Empires Tutorial Videos - Community Effort

Discussion in 'General' started by BitterJesus, May 22, 2009.

1. Mashav

Mashav Member

Cameras don't.

2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

That's what I thought...putting down a camera doesn't stop you getting sticky stunned, just mined. It's also the reason the only way to spot an enemy scout is with enhanced senses, right?

3. communism

communism poof

Ahhh okay
    I knew they did during some point in time...

4. spellman23

spellman23 Member

In the interim while we wait for our other script people, I've made a little Engi script.
    EDIT1: Rego's additions
    EDIT2: BJ's stuff w/ tweaks
    EDIT3: mr_quackums edits w/ tweaks of my own

1c- Engi rundown, importance on the battlefield, role, gameplay tips, identification
    1d- Engi specific skills

The Engineer is the builder and medic of Empires and recommended class for beginners. Engineers are lightly equipped with a choice from two submachine guns, a pistol, and Seismic grenades, special grenades that do signficant damage only to buildings. He is also equipped with a Builder Tool, commonly called the Calculator or Engi tool. When in use it allows you to repair buildings and vehicles, heal, and potentially revive teammates. Unlike other classes, Engineer builds with the Engineer tool instead of the USE button, albeit with a faster build time. The tool can also be used to heal vehicles, buildings, and other players. With the tool out you can right-click to build your own buildings. You can build turrets, walls, sentry buildings, or drop an ammo box. You can only have a certain number of each of these buildings and only one ammo crate at a time, so if you need to recycle your buildings, right-click on them and select Recycle with your tool. Ammos boxes have a cool down timer. You are limited to one turret and one piece of surveillance at a time until you get to rank 4 (40 points). Then you can have two of each. You can also use your tool on enemy structures and vehicles deconstructing them for twice the normal energy cost of working on friendly buildings and vehicles. This is epsecially important for walls they are nearly impervious to cannons and missiles.

In Classic Mode, the most popular Engineer skill is the Repair upgrade. It doubles your effectiveness when building, repairing, and deconstructing. The Healing Upgrade similarly boosts healing speed. With the Revive skill, when you see a dead teammate's corpse run up to it and use your tool on them with left click. (in vid you will see icon, show a revive) They will revive with full health and won't use up a reinforcement ticket. This costs half the max energy from your tool. When turrets are placed by an engineer, they are originally Level 1 turrets, but they can be upgraded to Level 2 and Level 3 turrets if you take the Turret Upgrade skill. Turrets must be rebuilt after each upgrade in order to be functional or upgraded to a higher level. Vehicle Cooling increases the rate of heat dissipation while in a vehicle by 10%.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  5. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

Mudkipz.

6. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

OK, I've been trying to get ahold of the other 2 guys, but alas, no success. So here's the plan:

Spellman you do engineer (I'll edit some stuff for your post)
    Ikalx (on hold)
    Me (on hold)

7. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

2a- Engi rundown, importance on the battlefield, role, gameplay tips, identification
    2b- Engi specific skills

The Engineer is the medic and builder of Empires. Engineer is equipped with 2 SMGs, a standard pistol and seismic grenades which only damage structures. Engineers main device is the building tool, commonly referred to as the calculator or Engi tool. When in use, it allows you to repair, revive or heal teammates. Unlike other classes, Engineer can only build with the Engineer tool, the advantage of which is faster build time. Right clicking while using the engineer tool brings up the menu which allows you to build turrets, surveillance structures, walls or drop ammo crates. You can only have a certain number of each of these buildings, so if you need to recycle your buildings, right-click on them and select Recycle with your tool. You are limited to one turret and one surveillance structure until you get to 40 rank points when . You can also use your tool on enemy structures deconstructing them for twice the normal energy cost.

The first Engineer skill is the Repair upgrade. It doubles your construction and repair speed. Healing upgrade has the same function but is aimed towards infantry . With the revive skill, if a teammate dies outside of the vehicle hull, you can come up to his body, which is identified by an icon on the screen, and revive him. They will spawn on the spot of the revival with full health and won't use up a reinforcement ticket. This uses up half of your total charge . When turrets are placed by an engineer, they are originally Level 1 turrets, but they can be upgraded to Level 2 and Level 3 turrets with a Turret Upgrade. Turrets must be fully built after each upgrade in order to be functional or upgraded to a higher level. Vehicle Cooling increases the rate of heat dissipation of vehicles by 10%.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  8. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Ikalx, please do grenadier and special skills.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Mwaha...alright.

10. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

hope im not being an annoying bastard by trying to help.

* my defense for this change is that clicking on the icon will not revive, it just helps you find the body which you need for revival.

11. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Nah it's alright.

12. spellman23

spellman23 Member

haha. Some of your fixes to BJ's were things I already changed from his revision. =]

I'll go grab the rest of your edits now. As usual, I'm not taking some edits verbatim, so if you want to be stodgy about your edit bug me.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

So, I didn't spend much time on this at all. Feel free to nitpick ^^

The Grenadier.

The grenadier is the anti-tank class. It can choose between the standard and heavier pistol variants, and comes equipped with an RPG Launcher, a Mortar weapon and mines. The mine detector is a built in function of the grenadier and will show mines up on the map as dots coloured in the enemy's theme.

The RPG fires a guidable rocket which will do damage to vehicles, but has no splash damage. The Mortar is an effective weapon against most enemies but can only be fired from the crouch position and travels in an arc. Mines are effective against vehicles and infantry and are laid on the ground to use. They will detonate if a vehicle or infantryman moves over it. If more than 8 mines are placed, the first one will disintergrate harmlessly.

The Grenadier class specific skills are Defusal, Armor Detection, Artillery Feedback and Increased Armor. Defusal allows you to defuse mines by placing your crosshairs over them and holding the "use" key for 5 seconds, you must be close to do this, either croched or prone. It also allows you to be unaffected when moving over mines as infantry and moving over mines when driving a vehicle. Armor detection allows you to see the status of friendly and enemy tanks. You can see how much armour plating the vehicles have and the hull condition, by focusing on the vehicle whether far or close.

Artillery Feedback is a skill useful when driving an artillery tank. It shows where your shells are landing as a white diamond outline on the minimap. It similarly displays where your mortar and RPG rockets land. Increased armor reduces the damage done to your vehicle by 10% when you are the driver.

14. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

er guys, hate to break it to you, you havn't included the standard skills anywhere. just thought I'd put it out there.

15. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Oops. Maybe add to 1b?

btw, should we make recommendations somewhere for the different classes if they should take a general skill? Like grens taking extra ammo?

16. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Rego, I know about the standards skills, we'll plug it into the videos separately.

17. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

kl kl

Another thing I'm thinking, and this is something quite important, is an early on note about the primary goal of the game - to destroy the CV. Just looking over 1C, perhaps you could put a sentence in about it ('The command vehicle is what the commander uses to command, the main goal of all classic maps is to destroy the enemy command vehicle while defending your own'). This is simply because people may only watch up to 3, because that covers everything infantry - new players shouldn't really be commanding anyway. It seems odd not to identify them before hand, seeing as they are very, very relevant to everyone in the game.

18. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Fair enough

19. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

lolcake

20. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Very minor change.

For all the wankage about grens, this section's gonna be really puny.