ty ikalx.

EDIT1: Ikalx, make it so that it's one script, don't separate it. Try to blend in the equipment and skills and such.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  2. spellman23

spellman23 Member

ty. fixed.

Ikalx, you have way better formal language than me man. Just a few personal edits to bring it back down to layman's terms.

Personally I like the subdivision. It covers the three major aspects in a clear and concise way. However, another approach would be sub-divide by playstyle. A sniper build, a sabotage build, and the tank stuff.

3. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

We're doing this for the scripts, so separating them now makes no sense. We just need paragraphs and some distinction, but directly separating them creates a clear difference, whereas we want to make the tutorial smooth and a part of the whole.

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I just added those headings right before I posted, to improve readability. They're not supposed to be read out.

Thanks. Somehow I got into that mode today, so it came out like that, but it's probably not as easy to understand as it is when written colloquially. Meh :p

I'll make those corrections tomorrow Edit: or right now ^^. Also, "her" was because I was going to write his and had no way out of it (they/it didn't work), then thought about the benefits of using her - e.g. a subtle swing making empires look more female friendly, and...not using "his" all the time :p

Oh and lol@saboutage :p

5. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

2c- Rifleman rundown, importance on the battlefield, role, gameplay tips, identification
    2d- Rifleman specific skills

Rifleman is the main anti-infantry class. Rifleman's weapons are mainly focused on causing damage to players directly exposed to gunfire. The first weapon choice is an automatic rifle which deals increased damage suited for short to medium range combat. The second choice is a medium to long range rifle that deals more damage, but is semi-automatic. The machine gun is meant to provide suppressive fire to prevent the enemy from moving up, as well as cause devastating damage in close range combat. Keep it mind that if not in prone position, the machine gun will not function as it was meant to, creating a lot of recoil. The rifleman has 2 types of grenades available. Explosive grenades are meant for entrenched and infantry constantly remaining in one spot. They can, however, be used against structures and to a weaker effect against static vehicles. Sticky grenades are the anti-vehicle alternative to the explosive grenades. They stick to vehicles that they are thrown at, and detonate after a few seconds. They can also be used against infantry and structures, but the range of the throw is very short, thus weakening their effect.

Rifleman has 3 class specific skills. Dig in detracts some damage from the health bar to the stamina meter when in prone or crouching position. Improved Rifle Damage increases damage dealt by Pistols and Rifles by 10%. Improved Vehicle Damage increases damage dealt by vehicle weapons against the enemy by 10%.

EDIT1:

I know that we're only in the concept stage, but I really wish you guys would refrain from opinionated advice. Saying things like interesting, important, valuable in a sense of subjective entities is opinionated.

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Not really BJ, it's constructed to make the watcher more involved in what is being said and to provide dynamic insight. It's the method of making the scripting more interesting for the listener, which is very important when conveying information.

When I say the scout has some interesting skills, it is merely an observation because they are dynamic and show different features rather than just being buffs. Most of what is written isn't an opinion at all, it's just that different words are being used to prevent repetition.

Reviewing your post...more to come.

Edit: This is just a little modification, but I kinda lost focus half way through, so it may be imperfect to say the least.

7. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

What we want the player to see is pure information, making his decisions by himself. Think of this as writing a report. You are simply stating what needs to be known.

8. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

A bunch of stuff removed, some fixed, some spelling and grammar mistakes fixed, some added.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It's almost like you rewrote the whole thing. If you wanted to do it yourself, you only had to say so, you know.

If you're going for a completely minimal "i'll pretty much write what the hints say on the weapons and skills in-game already" approach, i'm not sure if you really need the class tutorials tbh. And i'm afraid I don't see how replacing the simple "works to disable" with an explanation of the overheat function really reduces the amount of text, and makes the script shorter..?

On the one hand you want it shorter, and on the other hand some things that probably aren't that necessary were added. I will change it because this is your project, but I do think you're being a little incongruous with this. Your segment does not look like you took a lot of time writing it either, really :(

10. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

You need to keep in mind that we need to make the videos short. If you've missed beerdudes post, if this ends up well the videos will be in the mod.

We want to cut as much as we can, but expose all the required information.
    If we were to make tutorial videos for a retail game, opinionated statements would be out of the question. Let's keep some professionalism here.

Also, I need the help because I can't write them by myself. It's a lot a easier to edit because I know what you've missed and what I would have missed if I wrote it myself.

11. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Strae And Hsm, Where Art Thou?

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yes, I already understood that. However, I don't completely agree. But that's okay, we can do it the minimalist way...only makes it easier for me ^^

13. spellman23

spellman23 Member

More like he just took all your good important phrases and re-packaged them. =]

It does feel a little slim, but I think it's OK. However, the detail describing Hide seems a bit strong considering the speed we go over everything else.

I personally think a little opinion and "advice" is a good thing. It makes the viewer feel like they got bonus info. However, we do have to keep away from blatant opinions like "Scouts are the best class" or something like that. But, opinions on things like an effective combo, while they may be an opinion, sometimes seem obvious to the experienced and not to the new player. For example, advising and Engineer to take Repair Upgrade as their first skill in Classic mode. Opinion, but useful.

14. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

is it too late to edit?

15. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

not that it matters because this is a script (and it might just be an american thing) but i spellchecked all the "sabotage" words in your post (the red lines from firefox drive me nuts)

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Ah, i'm sorry..I was meant to replace it all with BJ's post, except it was late :/

I'll see if those mistakes are still here.

Btw BJ...in what way is "The scout is the all around support class." true?

Ah...reading it now, some of it's wrong.

Modified a little bit...wait, I didn't think Hidden scouts could be detected by cameras?!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  17. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Edits in.

Note that even if I "incorporated" you edits, re-read just in case I vetoes or did something slightly different.

18. spellman23

spellman23 Member

I think they do.... to a server to try it out!

So, what are we gonna do about the missing parts?

19. Etep_ScUD

Etep_ScUD Member

I'd like to help, so, I can be a cameraman, I guess.

20. communism

communism poof

Cameras do target hidden scouts IIRC
    Radar stealth however doesn't do anything unless your driving a vehicle